PDA

View Full Version : What about wolves ambushing hounds?

Sniper
03-06-2005, 11:32 AM
An old hound dogger my son has done some hunting with wont let his hounds loose in any area that has wolf sign he claims the wolves will ambush and kill the dogs. Anybody have any experiences with wolves attacking your hounds? I really don't know what to make of this or how serious the problem is, any comments welcome. Ken

Thunderstix
03-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Rupert residents have lost many dogs to wolves in the last 5 years. They have taken them right off the leash while they are being walked by their masters.

houndogger
03-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Never had it happen to me but they will hone in on the baying dogs and there won't be much left by the time ya get there. Pretty simple if you are cutting lots of wolf sign I would leave the dogs in the box. No matter how big of a cat track you cut. It is pretty good around yours and my area right now sniper thanks to the ministery trapping alot out of the area. Only cut five wolf tracks this last cat season, one pack only seen their tracks one day.

K-1
03-06-2005, 08:54 PM
An old hound dogger my son has done some hunting with wont let his hounds loose in any area that has wolf sign he claims the wolves will ambush and kill the dogs. Anybody have any experiences with wolves attacking your hounds? I really don't know what to make of this or how serious the problem is, any comments welcome. Ken

Believe him ,,for he is old and wise,and knowes what he is talking about....

big game walker hounds
01-28-2007, 10:02 PM
wolves are the worst thing going for hounds besides bears. i just lost 2 wicked walkers to a pack of young wolves on vancouver island, nanaimo lakes to be exact. a 1 1/2 year old bitch with last springs pups. turns out she was collared by the wild life branch. ya were wolf sign best to stay away, but some times you dont know they are there.

houndogger
01-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Not to sure on what ya mean on the bear comment but my dog tree around 50 a year.8-)

Murder
01-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Not to sure on what ya mean on the bear comment but my dog tree around 50 a year.8-)

Cats or bears? Wow, either way 50 is a lot.