PDA

View Full Version : 3 day decoy refurbish

B-rad
12-02-2020, 05:40 PM
spent 3 days refurbishing old garbage decoys into new usable https://i.imgur.com/4kF2w5dl.jpg a fun project,,,,,,going to test them out in 2 days chasin some birds

B-rad
12-02-2020, 05:40 PM
https://i.imgur.com/NDDgAHSl.jpg

B-rad
12-02-2020, 05:41 PM
they turned out pretty well,,,should be fun hunt in 2 days

walks with deer
12-02-2020, 06:43 PM
what are you hunting with those?

Imdone
12-02-2020, 07:13 PM
Good for you B-rad.
Making oldies new again.
If I could just make some suggestions.
I would think your hunting puddle ducks, dabblers like Mallards, Pintail, Widgeon. Your present colours don't really represent that.
Actually the dark body are not a match, event of hen pins or mals.
I suggest looking into KRYLON Flat spray paints to try to match what your hunting. Use flat, non glare, they offer several different colors and you could make those a close match to what your hunting.
It takes , time, patience, and money.
Go step by step .
Mask off areas to make for more realism.

Example of that, a Drake Mallard, dark green head, dark brown chest, light grey under body with grey's and blacks for the back area.
You don't need to be exact, but close would help. Use good actual pics to match colors

Just trying to help.

Good luck to you

B-rad
12-02-2020, 08:22 PM
these are actually black duck decoys,,,,,,they are only used as fillers,,,,using only 2-3 together as a group,, set on the inside set of mallard spreads,,,,,i usually will use 2 or 3 groups of dark filler decoys to add huge contrast to the spread,,,,,,they are not meant to be used soley as a spread on itself,,,,,,just there with dark bodies,,,easy visual from very long distances,,,,,,,another decoy set that works awesome late in year to mix with spread is coot decoys,,,,as alot of waterfowlers know,,,it is not uncommon to see 50-150 birds to a flock,,,,usually sitting just on outside of feeding mallards/shovellers and widgeon

Dutch
12-02-2020, 09:26 PM
Ah coots ,boot ducks we used to call them boil them in a pot with a rubber boot ,throw the coot away eat the boot,,,:) nice to see old made new again think I have a couple of those still in one of my rigs good job.

blindman
12-09-2020, 05:52 PM
The bills look like "Spoonies." Hope they work for you. Let us know how it goes.