PDA

View Full Version : Pups first hunt

1/2 slam
11-10-2007, 05:53 PM
For wild birds that is :-) I've had her out for released pheasants. She did AWESOME.
I had my 11 month old English Pointer pup named Dixie out for birds north of Kamloops. Am I one happy guy. She is a little hunting machine. Nose to the ground and all business. We got 3. She locked up SOLID on point. No camrea {What was I thinking?}
She is going to be a lot of fun :mrgreen:

newhunterette
11-10-2007, 06:26 PM
that's wonderful that ur pup is showing success for u - congrats

Chuck
11-10-2007, 07:20 PM
It really is a thrill to hunt behind a GOOD bird dog. Been there done that.
Congrats and best of luck to you!

Marc
11-10-2007, 07:45 PM
I never thought that hunting with a dog cold be so fun. It's sometimes more enjoyable watching the dog get excited and doing what he was trained and bred to do. Glad to see that his training has paid off.

1/2 slam
11-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Marc,

Most of the fun for me is in watching the dog work. Shooting the birds is secondary.

WoodOx
11-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Thats awesome dude.

Me and my girlfriend were thinking about getting a dog, but for various reasons (one being that we wil be living in an apartment) we will likely only get a small dog - like a miniture pincher or a miniture schnauser. I know neither of these dogs are bird dogs, but do you think they could be trained to at least effectively follow a scent trail?

Congrats to the success of your dog, must be unbelievably exciting!

Sasquatch
11-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Good on you Slam! Sounds like you got yourself one heck of a dog.

There is nothing in the sporting world that I enjoy as much as watching a dog work birds. There is just something magical about it.

1/2 slam
11-12-2007, 01:29 AM
Sasquatch,

That is very true. Those that have never seen a bird dog work are missing out.:wink: