PDA

View Full Version : Friday wasn't good, wasn't great either, it was FANTASTIC!

Ian F.
10-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Took Friday off work, and actually manage to hunt between downpours and I was rewarded big time! One of my goals for the season was met, a limit of drake pintails!

http://www.partridgecreek.ca/Partridge%20Creek/Gunnin%20pics_files/mewfour.jpg

An all boys shoot today,

http://www.partridgecreek.ca/Partridge%20Creek/Gunnin%20pics_files/three.jpg

http://www.partridgecreek.ca/Partridge%20Creek/Gunnin%20pics_files/logfour.jpg

Saturday was a wet fiasco for Dave, Harry and Me, maybe this afternoon things will improve...

Ian

Bow Walker
10-21-2007, 08:29 AM
In my estimation the Pintail makes the best eating. Then come the Mallards and the little Teal. All at the top of the taste chart. Happy eating.

mmm.....rare duck breast w/ a port wine reduction.....

Crazy_Farmer
10-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Very nice bull pintails especially the nice wigeon, all the ones we've shot so far barely have any colour at all, but they love to land with the full coloured wigeon decoys.

Marc
10-21-2007, 10:44 AM
I think that the wigeon is probably the best eating diver there is. Love the colors.

Marc.

4ptbuck
10-21-2007, 12:05 PM
widgeon, diver?.... I don't think so....

Good job Ian....

Marc
10-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Oh maybe not. I always thought they were divers because most times I've seen them the were on the salt chuck. I thoughtthey dove for grass on the bottom but after doing some reading I guess that's not the case. Still an awesome eating duck.

Crazy_Farmer
10-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Late season out by us, we always seem to get all the wigeon bunched up into one group, around 200 of them all fly and land together. Makes quite the sight, you think in the field the grounds moving from far away but the closer you get all you can see is brown and green heads.

Dano
10-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Nice pics Ian. There's a lot of Pintail around this year and I bet you get a really nice one suitable for mounting this year.
That widgeon you have is in late season plummage too, I had one come in low and his white head stood out clearly among the 3 birds. I thought it was early for full colors but I guess there's more around than I thought.
The marsh is really flooded, I'm thinking the drain is plugged or the beavers have built a superdam again... Looks like you have a good spot anyways!
Dan

Tanya
10-22-2007, 05:02 AM
Well done, wish we could've got out Friday the weather was perfect. Sat and Sun were both slow over here. Got some but slow.

newhunterette
10-22-2007, 07:10 AM
wow - look at all those ducks sleeping :)

mmmm roast duck

congrats - good on ya - :)

dave
10-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Ian, I prefer the term adventure instead of fiasco. Any hunt where I don't end up swimming is a good one.

Ian F.
10-22-2007, 09:33 AM
O.K, adventure it is..

Just gladd Matty wasn't there, he would have tormented us for sure!

On the question widgeon..

They are classified a puddle duck, but behaviourally act more like a diver at times. In fact one of their nicknames is "Robber" or "robber duck" which is for their habit of stealing food from divers (can's, redheads etc) as soon as they surface. They are fun to shoot, good to eat, and pretty ta boot! Also, there's always a chance at a Euro or Storm widgeon!

Hopefully we dry up a little this week and the adventures can begin again next weekend,

Ian

zaconb
10-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Ian
Congratulations, and the season is only a few weeks young!