PDA

View Full Version : Mathew's vs Hoyt vs Bowtech

Mr. PG
10-25-2007, 08:06 AM
I used to bow hunt a bit in the 90's and I am wanting to get back into it. One of the reason's I stopped bow hunting in the first place was because the equipment I had was not very reliable and I could not ethical keep on using it. Now I am in a better financial situation and I have bene looking at getting one of the higher end Mathew's, Hoyt or Bowtech bows.

I am thinking about the Mathew's because it was suggested by one of my local dealers but I just haven't heard a lot of things for or against them. I have always been partial to Hoyt and there is certainly alot of people that love them but I don't want to pay a whole lot of extra money just for a name. As for bowtech, this was suggested by yet another local dealer as well as a couple of friends but like Mathew's I haven't heard a lot of things for or against them.

I am 5'11" and 220lbs and I was thinking of getting a bow with about 65-75lb draw. I want a bow for hunting that is above all reliable and relatively fast. I am also kind of clumsy so something that is compact and user friendly would also be great. Can anyone help me out on what bow they think I should get?

Sideofabarn
10-25-2007, 08:39 AM
PG, you'll find proponents for all three. What in the end you decide is obviously what works best for you. I am going out on a limb here and assuming you're actually in PG, and there is a guy on Buckhorn lake road, who has an operation out of his garage. A couple of people have recommended him, but I think you may need to make an appointment. Ask to try them all first if you can, from there make any further decisions. For myself, I shoot an APA (made in Saskatchewan) and love it, although if I was in the market for another bow (read funding shortage for toys) I think I'd go with the bowtech-just because.

pupper
10-25-2007, 08:44 AM
well If you have not shot for a while go for a 60lb draw and crank it down to 50 to start. It is better to be able to shoot comfortably and accurately than uncomfortably and inaccurate with more juice behind the arrow. After a bunch of practise you can always cranker up to 60 if you want, plus that gives you ample killing power for any north american game. Your draw length will be a little longer than average so you will have a good power stroke.

You said you want something compact, a short axle to axle bow and short brace heigth will be less forgiving, so keep that in mind. A 33"+ axle to axle is probably what you are looking for. and a 7 1/2"+ brace height.
you can go bigger for more forgiveness but than you lose compactness.

My vote for bows lies with Bowtech, I have owned a tribute for 1.5 years and I love it. It is very compact, accurate, and reliable. I have had no problems. It is fast as well. It has an axle to axle of 31" so it is very compact. THey dont make the tribute anymore but "the general" is a short axle to axle bow. you might want to look at the "guardian" because of a longer axle to axle or the "82 airborne model"

I also shot the mathews switchback, and the Black Mamba along with the tribute before I decided on it. Make sure you test fire a couple simultanously before purchasing your fav. Look for smoothness,feel, andlack of vibration.

Brambles
10-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Look at APA innovations, High quality Canadian made bows that are very fast and forgiving to shoot.

http://www.apaarchery.com/

bruin
10-25-2007, 03:20 PM
[quote=Sideofabarn;198755]What in the end you decide is obviously what works best for you.

He is absolutely right. I would highly suggest going to a dealer and shooting all three bows (if they will let you) before you make a decision, look for vibration and comfort, pulling ease, letoff, grip comfort etc.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-25-2007, 03:36 PM
yep go see Ted Stern out on Buckhorn lake road. you dont need an appointment ... he is there for the most part during normal business hours ... Might wanna phone first ...T&F Country sports in the phone book ....

Personally I am a Hoyt man .... something small yet speedy and surprisingly easy to shoot is the Hoyt Vulcan ..... Evidently Hoyts got new models again this year ... due to be released rather quickly ....

click here for this years Hoyts ...

I am liking the looks and specs of the Katera

http://www.hoyt.com/compound_bows/

loki
10-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Well although I shoot Bowtech I'm not one to push brand names. Basically whatever fits you is the one you should get. Take a look at how the grip fits in your hand, how the bow feels while carrying it around the store, and if you're really lucky to get a store that allows you to test fire take some shots. Otherwise to get the feeling of the bow you may have to draw, and guide the string back, and in case you don't know NEVER DRY FIRE A BOW. The only problem with testing the draw in a store is you may get some employees that don't allow for someone to draw the bow without a fuss, which is understandable because dry firing a bow = you bought the bow. At any rate testing the draw cycle by drawing and guiding the string back without firing is the best you'll get to feeling the bow cycle in a lot of stores. PS: If you're going to do this, beware of let off and stay fully flexed when guiding the string back or it can kick.

Don't forget here, all bows do the same thing, and that's propel shafts at blazingly fast speeds. Everything else is apples vs oranges, even though I know that everyone on here is about to jump on that comment and support their brand. In my books bows must fit into a few categories: Comfort, quietness, and the pocketbook.

If you're not into archery enough to keep up with it past one season there's no point to buying top of the line. In fact a lot of mid to low level bows are equipped with accessories and technology that would have been top of the line 5 years ago. For example my wife shoots a 2007 Diamond Edge and outshoots our friends with more expensive bows. A lot of the time you are paying extra for brand name. Don't forget it's not only the bow, but the person using it as well.

yep go see Ted Stern out on Buckhorn lake road.Yup, I agree. Just inform him that you're looking around, and not only at Hoyt. Otherwise he'll really push Hoyt and call everything else crap, and that gets old fast. Don't get me wrong, he's a really stand up guy, and a good person to learn from and help with your setup and pointers. Also he is one of the most affordable retailers in PG, and compaired to places like E&I, Northern Troutfitters, and Bobs sports he blows their prices out of the water.

I haven't heard a lot of things for or against them.Well if it's a review you're looking for I like my Commander, and will be sticking with it for years to come. It's a good bow to fit me. The only upgrade I'm looking at is the 2008 Short stop string catcher, but I'm not sure yet if it'll fit my 2007 without much fuss.

sealevel
10-25-2007, 07:28 PM
I and like hoyts they are good shooters and most of all reliable .If i was going to buy a new bow i would look at a APA or a HC iron mace or another hoyt. I think all bows are good shooters... o except those things at cambodian tire.

Bow Walker
10-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Check out the '07 discounted deals.........many dealers are blowing out there inventory to make room for the '08 models.

Have a serious look at the '07 Hoyt Vectrix in camo. VERY quiet, easy to pull, and smokin' fast.

BTW - you might want to consider something in the 60 lb range. It'll max out around 63 or 64 lbs and you can pull it all day long - even in cold weather.

The 'Hummer'
10-26-2007, 06:37 PM
I have a friend that has an archery shop in AB. After numerous suggestions by him that I should take up the sport, I agreed and had him set me up with a decent package. The bow, in addition to related trimmings, was a Darton Maverick I believe.
My friend has been into the sport, for a number of years, as a competition target shooter and a hunter in addition to his business focus. I 'tried' archery, liked it and when I quit smoking, as a gift, I bought a target bow and settled for a Hoyt Ultratec. Then, for 3D and hunting, when I retired I got a Hoyt Cybertec, as a retirement gift.
As sideofabarn mentioned, you'll find proponents for most makes, not unlike opinions of vehicle and firearms brands. I'd suggest going to a good local archery shop and trying out a few different samples. Better yet, go to a local club if there's one close by, talk to the people and try a selection of whats available.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Hummer ...what shop does yer buddy own in AB ?

The 'Hummer'
10-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Hummer ...what shop does yer buddy own in AB ?
He and a partner have
Sherwood Park
Archery Lanes Inc
Their facility is, to me, is like a bowling alley except they shoot bow & arrow.:-) As part of that facility, they have a retail shop, repair and arrow making services etc.

Mr. PG
10-29-2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks for all your help and suggestions, I really appreciate it. These replies confirm what I already knew from buying the right rifle: they all have there pro's and con's and best one is the one that feels best to you. After reading these replies I am now also going to try and take a look at APA, sounds like lots of people have and like them.

Sideofabarn
10-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Where in PG are you? If you want we could meet up and you could take a couple shots with my bow, which is an APA, just to get the feel of of it.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-29-2007, 04:38 PM
He and a partner have
Sherwood Park
Archery Lanes Inc
Their facility is, to me, is like a bowling alley except they shoot bow & arrow.:-) As part of that facility, they have a retail shop, repair and arrow making services etc.

I been there ... Nice place ... great shop

ddean
11-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Just had Ted rig out my Katera :I may be biased but this is a nice outfit.

threedhunter
11-26-2007, 11:55 PM
if you can also try the mathews switchback xt, veeerrrrrryyyyyy smooooooth both drawing and letting down, but your hand size and thr feel are important as well. i shoot now at 60 lbs after years of shooting at 70/88 so i can still do this game at 80 instead of pleying cards at the ofh.just my .02.:):)

Walksalot
11-27-2007, 04:48 PM
I am very pleased with my Hoyt Power Tec. It is 60 lbs. max and a pleasure to shoot.
I used to shoot 75 lbs. but when the muscles are cold and the deer is close the contortions one goes through to pull the bow back makes for a non productive hunt.

BC4Bowhunter
12-01-2007, 03:17 PM
You can't go wrong with Hoyt,Mathews or Bowtech they are all great bows. I have personally shot the Hoyt Katera and Katera XL ,Vectrix, Avenger as well as Mathews DXT,Drenalin Switchback XT, S2 as well as Bowtech General and Guardian. All shot very well. I chose the Switchback XT for it's smoothness over the rest but would shoot any of the others any time.:wink:

dunbartr
12-01-2007, 03:50 PM
I agree as well... all are good bows these days. I was out of archery for awhile too and just picked up a Matthews Switchback. I like it because it is compact and super smooth. Good price too.

Onesock
12-24-2007, 11:45 AM
You will have to upgrade your compound on a regular basis with all the new technology every year. Buy a Chekmate and you will be set for life.

greybark
12-24-2007, 12:04 PM
:smile: One word , "Chek-Mate" Heh , Heh , Heh.

mark4
02-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Switchback xt is smooth, compact and fast, so I bought one. It has a D-loop, pronghorn fall-away rest, and spott-hogg sites. Lovin 'it.

ROEBUCK
02-26-2008, 06:03 PM
mathews switchback is a fantastic bow and so smooth to shoot you wouldnt regret buying one of those i didnt, I dont no of any dealers in canada who sell mathews so you may have to head south!

Cedarstrip
02-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Chevy....Ford....Mopar..... everyone has their favourite that they've had good success with. Get whatever feels good to you and you don't have to 'work' at shooting. It should feel natural. Forget about what the brand is or what prestige it carries.
IMHO

Hoytster
03-02-2008, 04:10 PM
I just got back into archery after a 16 year lay-off!! The new technology today is amazing....Sandy from Quesnel claimed that he could outfit me with a bow that day and have me within the bulls-eye at 30 yards...well...it ended up being 50 yards instead! I was hooked. I believe, like anything else, there are a number of good packages out there. Hoyt, PSE, Bowtech, ...... its up to the person releasing just like the person squeezing the trigger...All name brands are putting out good products nowadays. The other day at the club, my good friend Len was shooting his Bowtech (one that really doesnt appeal to me personally) and he was grouping them tight, not to mention that his Bowtech was significantly quieter than the Vectrix right beside him....I shoot a Hoyt Powertech and love it....However......Im not one to stick to one brand so Ted Stern showed me the new PSE X-Force.....guess what?....bought that one too....cant wait to try it.

Ron.C
03-04-2008, 04:21 PM
I started with a couple PSE's, have had a Mathews for a couple years, and now shoot a bowtech. I'm not loyal to any brand, but have made a promise to myself never to buy a bow again without getting my hands on it first. That happened with my mathews. I bought it blind and although it was the correct draw length and weight, it never felt just right. I have nothing against mathews, I may have bought a Drenalin insted of my Bowtech, but no body had any to try. The next time I go to buy a bow, I'll take a road trip to the mainland and hit a shop with more variety. I shot with a guy from PRIMOS last year and he was shooting the new Bear Truth bow. The funny thing was, he said he would rather be shooting his Hoyt, but he has to promote the gear his company is using. So unless you have a sponsor to pick up the tab for your gear, or you're a staff shooter, why be loyal to any one brand? Keep an open mind, try everything, and buy what fits you and your budget best.

bc sportsman
03-05-2008, 01:06 AM
I love my AR 34. Quiet, smooth, forgiving, light, accurate, 70# pull. I don't believe that they make this model any more but the updated AR models are likely every bit as good if not better.

Bow Walker
03-05-2008, 10:19 AM
I've owned/shot/handled/drooled over quite a few different bows over the years. Almost all the major players' and some of the secondary manufacturers as well. Even a hybrid type bow. Without exception they all had one thing in common - quality of workmanship.

I own an shoot a Diamond, a Martin, a Hoyt, and a PSE. No, I am not married to any one particular brand name. They're all good. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Like Ron C. says - you gotta handle and shoot (if possible) the bow before you buy it. So get out there and do some fondling and drooling guys!

Hoytster
03-10-2008, 04:44 PM
OK....just picked up my PSE X-FORCE TS from Ted Stern the other day.....all I can say is WOW!.....Its nice and smooth on the draw and rather quiet as well. I still feel that todays big names put out some quality gear because they need to keep business going. I truely believe that it has alot to do with who's pulling the string much like who's squeezing the trigger....either way...I love my Hoyt and my PSE...maybe I will try out a Bowtech...

BlackwaterHunter
03-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Cant beat ted! hes a great guy, he does like his hoyts, but he also is a dealer for apa

Bowzone_Mikey
03-30-2011, 10:52 AM
aint nothing like bringing up a 3 year old thread .... ...Normally I would say "Nominated" in this box

Bow Walker
03-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Someone is bored and is seeing how far back they can go, into the archives. :mrgreen:

BlackwaterHunter
03-30-2011, 04:24 PM
well home sick... so decided to waste it in a good way :D

M@B
04-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Ha! I started reading this thread and thought "wow, these guys are mentioning some really old bows here!" then noticed the dates of the posts 2007!! haha!