PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new retriever for christmas

Marc
10-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Finally talked my wife into letting me get a new dog. My hunting partner is now 11 years old and has bad hips. I keep telling my wife I'd like to do some duck hunting but I need a new retriever as I've retired Nash.

Was out checking out this guy tonight.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/lab_pup.JPG

kaptkannon
10-31-2007, 11:52 PM
Cute pup. Is that from the breeder there in Duncan?

Kitimat Killer
11-01-2007, 02:56 AM
thats a nice looking dog

Marc
11-01-2007, 05:05 AM
Cute pup. Is that from the breeder there in Duncan?

Yes it is off Cowichan lake road.

calvin L
11-01-2007, 05:47 AM
You are not really thinking of corrupting that little guy to become a hunter are you :eek:. Is this not going to make him a healthy well trained partner that will be loved and he will love back . He has big feet look out .:p

calvin L

sako7mm
11-01-2007, 07:37 AM
One word, Awwww

Thats a cute looking pup, I can't wait to get out of the rental market...

Browningmirage
11-01-2007, 08:10 AM
how much is he? Looking at getting one myself, but being in university, i think i will wait until i have the time to devote to the dog, they deserve nothing less than the best.

Doe Eyes
11-01-2007, 08:28 AM
What is there to think about??????

pupper
11-01-2007, 09:16 AM
nice looking pupp, looks exactly like my dog when he was a pupp. he is a lab/retriever (nice mix)

pics:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=28707&l=bfad2&id=848055360

Browningmirage
11-01-2007, 09:36 AM
What is there to think about??????

the fact that i wouldnt be able to dedicate all of my time to one. Maybe i should just drop out of University

newhunterette
11-01-2007, 10:16 AM
why is it when I see a puppy, or a kitten, or a baby my maternal insticts kick in and I look at Peter and he says "NO NO NO, we have enough pets and our kids are finally good to go"

Marc - very adorable pup

Alison

Jimsue
11-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Two questions, have the hips and elbows been tested on both parents by OFFA?, and have the eyes been tested on the parents? If not why would you want to put any time into training it, all pups look cute but are they sound and trainable, from proven parents. I hope this is a breeder that cares about the breed. I have two yellow males left from a litter of 11, they may cost more but the quality of dog also increases.

Jimsue
11-01-2007, 02:25 PM
It looks like they left the dew claws on, that could be a trip to the vet for you down the road and some serious avoidable pain for the dog.
It costs about $5 per pup to have them removed in the first 3 days of there life, it can end a hunting trip and be fairly costly should he rip it off in the field.

Sasquatch
11-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Nice lookin pup.
Good advice about checking the parents for hips and eyes. Might as well put the odds in your favour.

Marc
11-01-2007, 07:50 PM
I've decided after talking with the breeder not to purchase the lab pup. After the lack of any titles from the parents and hearing that they are bred for show and house pets I've decided to turn my attention somewhere else.

I'm now in touch with a breeder that has working hunting dogs that are certified and guaranteed against eyes and hip problems. Both parents have titles and have excellent temperaments. I’ve wanted a chessie for ever but when I had gotten my first lab my wife wouldn’t let me have a chessie. Now it looks like she’s given me a bit more leeway in what I choose so it looks like I may have a chessie pup by mid November. Minus the dew claws.

http://www.hightidechessies.com/HIGH_TIDE_CHESAPEAKES/Photo_Gallery_files/shapeimage_2.jpghttp://www.hightidechessies.com/HIGH_TIDE_CHESAPEAKES/Puppies_files/shapeimage_4.jpg

Jimsue
11-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Your worst day hunting with a lab will be better than your best day hunting with a chesapeake, a chesapeake training kit contains, a whistle a 2 X 4, and a bottle of Asprin. In all my years of field trials I have never ever seen one compete, but I'm sure someone has?????

Seriously give me a call I have some great pups on the ground now that are ready to go next week, tomorrow is pigeon day for them, there first birds, they are 6 weeks old. The birdy pups go to hunting homes and the not so birdy pups make great pets. The last litter produced some great young dogs, this is a repeat breeding.

Marc
11-02-2007, 02:03 PM
I find your comments a bit rude and uncalled for but I guess being a breeder and trying to push your pups you must resort to these tactics.

I deleted your for sale post a couple of days ago. You might want to read over the buy and sell guidelines before you try to sell your pups again.

Sasquatch
11-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Good call letting the pup from show lines go. I had a show bred springer once that wouldn't have found a bird sitting on her head.

I have heard that chessies can be stubborn and require more work training. One of the reasons I got a griff, was that they are supposed to be easier to train and that was important to me. All a matter of your priorities I guess.

Go with your instincts and you probably won't be wrong.

Got a name picked out?

Marc
11-02-2007, 09:46 PM
I just put a deposit on a male chessie pup tonight, picking it up on the 16th of this month at 8 1/2 weeks old. Both parents have tracking, hunting, and working titles. The breeder is picking me out a birdy dog.

I've hunted over two chessies and in both cases the dogs performed like a retriever should. One we used over pheasants and was a great flushing and retrieving dog. The other we hunted over salt water in Dec back east in -15C weather. They are great retrievers and have their place in hunting. I think it comes down to what kind of dog you like. It's like trucks, some like Fords and others like Chevy. They are both different but do the same thing in the end.

The name I was thinking about is "Quota", the wife laughed at me and said "you're not calling the dog that" only problem is it's not her dog to decide.:mrgreen:

Dirty
11-02-2007, 10:19 PM
What color chesapeake are you getting? They are really neat dogs. I met a guy fishing that had two and they were nice. These ones were a lot bigger than most labs you see though. I think the owner of the dog has a lot more influence then the breed of the dog. You made a good choice.

Marc
11-02-2007, 10:29 PM
It's hard to tell exactly what color they'll be when they mature, here is a picture of the father and the litter at a younger age. Color isn't so much of a big deal with me I'm more interested in a dog that will perform then it's color.

The breeder is going to forward me some recent pictures tomorrow and hopefully she can narrow the one I'm getting down to me. You can bet that when I get back on the 16th I'll have pictures posted up of the new addition to the family.

http://www.hightidechessies.com/HIGH_TIDE_CHESAPEAKES/Photo_Gallery_files/shapeimage_5.jpg

http://www.hightidechessies.com/HIGH_TIDE_CHESAPEAKES/Puppies_files/shapeimage_3.jpg

Barracuda
11-02-2007, 11:28 PM
very cute pups the wife says you should call the one you get Russet (cause they look like little red potatoes)

Jimsue
11-03-2007, 10:54 AM
I didn't think we were quite so sensitive, it was meant to be a bit toung and cheek. However it is a fact and another member did agree that for a novice trainer they can be a bit of a challange with regards to training.The final dog will be a result of 30% genitics, 30% enviroment, and the rest is up to the trainer. I can't find your Buy And Sell guidelines ,I would thank you in advance for pointing me in there direction. I did how ever follow a similar format to the GSP ad that is still there, or did I miss something.

The colour of the pups will change over the first year.

With regards to being a breeder, i don't make a living of selling pups. It amazes me the amount of calls I get when I have pups for sale, from people who are happy to buy any thing that looks like a lab. With regards to any breed find out what the common problems are and ask to see proof that they have been tested and are clear. All breeds have a club, call the Canadian Kennel Club they will hook you up. For hunting dogs ask the CKC who the Field Trial Clubs are in your area.

The bottom line is I may spend more on a dog than you think is reasonable. I spend hundreds on testing, shots,etc, etc. But I am proud of my dogs. They cost you a bit more because they are better, because I care about the breed.

The stud dog is a good looking boy, I'm sure you will be more than succesful with your new pup.

Regarda Jim

Marc
11-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Jim, some people take that joke seriously and honestly believe that a chessie is un-trainable. I’m about to prove that wrong.:mrgreen:

Here is a pictures of one of the pups at 7 weeks playing.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/deadgrass_boy_playing.jpg

RoadKing
11-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Marc - we've become the proud owners of a Chessie as of this summer. Amazing pup - definitely hard headed at times, but super intelligent and already a great retriever. You'll be glad you chose the breed, as they're very loyal, hard working and feel no pain...

Our's came from Tsunami Kennels in Smithers. My wife's family had a dog from the same breeder, and they definitely produce some birdy dogs.

Sasquatch
11-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Nice pups. I bet your anxious to take one home. I'd get another dog in a minute if I could.
Every time I see a pic of a nice hunting pup, I want one.

Quota has a really nice ring to it.

Marc
11-03-2007, 04:15 PM
I’m purchasing my chessie from High Tide Chesapeakes in Surrey from Gayle Brady. This woman loves her dogs, I'm still trying to convince her that it’s ok to let one go to my house:biggrin:. I've spent probably 3 hours talking to her on the phone in the past 3 days, I think I got her in trouble once when her husband came home and found her on the phone.:biggrin: This woman loves working with these dogs and the breed in general. I can't wait to work with the dog and Gayle over the next couple of years as the dog develops into a hunting machine.

One of the best things about living on Vancouver Island is mild winters and open water all year long. Lots of time to get him trained up to start retrieving birds next fall.

Jimsue
11-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi Marc, I tried to send a PM reply but some how messed it up. I'm not a registered kennel. I'm a member of CKC and breed on occasion, the pups will be CKC registered. I don't see the difference between selling pups or guns , unless its a business, your primary source of income. You have a venue for me to sell all my guns if I wish, these pups are bred to hunt I think this would be a great place to promote them.
It's your bat and ball.

With regards to any water training you are planning on, take 5 min. and go to www.conwaykennels.com (http://www.conwaykennels.com) there is a good article under tips of the month and starting young dogs around guns. Many of your Island dogs have spent time at Brooke's.
Nice looking pup.

Marc
11-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks Jim, when I first trained my lab I didn't make him swim far for the first part he actually didn't like the water at all. But he wanted his dummy toy, so I just put it out far enough that he had to swim with it. There is plenty of training that can be done on land until the water warms up. If he's anything like my female lab she brakes ice to go for a swim. Even now my male will not purposely go for a swim but if there is a bird down or his toy is out there he's in there. My female rolls in every puddle of water she finds and the male just walks in chest high and takes a drink.

Marc
11-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Just got off the phone with the breeder about an hour ago trying to figure a day to go over. I'm thinking it may be the 14th now. She told me she now has all her pups sold and two more people on a waiting list. I'm glad I jumped on the wagon when I did.

Man I don't think you guys realize how excited I am to get this new puppy. It will definitely rekindle my interest in duck and goose hunting.

bsa30-06
11-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Sounds like your going to have a great new friend and hunting partner, cant wait to see the pictures of your pup.Good luck with him/her.

Tarp Man
11-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Marc, congratulations on your new pup! I really like Quota for a name... definitely has a good ring to it. I will never forget coming hom3e with my first dog, a golden retirever out of Zebulun's line of field stock. She was the best dog ever. Stuck in a condo is no place for a dog, so it is pretty cool to see you renew your love of waterfowling and dogs. Having the new pup around an older dog will also be very helpful. The wise ones teach stuff to the young ones (hopefully good things!) faster thatn we ever could. Congratulations.

Marc
11-04-2007, 03:39 PM
From what the breeder was telling me it's either this guy or another male.

MB_Boy
11-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Awesome Marc!! That was the only kind of dog our family had......great water dogs and awesome retrievers!!

I must say that I am jealous....I am dying to get another one, but work keeps me travelling too much right now.

BCrams
11-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Congrats on the chessie Marc.

I used to own one. I also had a male chessie but if I get another - I'd get a female for better temperament.

I am sure the stories are different for every Chessie owner - good, bad or frustrating.

Here's what I learned - I did need asprin when training him. Had I had a 2x4 - I would have been sorely tempted to use it but I didn't have one.

Many many days I swore, and wanted to box him between the ears.

Stubborn and headstrong doesn't begin to describe a chessie......a mind of his own on many days.

However, in the end - when he cued in, he was a damned good water dog and retreiver bar none.

One particular day I remember most was a great goose shoot - he was just so excited and didn't want to heal until given the command to retrieve for some reason. I figured I'd tie him to my waist after an hour ..... so he wouldn't spook more incoming flocks after we downed some......I accidentally tied a slip knot ..... I underestimated the strength and his will to go and retrieve a goose ....... next bird drops and before I could do anything ... he tore out of the blind knocking me to my ass and dragged me across the field until we got to the goose ....... the dog looks back with a dumbfounded look as if he was saying "hey I got it" .... Quite the spectacle and the guys in the blind couldn't stop laughing at the sight of me being dragged and cussing the whole time.

Eventually he got a disease at the base of the spine where the tailbone joins and he could no longer swim without suffering severe pain afterwards....and I did what was best for him and gave him to a family on a farm where he can run and do as he pleased (one of the hardest things I ever did).

pupper
11-05-2007, 10:01 AM
From what the breeder was telling me it's either this guy or another male.

Hey Marc, it looks a little strange to have the caption " I love animals, there delicious" right underneath the photo of this pupp:biggrin:

Marc
11-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I've done some reading and I've heard they can be hard to train but once you've got them knowing what you want there's just no stoping them from completing the task. Sounds like your dog had some drive and drag. :biggrin:

I'm up to the challenge and plan on starting his training from Day 1 when I receive him. First thing is not to crap and pee on the floor. Then when he's mastered that then the obedience training starts, sit, heal, come stay. A bit of tossing the dummy with feathers on it in the fenced yard as well to keep him birdy.

Jimsue
11-05-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm not bringing up the training kit again , one of the best non-collar books on the market is " The Working Retriever " by Tom Quinn you can get it on Ebay for about $12, it would still be worth it at $120.00

Can you let me know if there is a place here to sell my Lab pups, only 3 left, 2 yellow males and one fox red female.

Tom Quinn is also does wildlife and dog paintings in water colour, there is a great one of a Chesse in the book.

regards Jim

Marc
11-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Jim post them up in the buy and sell under off topic for the last 3 dogs.

I picked up the book the 10-minute retriever on Ebay but I really got soaked on the shipping. :???:

islandarcher
11-06-2007, 01:34 PM
I think whatever dog you choose is a very personal choice, and if you are willing almost any breed can be trained to perform a task within reasonable limits.

My personal choice is a beagle. I would never expect it to retrieve downed geese for me, but do plan to train it to blood trail downed big game. People keep telling me a beagle is too fast paced to be a good blood tracker, and that I should consider a terrier. Personally I can't stand Terrriers, though I have heard great things about Ken's dog ;>)

Guess I am in the same boat Marc, gonna prove 'em wrong!

FlyingHigh
11-07-2007, 05:41 PM
congrats marc. let us know how it pans out for you. and i demand pics! :D

i love dogs. i have my heart on a pure bred black lab. trained for both waterfowl and upland game bird retrieval (if possible). dogs are truly man's best friend. i can't wait to be driving a logging road with a trusty dog by my side.

11-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Congrats Mark.....you will enjoy!! Chessies aren't stubborn, they are determined!! :) Good choice going with a male, owning both, l find my boy is alot easier to work with then the girls (although the females are still young).

Marc
11-10-2007, 09:01 PM
This is Marshall at 7 1/2 weeks.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/marshall.jpg

Bow Walker
11-11-2007, 10:26 AM
He's a beaut Marc. It'll be loads of fun for you while training. I bet he gives you lots of laughs and licks.

newhunterette
11-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Marc - he is so adorable - he looks like he is gonna be a big one

heheheh dang I miss Hunter being a puppy

The 'Hummer'
11-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Looks great Marc. Two and a half years ago since my little 'blond' friend was that size and looked like that. Merry Christmas??:wink:

1/2 slam
11-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Nice looking pup Marc. Keep us updated on the training...good and bad.:smile:

houndogger
11-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Nice pup Marc. Looks like alot of fun to come:)

MB_Boy
11-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Looks great Marc!! I have heard of males being a bit more headstrong than females (we always have had females), however once trained they are awesome bird dogs and great pets as well. Also keeping ours out of the water was a challenge in itself; as soon as we used to open the front door at the cabin in the morning she would run full tilt down the trail to the water and full speed off the end of the dock without breaking stride. That was where she would spend her days waiting for someone to come and play with her.

Our last Chessie used to retrieve circles around a friends male lab....she was trained by a professional lab breeder who trained his dogs for field trials. He actually ran her in a few and she did very well.

We had so many people ask about our dog, and if we would ever consider breeding her as so many were impressed with her retrieving skills. She came from trial bloodlines and the breeder was in Idaho.

Thunderstix
11-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Pretty sweet little pup!

Marc
11-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Well I'm getting pretty excited. I fly back home from the East Coast tomorrow and first thing Friday morning I'm catching the morning Ferry for Vancouver to pick up my new puppy!

Fisher-Dude
11-21-2007, 09:31 AM
That's a nice lookin pup! Pups are masters at adopting YOU...they know just how to look at you to make you say "I'll take 'em!"

Have fun Marc, good luck with the new furball!

1/2 slam
11-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Marc,

post pictures of the pup after you pick him/her up....:-D

alremkin
11-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Hm some nice looking dogs here...One thing that worries me a bit about about these special breeds is the $$$. I notice no one had mention the $$$ of the pups. Does that mean if you have to ask you can't afford one? Come on guys admit how much $$$ you're paying.:lol:

I'm not a bird hunter and while these dogs would make good pets and companions, what I'd like is just a good mut with good instincts that could cover my 6 when I go exploring for moose with my 416 next summer up here in the land of 1,000 griz.

Marc
11-21-2007, 07:29 PM
For a pure bred working retriever pup you're going to pay in the ball park of $1000.00

alremkin
11-21-2007, 07:56 PM
That sounds like a lot, but once he's grown Vet bills and quality dog food will probably run about that figure $1,000/year. Is that for just a good hunting dog or does it also have show dog breeding?

Tikka7mm
11-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Right on Marc! I'd be excited too. I just got a puppy myself; a brindle boxer. She's 4 and a half months old. Not much of a hunting breed but a really great companion none the less. I tried the bird hunting thing last season for my first time. It was great fun and I did alright but I didn't really enjoy the meat all that much otherwise I probably would have considered a hunting dog as well. Anyways, keep us posted on your training and success etc. I am sure there are more than just a few members who are curious to see how things progress for you.

jiggy
11-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Nice looking pup!

Jimsue
11-22-2007, 02:45 PM
At $1000 for a good pup it works out to about twenty cents per day for 14 years, would any of us miss that? Yes, cheaper dogs are available and can work out just fine, but as with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Barracuda
11-22-2007, 03:09 PM
sorry but the saying you get what you pay for is not true. if it were true then no one would get good deals on anything. as for hunting dogs I would sooner have one of my dogs go to the right people for less then the wrong people for more and I know many other breeders that feel the same way.
I as well as many other hunters and breeders are for the betterment of the breed not the betterment of the pocketbook.
Just because you paid or are selling for more does not always mean that you are getting or giveing more just that the purchaser is paying more.

Marc
11-23-2007, 07:10 AM
It's like anything else every once in a while you get a lemon. I went with the breeder I did because of the look and titles the parents had.It's not fool proof of getting a bad dog but your chances increase if both parents are good hunters.

I had a chance to buy a $600 lab pup but it was bread as a pet, parents had no titles or were ever used for hunting.

We'll I'm off in a half hour or so to cross the ferry. I'll post some pictures when I get home if I can get him to sit still long enough.:mrgreen:

Marc
11-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Wow what another busy day. I'm so tired it's not funny. Finaly got Marshall home where he didn't waste any time christening the house. I've never seen a puppy drink and pee so much in my life. :lol:

The little bugger was barking in my ear pretty much to the ferry terminal. Then I started singing to him and he went to sleep. I'm not sure if that's good or bad :|

Here is a picture of the little guy tuckered out keeping close to me as he's still not sure of the other two dogs. This was taken about a minute ago. I'll take some more lively pictures in the morning when I'm sure he'll have me up with the roosters.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/marshall_sleeping.JPG

BlacktailStalker
11-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Hard to believe that lil guy will be a hard working partner in not too many days to come. Great looking pup, best of luck with training him !

Barracuda
11-23-2007, 11:36 PM
thats a really nice looking pup. Cant wait to hear about the misadventures of puppyhood in the months to come:smile: (chewing,barking,digging up the plants and all that other fun stuff)

Jimbo
11-24-2007, 12:09 AM
These are going to be fun times for you!! Dog toys, retreiving dummies, swimming, wings, birds, ... we're looking forward to all the stories.

Marc
11-24-2007, 06:17 AM
We'll I'm up again for the second time tonight. Who would have thought such a little dog could make so much noise.:lol:

Here are a couple more pictures of the pack in action.

Penny wasn't sure what to make at Marshall's play advances.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Penny_Marshall.JPG

This one is of Marshall Prancing from the water bowl with a full piss tank.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Marshall_Prancing.JPG

Here Nash and Marshall do some male bonding while Penny takes a nap in her crate.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Marshall_Nash.JPG

Marc
11-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Decided to treat the dogs today with some pre frozen raw bones. Well they freaked out. The older dogs took their bones and went into their crates. The young guy flopped around the floor chewing the meat off.

I went over to pat the pup and see how he would react to me touching him while he was eating. The little bugger lunged and snaped at me 3 times. So I go get my leather work gloves, put them on and let him know who's boss before it gets out of hand. Take it and give it back a few times then move on the big guys. Well my female growls at me as well. Hey! Give! as I'm taking it from her. She figured it out pretty quick. They realy enjoyed the new bones. For those who haven't tried it with their digs be carefull of their reactions if your dog isn't trained to allow you to take their food away.

Brambles
11-25-2007, 10:25 PM
For those who haven't tried it with their digs be carefull of their reactions if your dog isn't trained to allow you to take their food away.

I don't give my dog bones anymore, mainly because he'll take them outside and bury them in the yard but not fill in any of the holes. Makes for dangerous walking.

I made sure to break him of any protective food traits when he was young, didn't want a kid coming close to him while he was eating and getting bit. He doesn't care if I take food away from him now.

Marc
11-25-2007, 10:55 PM
Any other time the dogs would let me take anything but for some strange reason these raw bones they just went nuts for them. Definitely need to sort this out sooner then later.

Paulyman
11-25-2007, 11:16 PM
congratulations on the new pup, i definitley know how excited you must be,i just picked up my new bird hunting dog a Portuguese Water Dog in the photos below. a new dog in the family brings a certain energy which is so much fun!
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/Paulyman_ca/DSCN2005.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/Paulyman_ca/DSCN2018.jpg

Marc
11-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Here is another picture of Marshall outside eating snow with Penny.

I was duty last night and my wife was looking after him for me. He chewed my keyboard conection wire in two and chewed up one of my computer speaker wires as well. The speaker I can fix but the keyboard is toast. He also chewed up my laptop power cord two days ago.:-? I spent a good hour today raising and hiding any other wire that he may have a hankening to chew on.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Marshall_s_frst_snow_fall.JPG

MB_Boy
11-27-2007, 04:42 PM
He looks awesome Marc......sorry about the wiring, but he looks great.

Marc
11-27-2007, 04:55 PM
He looks awesome Marc......sorry about the wiring, but he looks great.

He's terrorizing the other two dogs. He constantly barking and jumps at them trying to get them to play with him.:mrgreen: Penny is finally starting to warm up to him I actually caught then laying on the same dog bed this morning. Usually he cuddles with Nash my male Lab.

Had him in for his initial visit with the Vet and they told me he is an exceptional specimen of his breed. I put him on the scale and he now weighs 21 1/2 lbs at 9 weeks. I brought all 3 dogs in to get their annuals done ,well that was a treat I’ll tell you. I had no problem finding someone to baby sit Marshall while I was trying to bring the other two in for their checkups. Nash lost about 4 lbs since his last annual and Penny gained 4 lbs.:| I'm hoping with the new dog in town it will help motivate to get the other two more active and lose a bit of weight in the process.

houndogger
11-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Ya I can tell the price of that little bugger is cheap compared to his first year of chewing:biggrin: You will laugh about it later I am sure...

Marc
11-28-2007, 09:06 PM
The little bugger wanted to go out last night at midnight and again at 4:00am. I'm in the process of crate training him so I have to take him outside to enforce peeing outside as a good behavior. I'm pretty much wiped right now. Trying to stay up long enough to tire him out before I go to bed myself.

Marc
11-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Had the dogs to the lake this afternoon, Marshall tore up and down the shore while Nash and Penny fetched a few sticks I threw for them. It did all of then some good to get out and get some fresh air. There was about 20 ducks there at the edge of the lake but Marshall never paid them much attention besides eating the duck crap along the shore.

Here is a picture I took a couple minutes ago of Marshall figuring there's enough room for him and Nash in Nash's crate.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/nash_and_marshall.JPG

Fisher-Dude
11-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Yummmmmmmm, duck crap! :D

My dog liked to get into horse crap when he was a pup, and got some sort of stomach bug that cost about $250 at the vets to cure. :(

The pinch collar worked great on anti-crap training. On our walks, I would let him wander over to check out a pile of steamy morsels, and as soon as he got within chewing distance, I gave him a strong correction with the pinch collar and a firm "NO!" Within a few days, he was finished with horse crap, and now ignores it completely.

Looks like the dogs are doing really well Marc.

bruin
11-29-2007, 09:04 PM
typical puppy, tonnes of energy, and lots of fun and entertainment. Looks like a great dog Marc, any advances toward basic training yet?

Marc
11-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Well he'll have been here a week as of tomorrow, so far he's learned:
-that #2 is for outside. He still hasn't mastered #1 yet but it's getting better. I've been crate training him since two days ago so it's improving as it goes along. The first night I might have gotten 4 hours sleep last night I manged 6 in total.
-He learned to sit on command.
-I've also taught him that he's not allowed in the bathroom that has the dog food in it. Now he sits in front of the door opening patiently awaiting his meals.

typical puppy, tonnes of energy, and lots of fun and entertainment. Looks like a great dog Marc, any advances toward basic training yet?

bruin
11-30-2007, 12:11 AM
Wow that's pretty impressive for so early. When do you usually start your dogs on hunter training?

Marc
11-30-2007, 01:34 PM
I prefer to get the basic obedience down first: sit,come, stay, down, heal. That being said I'm kind of playing fetch with him now in the living room using duck wings. Trying to get him excited when it comes to feathers and getting him used to the feel and smell of it in his mouth. The actual fetch and retrieve to hand will come later.

Jimbo
11-30-2007, 07:06 PM
At first I thought that wiinter would be a tough time to train a pup what with short daylight hours and crummy weather, but the upside is that fresh killed birds are available until late Jan.
Then you can stock up the freezer for the spring and summer training. Lots of fun ahead.

bruin
12-01-2007, 03:52 PM
I have a question for you Marc (or anyone). I have only trained one retriever so far and he turned out pretty good in my opinion. From the books I read about the topic some recommended using treats as a reward for good work and some recommended praise from the handler as the reward. I personally believe, and have applied, the first of the two as I thought it would create a stronger bond and an unspoiled dog. What is your opinion?

Marc
12-01-2007, 04:00 PM
I use both treats and praise. When I'm teaching my pup a new command (sit for example) I'll use treats as I know he wants it and he'll do just about anything to get it. Then when I know he knows what I want I'll get him to do the same thing a half dozen times a day and then praise him and no treat. If you give him a treat every time then he'll expect it every time.

He's so cute, their food is in the bathroom in my basement. So if I go for a pee or it's feeding time he goes to the door opening and sits hoping for food or a treat. He doesn't get it every time and I try not to make it a habit of giving them a treat at the door or every time I go the washroom I'll have 3 dogs sitting there waiting.

bruin
12-01-2007, 04:12 PM
That might make it tough to get the job done, being watched I mean. Thats a good point giving him a treat to show him what you want the first time, its tough to hold their attention at that age and I guess thats where the treat comes in.

Marc
12-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey Bruin, I picked up a book called the 10 minute retriever. It's based on that a dog's attention span as a pup is only 10 minutes max. Lots of good information in there and they've trained Chessies as well.

Here is a picture of Marshall at 11 weeks. He's doing a sit and stay for me. I've noticed a big difference in him in just a week. I had him doing some duck wing retrieves in the house tonight as it's not fit to go outside. I had a tough time holding him back when I tossed the wing. This guy is one birdy dog.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Marshall_sit_stay_resized.JPG

Marc
12-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Marshall is now 12 weeks. He now knows Sit, Stay, Down, and Come. I just taught him the down today. That one needs a bit of work but I wouldn't expect anything different from a 3 month old dog.

bsa30-06
12-10-2007, 10:17 PM
any new pictures? Training seems to be going well.

bruin
12-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Sounds like progress is good. Is retrieving going to start pretty soon?

Marc
12-11-2007, 08:54 AM
I've got him doing a bit of retrieving in the house with wings while I wait for my fetch dummies to show up. He'll be doing a bit of retrieving to keep his intrest while he's working on his obedience.

FlyingHigh
12-24-2007, 06:11 PM
sounds like it's going good marc. wow, he has beautiful blue eyes.

Marc
11-11-2020, 08:13 AM
Wow I just revisited this thread to see where I should be with the new training with Skadi. I'm surprised at how " Mr know it all" I was back then and apologize for any of you who remember this going back 13 years ago :tongue: I'm still learning and those who said CBR's are stubborn and harder to train, you were not wrong there lol. I think the new pup is a bit more hard headed then Marshall was.

I'm just trying to process roughly where the new pup should be at with her training and fully understanding that every dog is different. I just want to make sure I'm not holding her back because I haven't introduced her to something she should know at this point in the game. It's been almost 13 years since I had a pup and it's like someone has hit the reset button lol.