PDA

View Full Version : tying in a peep sight (noob question)

BANG!
10-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Hi Guys

I'm a noobie stick flinger and have a question about tying in a peep.

I've had a simple recurve for a few months, factory string, plain Jane three pin front sights - and to increase consistency, I thought I'd experiment with a peep.

So I brought one home from Boormans yesterday and then went to the internet to find out the best methods of tying it in. So far, so good.

The peep I got was a hunter type - I think this one: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0027623410698a&type=product&cmCat=perf&rid=0180101070502&xpid=k17401&cm_ven=Performics&cm_cat=Affiliate%2Dclick&cm_pla=Nextag&cm_ite=DDI%20Link&afsrc=1

Well to cut a long story short, I identified the correct placement on the string (wife helped me check this with string after the fact) - tied in the sight - and then excitedly, went out to check it at the target.

Well I couldn't see Jack Sh*t. The peep was oriented on the string so that I couldn't see through it - it completely obliterated my view of the front sights at full draw.

What am I doing wrong? :roll:

Any and all ideas that might help me cure this problem would be greatfully received,

thanks in advance - David

Bow Walker
10-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Is the peep rotating enough....or is it not tilted (angled on the string) enough?

I'm assuming that you placed it on the string where your eye was looking at the pin sight when you were at full draw? I suppose so, or you wouldn't have it blocking your vision when you drew the bow.

Pics would help a huge amount here. Maybe get your wife to take a couple - peep at full draw, your head and peep when you are at full draw, and a wide angle shot showing the full length of the bow and you when you are at full draw.

A bit tough to visualize without the aid of photos.

BANG!
10-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Is the peep rotating enough....or is it not tilted (angled on the string) enough?

I'm assuming that you placed it on the string where your eye was looking at the pin sight when you were at full draw? I suppose so, or you wouldn't have it blocking your vision when you drew the bow.

Pics would help a huge amount here. Maybe get your wife to take a couple - peep at full draw, your head and peep when you are at full draw, and a wide angle shot showing the full length of the bow and you when you are at full draw.

A bit tough to visualize without the aid of photos.

Hi BW - I'll see if I can do this over the next few days (my good lady is working 12's for the next two days, then I'm back for 2 more myself)

I'm afraid that pictures of my posture and positioning at full draw won't be as 'technically refined' as this:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16235

... but I'll give it a try.

You asked "is it angled on the string enough" - and that seems like a good question - the peep has three channels to hold the bow string and they are all running parallel with the hole through the peep sight - which means it doesn't seem to want to be angled at all - it seems to 'want' to sit in the string almost at right angles to what I'd assume would be the correct position. I'll go see if I can attach a picture to show you what I mean.

Your question is making me think - once it's tied in place - do you have to tilt the little sucker round a bit to help open up the line-of-sight channel?

thanks again for the swift response. :grin: You've no idea how much I've learned from the members of this site over the past three years.

Bow Walker
10-27-2007, 08:59 AM
That peep is supposed to sit at right angles to the string when the bow is at rest.

When the bow is at full draw the string forms an angle between the top limb tip and your anchor point. This is the angle that I meant - if it is not "steep" enough the peep won't tilt enough for you to see anything through it.

Nothing the matter with either the peep or the bow/string. It's just that the bow is too long (tip to tip) to form the correct angle to allow you to see through the peep. You said that your bow is a recurve - you do know that it is very hard to get a peep that will work on a recurve don't you? I suppose it can be done, but I've not heard of it.

PM a guy on here called "greybark"....or direct him to this thread. He's a "stick n string" shooter and he should be able to clear things up.

I'd still want to see the pics posted though.:wink:

........"is it angled on the string enough" - and that seems like a good question - the peep has three channels to hold the bow string and they are all running parallel with the hole though the site - which means it doesn't seem to want to be angled at all - it seems to 'want' to sit in the string almost at right angles to what I'd assume would be the correct position. I'll go see if I can attach a picture to show you what I mean.

Your question is making me think - once it's tied in place - do you have to tilt the little sucker round a bit to help open up the line-of-sight channel?

thanks again for the swift response. :grin: You've no idea how much I've learned from the members of this site over the past three years.

BANG!
10-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks again BW - I think you've just confirmed my suspicion - that there was just no way that peep was going to work in my bow (without getting it to sit at an angle where the string would be cutting across the peep at strange angles) That would have been probably unstable and wouldn't have been kind on the string either.

here's a few pics:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6516&cat=500&ppuser=545

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6517&cat=500&ppuser=545

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6518&cat=500&ppuser=545

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6519&cat=500&ppuser=545

also - I'll ping Mr Greybark - and ask for his input too.

cheers - David

Bow Walker
10-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Just from looking at the photos I'd say that peep isn't useable on that bow.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0713.JPG

What's the length from tip to tip when the bow is strung - but not drawn?

sealevel
10-27-2007, 07:44 PM
How long is your bow 60in? you need a peep for a long bow . if you are using a peep for a 33in ata compound you will not be able to see though it because of the angle of the string at full draw. And a recurve there should be no peep rotation at all so tie it in square.

greybark
10-27-2007, 08:05 PM
:idea: Hey Bang , The peep is OK but is designed for a much shorter bow (compound) with the sharper angle on the string when the bow is drawn . Your recurve when drawn the string is closer to vertical than the compound string and isn1t enough to ANGLE the peep to a look thru angle .
:idea:If you are going to use a "Traditional Rear Sight" I suggest that instead of a peep sight which all take light away from your eye you try tying a small dental floss white dot where the center of your peep would be . When sighting (both eyes open or single eye)) you actualy look thru (OK OK super impose) the dot and line up your front site . This method can be used with or without a front sight and know of several top archers using this method .
;-)You can use a preangled peep sight but the string twist variables on a recurve would be a nightmare .
Try the floss thing (my wife in a Dental Hygienist) it will surprise you .
Hope this helps and feel free to call or e-mail . Cheers

greybark
10-27-2007, 08:11 PM
:lol:Hey Sealevel , You sort of got the right angle thing but in reverse :wink: But heck you have been shooting "uphill all your life" and I can understand that LOL LOL .
Hope you had a good hunting season and if planning to go to Rock Ck get a hold of me -- Cheers

BANG!
10-28-2007, 08:50 AM
SeaLevel, GreyBark and BowWalker - many thanks for your helpful suggestions.

I think tying in some dental floss is the perfect solution - and will try it this week for sure.

I found that I can now shoot pretty decent groupings at 20 yards - especially when I'm letting off three at a time at the target, over and over again. But (and it's a big BUT) - when I've been hunting, either hidden in an 'ambush' spot - or walking quietly with the bow, I wanted to ensure a rock-solid confidence with the first shot. That's when I started to think about increasing accuracy AND consistency by adding some sort of rear sight.

The floss idea also appeals to my Scottish sensibilities - since I can now save at least four bucks. Even more if I re-cycle used floss! ;-)

I also have some nice bright pink string in my fly tieing kit - so I can even experiment with colour and see which works best (maybe a combination - one eighth of an inch in bright pink either side of a white spot in centre?

thanks again!

greybark
10-28-2007, 11:35 AM
:wink:Hey Bang . Give er and I`d be carefull of the "pink thing" , It might be OK on your Isl but would be rather obvious up (I was going to say Prince George way) up (Ft St John - no) OK OK up North . :lol:
Cheers

BANG!
10-28-2007, 12:02 PM
:wink: Hey Bang . Give er and I`d be carefull of the "pink thing". :lol:
Cheers

point well taken mate - I'll keep it safe and stick with the plain white. Hiking in the backcountry has enough hazards without adding another to the list. :shock:

Jagermeister
10-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Bang, maybe this link will help.
http://www.pabucks.com/peep_sight.html

sealevel
10-28-2007, 05:40 PM
:lol:Hey Sealevel , You sort of got the right angle thing but in reverse :wink: But heck you have been shooting "uphill all your life" and I can understand that LOL LOL .
Hope you had a good hunting season and if planning to go to Rock Ck get a hold of me -- Cheers Thats why i always undershoot cause i am always shooting over the horizen. I was just testing you gray bark i knew you would post some long winded over analized explanation:lol: my hunting season i am haveing a had time finding a critter to shoot.