PDA

View Full Version : Fish eating ducks?

Patrick
11-06-2007, 12:44 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

rocksteady
11-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Breast them out and make them into jerky.....Thats pretty well the only way I have done them so that they are palatable....That goes for all ducks, as I am not a fan of dark meat...

MB_Boy
11-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Whacked ONE fish eater and that was all it took.....let em all go. My Dad warned me and he told me I was going to be eating it; let's just say I understood why. I would think you would have to seriously inject the meat with some marinade and let it soak for about 2 weeks.......and then still give it to the dog. ;-)

As for the "other" quackers.....it is one of my favourite meats and there are lots of great ways to cook it.

NEEHAMA
11-06-2007, 01:05 PM
one word, DUCKARONI

NEEHAMA
11-06-2007, 01:09 PM
fish duck
sh$% duck
hollywood mallard
merg
woopsie duck
double ender

are some common names that come to mind...

Marc
11-06-2007, 01:46 PM
The key thing to eating fishy ducks is to remove as much fat as possible. The best way I've found for eating them is using them in a stew. Potatoes, carrots, onions, cut up duck , and some summer savory.

Ubertuber
11-06-2007, 03:44 PM
The best way to deal with fishy ducks is to starve yourself for a couple of weeks then eat it while plugging your nose.

Scobo
11-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I like Ubertubers response. priceless. Actually, you soak the breasts (skin removed) in milk overnight in the fridge of course and use it for making stew. Just your regular stew type veggies as per Marc, turnip, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, etc. a bit of beef boulion, water and flour and you'll actually be happy when you hit a duck instead of miss it. Although, i haven't eaten a fish duck yet but this is the only way i like to eat puddle ducks. red wine vinegar is also a good soak to get the duck taste out of the duck.

browningboy
11-09-2007, 11:15 PM
feed them to your dog

1/2 slam
11-11-2007, 07:12 AM
I would rather starve to death than eat a fish duck.

Trailmaster
11-11-2007, 08:36 AM
I found them good if you breast them cut them into strips, then shake and bake them and deep fry'em.

VanIsle
11-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Soak in a marinade overnight. Preheat BBQ and place Duck on a cedar plank. Grill over medium heat for about 1/2 hour. Throw the duck out and eat the plank.:biggrin:

marblewoodhead
11-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Soak the duck in salted water over night to take the fishy taste out of the ducks.

islandstalker
11-21-2007, 01:37 AM
Soak in a marinade overnight. Preheat BBQ and place Duck on a cedar plank. Grill over medium heat for about 1/2 hour. Throw the duck out and eat the plank.:biggrin:
oh man thats too funny.
feed it too your buddys and tell em its some kind of exotic fish.

threedhunter
11-23-2007, 05:02 PM
dad told me you put the duck in a large deep pot, put a large rock on top too hold it down, cover with water, boil for 2 days , keeping covered with water, drain off , remove rock , dispose of duck , eat rock, tastier than duck and just as tender.thats what they do on the prairies.:razz:

Bow Walker
11-25-2007, 10:53 AM
We used to call them "double-enders"......garbage in / garbage out. Later on we called them "shitters". If we made the mistake of bringing one down (didn't happen very often) we left them out there for the seals and sea lions.

TripleB's
12-02-2007, 11:03 PM
If using whole bird
Skin them, trim off all the fat and soak them in buttermilk for 48 hours in the fridge, at least two changes, with fresh butter milk. Don't reuse the buttermilk.
If breasting
Debone,cut breast into strips,soak as above and shake n' bake it.

Sikanni Stalker
12-30-2007, 01:58 PM
When I was in Newfoundland many years ago, I was given some canned turr. It's a sea-bird there, I assume it is also a fish eater of sorts but it was great and absolutely no hint of fish at all. I would love to get a turr canning recipe and try it on a duck or two to see.

Marc
12-30-2007, 02:13 PM
I should be able to get you a sea duck bottling recipe from my wifes side of the family. My father and brother inlaw used to hunt turrs all the time.

Sikanni Stalker
12-30-2007, 02:15 PM
cool man, see whatcha come up with.

Marc
12-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Mother in-law is here and she told me this. Cut up the duck skin and fat off. Cut a piece of onion and put it on the bottom of the mason jar. In Newfoundland they add a chunk of salt pork fat. Here what I use instead is some pork belly(1in. by 1/4in.) and add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to a 500ml (if not using salted pork fat)size mason jar.Fill the jar with duck/turr to an inch of the lid. Add pepper to taste.

It's a good idea to use new seals every time you're bottling meat. I think it's like $2 for a dozen lids. place the lids on just snug but not tight. You want to the gas to be able to escape. Place the jars in the canning pot/ pressure cooker and fill the with water up to the neck of the jar.

If using a canning pot bring to a light boil for 4 hours. If using a pressure cooker 1 1/2 hours.

Sikanni Stalker
12-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Yeah thanks man! I learned many years ago about chipped jars and new lids, on a batch of sockeye and coho........nuff said eh!
I guess the only problem now is..............we gotta go shoot some ducks!!!!