PDA

View Full Version : Dog pack

Marc
10-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Just bought one of these today so that I can take my dog on some pack hunts. If she wants to come she can pack her own bed and food in.:biggrin:

Anyone ever had any experience with this pack or style?

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/greatoutdoorsdepot_1973_34112101

ruger#1
10-20-2007, 03:13 PM
where did you buy it. i could put one of those on my gsp,s to pack the birds.

Marc
10-20-2007, 03:26 PM
I picked it up on here.

http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/outdoor-products-dog-pack.html

loki
10-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Yup, and I'm never going back. My dog can pack her own stuff, and some of mine too :)

The one piece of advice I can give on the matter is to get them wearing it around the yard for a few days before wearing it in the field. This way the dog gets over trying to tare off the new thing on its back. After the dog is used to it however, absolutely great investment.

ruger#1
10-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Put it in my favorites thanks.

GoatGuy
10-20-2007, 03:38 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/523330.JPG

The dog packin' out beer belly this spring. These packs aren't made to last forever but they work for taking some extra gear (water) and the dog food. I don't put anything too valuable in there as the last pack she had dissapeared after she heading into the scrub after some ptarmigan when we were glassing. She turned up 20 minutes later without a pack only the 'frame' - finding the pack was up there beside impossible in that stuff.

I think Kifaru makes a really good dog pack.

wildman 22
10-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Marc,my brother used one for his dog on a week pack in trip.His dog was a little pup at the time so the harness was a little large for him.The dog packed in his own food and treats.The only downfall was that on one occassion(on the hike) while the little guy was doing his own exploring a long branch went between his body and the harness making it impossible for him to move.His dog would run back and forth on the trail and when that stopped happening we knew something was wrong .We heard him whining and thats how we found him.On the way down he packed a little bit of meat down for us.

Marc
10-20-2007, 04:02 PM
I doubt she will ever come off the Island with me but I figured if I'm going to be out playing around doing a bit of fishing and maybe a bit of grouse hunting that it wouldn't hurt to have her around. She loves the outdoors and going for walks. She listens pretty good and doesn't wander off very much. I'd only need to pack on her to get to and from spike camp to the truck so I"m not humping extra weight that I'd usually not have to carry if I was by myself.

Everett
10-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Our dog has worn a pack ever since he was big enough for it to fit. He can just carry a dozen can a beer in it.

MooseNuts
10-20-2007, 05:21 PM
I've been using the Kelty for the better part of 5 years now. I usually have the dog take their food and carry a cannister of gas on the other side. I have to waterproof what ever they carry because if there is water around they are going to be in it.

Marc
10-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Yah I plan on doing up meal size portions for her and sealing them up with the food saver so they're water proof and pretty much scent free so she doesn't get into them or other animals wont smell it.

springpin
10-20-2007, 07:01 PM
I've been lookin for one of them for my dog..but living in Golden gives no real chance of finding one...My buddys dog has one, and It works great. Gotta get to a city to find one....

Chad

Marc
10-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Hey Chad there is a link in this thread were you can buy them online. With the canadian dollar where it is now is the time to buy something like this.

houndogger
10-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Horshur has some pack dogs:cool:

Jimbo
10-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Never used one but I would think it's important to balance the load carefully to avoid the pack shifting.
The way my dog moves, I'd try putting a pint of cream in the pack. It would be butter by the time we got to camp !!

Marc
10-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Never used one but I would think it's important to balance the load carefully to avoid the pack shifting.
The way my dog moves, I'd try putting a pint of cream in the pack. It would be butter by the time we got to camp !!

Yah she would only be bringing in her dog food and bedding if I could manage to squeeze something for her to sleep on in one pouch. It's not going to be to the point where it's going to weigh her down to the point of giving her a sore back

Sharkey
10-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Too funny - my Lab would just run in circles trying to follow the scent of the food in the pack... He's smart, but not all that smart.
~D

dana
10-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Horshur got a dog pack built by Wilderness Wanderer out of Kamloops. His one pup has pack both deer and goat.

Marc
10-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Yah a friend of mine was telling me of a show he was watching on wild TV that used goats to pack out his elk. He had 4 or 5 goats with packs on them and I guess he said they listened and followed him better then dogs.

I figured with the pack the dog could still enjoy the woods with me and save "me" from dragging her food and bedding in. That's not to say that on the way out she can't pack some chickens or what ever extra we pick up along the way.

bighornbob
10-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Read an article about a guy who used his dog for packing all the time. I think he said he went to about 1/3 their body weight. The dog packed half his gear. He said do not put anything that you need to survive on the dogs back. he once put his sleeping bag on the dog and dog laid down in a puddle to cool off and his bag got soaked.

He always wondered how much his dog could carry but he said even when he thought the dog was completely loaded down, the mutt would still run off the trail chasing every ground squirrel it saw over a week long hunt. So he figured it was not that heavy for the dog.

BHB

horshur
10-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Read an article about a guy who used his dog for packing all the time. I think he said he went to about 1/3 their body weight. The dog packed half his gear. He said do not put anything that you need to survive on the dogs back. he once put his sleeping bag on the dog and dog laid down in a puddle to cool off and his bag got soaked.

He always wondered how much his dog could carry but he said even when he thought the dog was completely loaded down, the mutt would still run off the trail chasing every ground squirrel it saw over a week long hunt. So he figured it was not that heavy for the dog.

BHB

If the dog is dinking around......load it up some more.:wink: