PDA

View Full Version : Talk about a wet day

Crazy_Farmer
10-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Got up this morning, opened the front door, looked at the rain, looked at my brother(mattchu_19) and asked, Well?? He just laughed and replied, we're already up.

The rain wasnt too bad when we were setting up the decoys. We used most of them for this traffic hunt just over 6 dozen, still have a couple dozen shells for late season. But after waiting and watching tons of high flying ducks go over the rain started, not that much but big big drops, stayed pretty dry in the laydown blinds but everything else got soaked, guns, hands, and faces included. A couple flocks still pretty high up gave us a bit of a look but had different plans in mind.

At around 8:00 all the sudden we heard a close low honk and just over a crest in the field 6 geese came over real low and they cupped and commited right into the kill hole at 10-15 yards. Thought about letting them land but I called the shot prefectly when they were about 3 feet over the decoys. We dropped 3 out of that bunch, shouldve had better shooting but like always the first flock you get all excited. We waited another hour and nothing moved off the roost so I went and got the truck and trailer.

Wouldn't you know it as soon as I pull into the dekes a group of 7 come in the same way as the first flock. They didnt even flare with the huge white truck and trailer and came right over me at 20 yards, my gun in the blind with no shells and my brother 70 yards away packing up. Owell, save em for later I guess. We just dropped off all the fullbodies into the shop to let them dry. My birthdays tomorrow and I couldnt be happier to just be out them and get some more.

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/oct%2021.jpg

Dano
10-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Nice birds, we had a couple come in when I was halfway to the boat at the end of the morning too. My gun was cased in the blind and my buddy Tom quickly loaded one shell and fired at one of the mallards after it was already 40 yds past us. He hit it solidly and that shot put a good end to a good morning in the marsh.
Strangely, the wind was right but we couldn't get too many to decoy right in, about 10:00 the wind switched and was in our faces. That's when we had good decoying although it was over the land! One thing we did that also improved how the birds came in was we spruced up the blind with fresh grass. We had a couple flights head right in only to flare just out of range, they came right in afterwards and it's something we'll have to keep on top of in the future....
We ended up with 2 pintail ,1 gadwal, 1 wigeon, and 8 mallards. I didn't shoot well today but Tom made a couple excellent shoots. We'll be out wednesday.
Dan

Buck
10-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Hi Dano i was at the hairpin on the river training my pup today All i could hear coming out of the marsh was gunfire steady gunfire must have been a good day for some in there.

WOLVERINE-RIDER
10-21-2007, 09:49 PM
happy b-day Adam!!!! (cousin Bob.) Nice birds. Good thing your one of the tuff valley farmers. I probably would have went back to bed.;-)

JoshLedoux
10-21-2007, 09:54 PM
got four snowies thursday night and 3 tonight goin out tomorrow to clean up again.