PDA

View Full Version : Willow Creek Outfitters

David Heitsman
11-02-2007, 09:49 PM
I am hunting this week and next with WCO for mule deer and white tail deer. We are south of Calgary.

First day which was yesterday I took a 170" heavy massed mule deer and now today another hunter has taken a 186" mule deer as well.

Now I am looking for a white tail which may be a bit more difficult. I do have to commend Alberta on there Mule Deer Management programs.

I wish I could see some limited entry trophy areas introduced to BC. It's great seeing deer with some size to them since they have been allowed to get more than two or three years old. Last year I took a 165" non typ
here.

Wish I knew how to post pics. Will try to figure it out when I get back home.

BCrams
11-03-2007, 12:16 AM
I'll have to interject here on the idea of LEH trophy areas introduced to BC.

As far as deer go, we do not need it. We have many trophy bucks available for harvest. A person just needs to work harder at it.

Congrats on a fine buck and hopefully you will get onto a big whitetail.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-03-2007, 04:38 AM
I'll have to interject here on the idea of LEH trophy areas introduced to BC.

As far as deer go, we do not need it. We have many trophy bucks available for harvest. A person just needs to work harder at it.

Congrats on a fine buck and hopefully you will get onto a big whitetail.

x2!

Outfitters here in BC regularily take bucks like that(and bigger) and they deal with a resident GOS(usually a long one). With the open country in Alta, LEH for mulies is a little more of a neccessity.

Congrats!
Now hurry up and figure out those pics as you still owe us a sheep hunt story:smile:.

SSS

boxhitch
11-03-2007, 06:37 AM
David, your trophy room must have expanding room, as you keep racking up the good kills. Congrats.

Outfitters here in BC regularily take bucks like that(and bigger)

'Regularily' may occur in the Peace country where they have access to private land. Anywhere else maybe should be 'occasionaly'?

Stone Sheep Steve
11-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Dunno 'bout that. Regularily see some great bucks from the southern part of the province. If you're nice I'll tell you where they're from;-).

SSS

calvin L
11-03-2007, 07:31 AM
I think most time you see the nice bucks at harley's . LOL . We could always go like sask you have to be a resident to hunt mule deer . I also think it is the same for elk (not farmed )

Islandeer
11-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Nice bucks. The last thing we need here in BC are more limited oppurtunity hunts. While this could grow a few more hat racks it will diminish hunter oppurtunity as far as numbers go. The resident hunters in BC are losing oppurtunities already, game management should encourage more hunters to join or rejoin our lifestyle, not to make things more difficult with more special seasons. For those who want to hunt big bucks, put in the work and the time and eventually you will get one, or go to Alberta and get guided.

Seeadler
11-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Get away from the roads and there are big bucks all over BC.

Krico
11-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Congrats on the buck David. Well done.

I am with the others though in my opinion of introduction of more LEH hunts in BC being a bad idea-especially for a species as plentiful in the province as Mulies. I haven't yet shot a trophy mulie, but I know if I put in my time and concentrated on them I would get my chance sooner or later-without having to leave the province.

GoatGuy
11-03-2007, 02:33 PM
'Regularily' may occur in the Peace country where they have access to private land. Anywhere else maybe should be 'occasionaly'?

170+ for the outfitter where we hunt all mountains not in 7B. Most haven't figured out how to hunt them and can't sell the hunts when they're competing with the easy hunts in NM.

GoatGuy
11-03-2007, 02:37 PM
I wish I could see some limited entry trophy areas introduced to BC. It's great seeing deer with some size to them since they have been allowed to get more than two or three years old.

If you're having a hard time finding 170 bucks in BC you might be looking in the wrong places. :lol:

There's plenty to be had.

bruin
11-04-2007, 03:20 PM
I would agree, we have the same bucks but we have to work for them usually. I have been in Alberta for 3 years now and missed 3 hunting seasons in BC. I have seen some awesome bucks and have yet to go out without seeing big deer. However, I can't wait to get back to BC and would much rather be there than here. Looking forward to seeing the pics

David Heitsman
11-05-2007, 08:48 PM
SS Steve,

My sheep hunt story is currently at the printers being published in the Wild Sheep Society magazine. Should be out in another couple weeks.
Drop me a note if your not a member and I'll get you signed up!

As to the deer LEH season I still think it would be a good idea for BC somewhere to have a trophy managed area. Every state has it and most provinces have it. It doesn't have to the whole province or even a GMU, just an area.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the offer but I'm already a "lifer". Looking forward to the read when it arrives.

SSS