PDA

View Full Version : Dog Boots ???

Mtn Wonderer
10-19-2007, 05:57 PM
I've have 80Lb GSP and had him up chukar hunting near Spences Bridge we had a great time but I made the days very short because he was picking up so mouch prickly pear cactus in his feet and high on the backs of his legs. Get him on the birds and he's having a great time.
I have heard good and bad about boots. I would be interested in opinions from other hunters and dog handlers.

THX

Spokerider
10-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Well 50 views and no reply........

I don't know what to suggest. I know there are some places to buy dog booties, like SIR and some gun dog supply internet outlets. Try googling for hunting dog supplies.

A chest protector can be bought, but it won't help with cactus spikes high up the legs....

loki
10-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Well I have limited experience with boots, use them for really cold walks to prevent her pads from freezing.

It seems to me that if you're looking at boots to prevent cactus thorns then you may want to rethink, or at least get something super heavy duty. If it can make it through the boots then you have the problem of getting them out of the pads and the boots. Fun times...

Buck
10-26-2007, 06:48 PM
You can make boots out of bicycle innertube if you can get ahold of the latest copy of Gundog magazine they have a pictorial and full article on how to make them.I think you can google and get good info as well.They work very well and are cheap to make.

zaconb
10-27-2007, 09:14 PM
You can make boots out of bicycle innertube if you can get ahold of the latest copy of Gundog magazine they have a pictorial and full article on how to make them.I think you can google and get good info as well.They work very well and are cheap to make.
Buck is right and on a recent hunt in Kamloops I broke out the Cabelas Boots for both my dogs and they worked great!
I'll be buying another pair to have just in case!
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0005402615911a&navCount=2&podId=0005402&parentId=cat20866&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20712-cat20866&catalogCode=XH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20866&hasJS=true

sakohunter
11-10-2007, 10:02 PM
The best boots that you can use for that area is the Lewis dog boot. These boots are a bit of wook to put on but it is well worth it if your dog comes up with sore paws. These boots are only good in when there is dirt under foot, snow turn them into cazy carpets. I hunt that area quite a lot and cactus are part of the game. A mens hair comb helps get the cactus out of the dogs feet and foreceps work for the dogs mouths at the end of the day. Hope this helps