PDA

View Full Version : Meat for dogs

Islandali
11-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Hi All,

I was just wondering if you or anyone else you know of might clear their freezers out to make room for new meat? I have two dogs that are raw fed and finding venison, elk and moose is extremely hard on the island.
Please email me if you might have something....or let your buddies know.
Also, I am always looking for elk and deer necks as well....do these get tossed out when you bag a deer and butcher them?

Thanks!
Alisha Johnson

Mr. Dean
11-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Hi All,

I was just wondering if you or anyone else you know of might clear their freezers out to make room for new meat? I have two dogs that are raw fed and finding venison, elk and moose is extremely hard on the island.
Please email me if you might have something....or let your buddies know.
Also, I am always looking for elk and deer necks as well....do these get tossed out when you bag a deer and butcher them?

Thanks!
Alisha Johnson

That's where hamburger and stew meat comes from.

This is you 2nd asking in as many posts that you have made... What gives???

I know that it's the latest 'fad' diet for doggies,,, but asking strangers to feed your mut's, seems a bit 'out there' to me.

:confused:

Marc
11-19-2007, 10:42 AM
I think what she's trying to get at is if you're deboning your deer that the carcas holds enough meat and bone to feed a dog on a raw diet. I'm kicking myself now for tossing the 3 deer carcases I had this fall, I could have used it to feed my dogs.

She contacted me before she put this post up to see if it was ok and I said sure. I'm sure she's not looking at someone giving good meeat away just looking for freezer burned or scraps that no one is planning on using.

Marc
11-19-2007, 10:45 AM
I also think you can get a road kill permit from the CO's office that will allow you to take road kill for non human use.

YukonJack
11-19-2007, 10:48 AM
I have the hocks/leg bones of a moose still in the freezer that I haven't had the chance to dispose of yet...PM if y'all want 'em.

Mr. Dean
11-19-2007, 11:27 AM
I think what she's trying to get at is if you're deboning your deer that the carcas holds enough meat and bone to feed a dog on a raw diet. I'm kicking myself now for tossing the 3 deer carcases I had this fall, I could have used it to feed my dogs.

BAD BAD, Marc... ;-)

She contacted me before she put this post up to see if it was ok and I said sure. I'm sure she's not looking at someone giving good meeat away just looking for freezer burned or scraps that no one is planning on using.

Fair enough. It just struck me as being odd that in 2 posts it's "take take" and nothing given in return, or a health reason, or....

If all she wants is 'waste' (stuff that gets tossed back into the bush), that shouldn't be too hard to find, here. I'd rather see it be put to use other than mushroom rejuviner.

Islandali:

How far are willing to drive to pick up an entire carcass? To throw one in a freezer takes up a lot of room, especially if the hunter needs it for the meat.

Cdn-Redneck
11-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Had a friend who fed his Lab leftover raw moose meat and the dog developed a parasite in her skin. It cost him a chunk of money to get rid of it. Vet said it was from the game meat. Maybe try to cook it first. She got large bumps all over her skin.

Mr. Dean
11-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Had a friend who fed his Lab leftover raw moose meat and the dog developed a parasite in her skin. It cost him a chunk of money to get rid of it. Vet said it was from the game meat. Maybe try to cook it first. She got large bumps all over her skin.

:eek: :shock: :eek:

Islandali
11-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks for clarifying my post Marc.
I am NOT expecting anyone to give me good meat ....I just figured that there are probably times that you have freezer burnt meat or something along those lines(meaty bones) that would just be thrown into the garbage...so why not ask??? I couldn't do an entire carcass(maybe I need another freezer..lol...I only have a 12 cubic foot freezer that is at least half full of chicken.)
Mr. Dean---I hope Marc's explanation set the record straight...it is so hard to find Elk and Deer to feed on the island...it is common practice for raw feeders to ask local hunters...after all you are the experts and the best source for that kind of meat.
As far as how far would I travel....I'll stick to the island and would go as far south as Victoria and as far North as Cambell River.
Cdn-Redneck---I wonder if your friend fed it right off the Moose?....it seems that if you deep freeze meat it kills most parasites(except those in pacific salmon---you have to cook it)...thanks for the warning though....I'll have to post to some other raw feeders and see if they have heard of that.
Yukon-Jack---I would be interested.in your offer..excuse my ignorance...but I assume that these would take up a good chunk of space in a freezer??? Uggg, I guess it's official ...I'm a city slicker!
I have thought of the road kill route....anyone know of a good butcher that does wild game in the Nanaimo area?
Thanks all!
Alisha

Mr. Dean
11-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Alisha:

If I understand things correctly, this proccess uses up all the matter. Bones and everything gets ground, right?

If ya happen to be offered a carcass, it wouldn't take much effort to break it down to more managable bits. But you will get a tad messed up though.

I'm thinking one deer carcass could do a fair bit of feeding. Might be a good idea to get a 50 or 100 dollar freezer just for this.

Good luck.

Islandali
11-20-2007, 11:42 AM
You don't quite use everything....
Ideally...you would feed 75% meat(5-10%of that organs, green tripe, heart, kidneys, liver) and the rest of the diet divided between veggie/fruit mix and raw meaty bones...necks, ribs, etc.
Then there are recreational bones....hocks, marrow bones, etc.....I tend to rarely give these as they can fracture/break teeth....but my dogs LOVE them.

Cheers,
Alisha