PDA

View Full Version : Dog food for active lion hounds??

Sniper
03-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Anybody have any thoughts or recommedations for a good quality dog food? I'm feeding Nutro Natural Choice chicken and rice right now dogs seem to like it but it is a tad expensive. I found a good discussion on this here http://www.exit201.com/shadetree/showthread.php?t=626 the most popular down south being Diamond brand but I have never seen this brand here. Ken

fester
03-10-2005, 06:22 PM
if you look at the bag some are very high percentage of protein
you gotta try to stay away with dog foods that have a lot of preotein in them because they can build up and get stones and can't pee then there bladder could explode

SteadyGirl
03-10-2005, 09:16 PM
I have been feeding my dog Go Natural for three years+ now and she doesn't look or act like shes aged a day. Has good energy and keeps up with other larger dogs all day. You have to call around to find a shop that carries it. All natural, steaks fruit and veggies, no preservitaves or bs filler. Cost is about $65 a bag works out to 2bucks a pound I think. I highly reccomend it and won't ever go back. Nutro is high end too, and what I used to feed mine but I noticed a huge difference as soon as I put her go natural.

Steady

black 'n blue
03-10-2005, 09:36 PM
I feed OL Roy from Wallymart and they do just fine. The hounds have good coats and lots of GO.

leftcoast
03-10-2005, 09:56 PM
I feed the BARF diet. Biologically Acceptable Raw Food.

You go put a cob of corn, a cup of wheat, some soy beans, and a pound of raw hamburger in a field about 1 foot from each other and watch which one the coyote or wolf or dog will go to.

=keith=

Barracuda
03-10-2005, 11:01 PM
I am with Black and Blue on this one . Ol roy maximum pro diet is what my hounds get. and they do well on it . I have tried various brands but the two hounds seem to work the best with it

There is so much misinformation out there on nutrional quality of dog foods it makes me chuckle . Most of it is an attempt by the marketer to gain you bussiness of folks that dont know any better . Go to the labs (or better yet get a job in one)that do the testing and ask them the facts on dog food quality (Or any food or feed for that matter) Some of the ones that are meant to be premium are not and some of the lesser ones are of better quality than most people would have you belive.

If i could get meat for a really good price(be nice if i or my wife was a butcher) i think i would try a modified BARF diet and see how that works.

Sniper
03-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Barf sounds good to me but I need a source for reasonably priced horse meat.:smile:

houndogger
03-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Barf diet is the only way to go if your not lazy. Lefty and I are getting cows given to us all the time with the boarder closed. Little bet of extra work though killing cows and choping up meat but the difference in a active hound is unreal. Hardly any crap to clean up. No fillers in this stuff.

leftcoast
03-12-2005, 07:04 PM
We also buy chicken backs and necks in 16 kg boxes. 59 cents a pound over here on the Island. In AAbbotsford or Surrey, probably 40-45 cents a pound. 100 pound dog needs 2 pounds a day. 50 pound dog= a pound a day. Feed them bones and all.

We have talked a few people with pets into this diet. The difference in the dogs is amazing.

I ran sled dogs up north for a few years. Buddy and me got a good deal on a semi load of horse meat. Fed it to the dogs. Couldn't believe the difference in attitude and stamina. And as houndogger says, smaller poop piles and less smell and dogs that just seem happier and healthier. Been feeding meat ever since.

Lots of guys using the modified approach and with good results.

=keith=

Marc
03-12-2005, 07:15 PM
there is a guy from work who's got a road kill permit and feeds the road killed deer to his breeding boxers.

leftcoast
03-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Marc he is a smart man.Have you seen his Boxer's? I bet they look good. My dogs love deer meat. Makes them hate lions. ;)

=keith=

Marc
03-12-2005, 11:09 PM
keith I haven't seen his dogs but I've heard the pups sell for top dollar.

Marc.