PDA

View Full Version : First Successful Duck Hunt!

rishu_pepper
11-03-2007, 04:50 PM
First and foremost, a big two thumbs up for Ian, who generously volunteered his time to take me out today and gave me countless useful advice along the way. Thank you so much Ian! :D

We started pretty early today, it was still dark out when we launched; after setting up all the dekes it was first light and the hunt began. Lots of birds in the beginning, but I was fumbling with the 870 as it was the first time I used it outside of the range :oops: That probably cost me 1-2 birds, and I missed one that was right beside the deke (I thought it WAS the deke!). But lady luck was on my side, and I managed to nail a bufflehead in mid-air (not bad for someone who hasn't done any wingshooting/skeet, eh? Honestly though I'd chalked that one up to beginner's luck haha). Ian continued his fine shooting and bagged 6, a variety of gadwalls and buffleheads. We couldn't find a shot drake mallard (real big too!), but I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles. The rain started to come down hard and we called it a day. Fortunately, as we packed and readied ourselves to leave, I took a coot as well. The kind Ian gave me one of his gadwalls and another bufflehead, so tonight's dinner should be plentiful!

Here are some pics; field pics will come when I receive them from Ian:

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7676/dsc01885fd1.jpg

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/9421/dsc01887qc0.jpg

(not pictured gadwall in the tub)

Needless to say I'm instantly hooked! Whether a single or a flock flies by, the adrenaline starts pumping! I definitely need more practice, and getting out the field more, just getting my feet wet (no pun intended). Not afraid of making mistakes, only afraid I won't get enough hunting till the season closes!! Next up, B-bay! And once again, cheers for Ian's help, couldn't have done it without ya!

P.S. Anybody who wouldn't mind taking a newb out along, I'm game (again no pun intended). Please PM me.

Marc
11-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Let me know how those buffleheads taste :biggrin:. Never tried a mud hen either. You'll be happy with the taste of the gadwall. Awesome, looks like you're hooked alright. Duck hunting has to be my all time favorite hunt. Lots of action and just as fun watching the dog get excited retrieving the birds.

Ian F.
11-03-2007, 08:05 PM
My pleasure Brian, my pleasure!

Not very often these days I get the chance to take someone for their first duck ever, a new species yes.

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/ianrfeir-brian.jpg

I think this picture sums at up, one happy camper!

Very best,

Ian

P.S. both buffies and coot are fine, I breast em, not sure roasted whole. As with all birds you can always get an off bird. But buffies on the freshwater are almost always fine.

Marc
11-03-2007, 09:34 PM
I had a bad episode with a couple of buffleheads. Find the meat to be like mush when roasted not stringy like a mallard. Hey if he likes them all the power to him, no shortage on them that's for sure. What do the mud hens taste like?

rishu_pepper
11-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Ooh the pic looks fantastic! Thanks Ian! :D

Both the gadwall and the buffy were roasted in the convection oven with a rub. We had a bunch of people over, most preferred the gadwall, but I'm more of a buffy fan. I had a little bonus in my gadwall breast, the pellet! :lol:

The mud hen and another buffy will become soup base for a Chinese soup (usually clear, water-like, not thick like Western soup). The soup will take most of the flavour of the meat, so it should be good soup.

Ya the old man was real interested when he heard my stories, he is definitely thinking of finally getting off his lazy butt and studying for the CORE so he can join me (he has the firearms license). That way, if he's in, then I have an excuse to get more gear :biggrin:

Marc
11-03-2007, 11:33 PM
It's an addictive sport and it gets even more addicting when you start using a dog. I have more fun working with the dog then actually shooting the birds.

I didn't do any duck hunting at all last year because I had retired my dog the season before and just couldn't push myself to do it without him. Even now when I gather my hunting stuff to go deer hunting or what have you he follows me around the house at the heal figuring we're going hunting.

The hardest part of duck hunting is trying to find a place to hunt thatr's not over crowded or people sky blasting at ducks that are over 100 yards out. Glad to see you're hooked! After a while you'll be able to tell what kind of duck it is by the sound of the wings, it's call/quack, and it's colors. Then there is goose hunting that's a whole different story.

rishu_pepper
11-03-2007, 11:54 PM
As much as I would like to spend some time to raise/train a hunting dog, I live with my family currently and my brother's allergic, so that's definitely out... :sad:

I do plan to get an ID'ing book for waterfowl. I need all the help I can get in that department. I could only tell what's a duck, a sea gull, and a coot. :p Internet's pretty useful, on the DU site there are duck sounds (weirdest thing to hear on a computer, I know).

Goose hunt would be awesome, back in the old country (well, Hong Kong) we eat geese pretty often, IMO it's better than duck, but I haven't had game geese so that's to be determined.

A field hunt would be a blast (no pun...) too, according to Ian. Easier for retrieval for dog-less/boat-less guys like me.

Marc
11-04-2007, 12:22 AM
I didn't get a dog until I was living on my own as well. You've got lots of time and hey if friends will take you out and they've got a dog then all the better :D

Canada Geese tend to be a bit milder in Flavor then Ducks and you can easily feed 3 or 4 people on one.

Dano
11-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Congratulations, good to see you were successful and had a great time. I've hunted with Ian and seen his shooting, he's a good shot and I'm sure you learned a lot more about duck hunting than you would on your own even if you hunted a whole season.
I didn't make it out yesterday but went out today. We had a good day, lots of mallards and a couple gadwal. I'm going to try and get wednesday off...
Good luck oout at the Bay, let us know how you make out. I hunted out there maybe 25 years ago but didn't know what I was doing and had limited success.
Dan

kishman
11-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Congrats Brian! Looks like a fun day. Once Deer season is over we'll have to get out.

rishu_pepper
11-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Congratulations, good to see you were successful and had a great time. I've hunted with Ian and seen his shooting, he's a good shot and I'm sure you learned a lot more about duck hunting than you would on your own even if you hunted a whole season.
I didn't make it out yesterday but went out today. We had a good day, lots of mallards and a couple gadwal. I'm going to try and get wednesday off...
Good luck oout at the Bay, let us know how you make out. I hunted out there maybe 25 years ago but didn't know what I was doing and had limited success.
Dan

You are spot on there Dan, Ian is a true shot, I only hope one day I'll be half as good as he is, and the advice I got from him, better than books/internet/TV any time!

Today must have been a good day for shooting, not as rainy as yesterday.

I'd love to go hunting on a Wednesday, but my work schedule is unpredictable, being on-call...:sad:

Congrats Brian! Looks like a fun day. Once Deer season is over we'll have to get out.

Sounds like a plan Corey. B-bay or Pitt, or other places? Gimme a shout when you are ready to shoot some ducks :p It sure was fun!

Scobo
11-06-2007, 11:40 AM
If you are new to Bbay here is some info. Someone said it best. it is hard to pick a time that works for you and what it takes to have a good day at Bbay. Bbay needs only 2 things. High tide and major wind. the ducks will fly pretty much all day in this and you will get a ton of shooting in. by high wind i mean over 50km then bring a couple boxes of shells. the wind majorly affects your shooting skills so don't feel bad for missing a lot (or maybe its just me ;). BBay is really good practice for pass shooting because that is pretty much all it is. with the wind the ducks see where you are and try to go around you but the wind blows them right over your head. just stay motionless then wait until exactly when you want to shoot before you move.
now for safety, if you are way out on a flood tide (tide is going up) make sure you have a route planned back to the dike. there are channels there that will put you over your head in water so make note of this on your way out. also, when the tide is high you can't see the channels which makes it even more exciting. so my advise is pick an area and get to know it and where the channels are. and if someone is just down the shore from you don't shoot at ducks 75 yards just to scare them away from the next guy and maybe he'll do the same for you. maybe i'll see you out there!

BayBoy
11-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Glad to here it worked out for you! Maybe we will see you out on the Pitt the next few weekends. Finally my friends and I will be able to do a few big hunts now that our schedules are clearing up!

rishu_pepper
11-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Scobo, thanks for the advice! This really answered a lot of my questions regarding B-bay.

50km winds! That doesn't happen a lot does it? Even so, I'm willing to give her a go. Shooting (and missing) is the only way to learn eh?

I checked the tide tables before I went on Monday, and I arrived about 1 hour before high tide.

But the main problem is, I don't really know how far out I should walk out to set up? The place I set up was about knee-deep in water when I got there, not deep/far out enough?

Another thing, should I have set up dekes there? I put down a dozen (6 on each side).

I was on the 104 St. side, will probably go back there next time, just to be familiar with the area. Maybe I'll see you around!

If you are new to Bbay here is some info. Someone said it best. it is hard to pick a time that works for you and what it takes to have a good day at Bbay. Bbay needs only 2 things. High tide and major wind. the ducks will fly pretty much all day in this and you will get a ton of shooting in. by high wind i mean over 50km then bring a couple boxes of shells. the wind majorly affects your shooting skills so don't feel bad for missing a lot (or maybe its just me ;). BBay is really good practice for pass shooting because that is pretty much all it is. with the wind the ducks see where you are and try to go around you but the wind blows them right over your head. just stay motionless then wait until exactly when you want to shoot before you move.
now for safety, if you are way out on a flood tide (tide is going up) make sure you have a route planned back to the dike. there are channels there that will put you over your head in water so make note of this on your way out. also, when the tide is high you can't see the channels which makes it even more exciting. so my advise is pick an area and get to know it and where the channels are. and if someone is just down the shore from you don't shoot at ducks 75 yards just to scare them away from the next guy and maybe he'll do the same for you. maybe i'll see you out there!

Scobo
11-07-2007, 02:05 PM
let me know how you make out there. i typically go to either 64th or i think 72nd or 80th?? (whichever one is the airport turnoff). but there are ducks all over the place down there. make sure you get the lower valley hunting map so you know the boundaries. legally you need to be 100meters from the dike to shoot. This is also in respect to the non-hunters that use the dike. we need to follow those rules otherwise the rights could be taken away.
that's right about the wind and that is why Bbay is such a tough place to hunt due to timing. I have done alright there in high tide with a spread but not ever as good as on a really windy day. its close to home so a bad day there is never really a bad day to me. A funny story from years ago when i first moved here from the flatlands was that i set up a spread in the dark and by the time it was shooting time they were in the sand. but the funny thing was i called in 2 flocks. they were probably trying to figure out what their buddies were doing sitting sideways in the sand.