PDA

View Full Version : Aging Deer Heart and/or Liver.

CooperSscat
10-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Does anybody recommend aging a deer's heart or liver in a refrigerator prior to bucking them up and placing them in the freezer? If so how many days? Thanks.

Jeremy

trigger
10-15-2007, 05:38 PM
i have always found that when eating organs they are always best fresh. there is no need to age them, although it wont hurt them at all. I would eat them as soon as you can. enjoy

wolverine
10-15-2007, 05:52 PM
The coyotes I leave em for seem to prefer them fresh too. Just kidding.... kinda..... I know that if you leave the liver it turns darker. Don't know if that is a good thing or not. The heart being muscle tissue could age for a while without damaging it as long as temp doesn't get above 41 degrees. I don't take them so I'm only half kidding about the coyotes liking them fresh. Couple of guys I know always take the liver and eat it in camp that night.

Cheers.:wink:

MichelD
10-24-2007, 01:22 PM
I think liver is best fresh, but heart being muscle can keep longer.

I have brought home deer and elk liver that has been kept in a cooler with ice for several days as my wife loves it and it has been fine. I even froze some very fresh deer liver last year.

NEEHAMA
10-24-2007, 01:52 PM
trigger has stated the correct.

Gateholio
10-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Eat organs fresh or freeze ASAP.

Professional opinion.

:wink:

TUG
10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
fresh heart aaaa stuff the heart with turkey stuffing and enjoy

CooperSscat
10-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Ok well I bucked up the liver and placed it in the freezer the next day. My last deer I got I did the same and the liver tasted great.

The heart went into the freezer 3.5 days after the harvest. I figured I'd give it a few days and try it as a roast. I like the stuffing idea TUG!

I'm off for my Bull Moose LEH Nov 1 so I hope to sample some moose innards too!

Jeremy

happygilmore
10-27-2007, 06:44 AM
My mother used to soak the liver in milk overnight before cooking it- she said to remove ant harsh taste- must work I'd always eat it.

Mulies
10-27-2007, 07:41 AM
One thing you might want to try. The liver has a kind of casing around it, if you make a small slice in this and work you fingers under it, it well peal off. Makes the liver quite a bit tenderer.
And don't forget the onions and steak spice..

Sikanni Stalker
12-02-2007, 07:20 PM
I eat the heart right away. Probably the best roast on the animal. The liver I have eaten it right away in camp too, but usually would soak it in water for a day. Somthing an oldtimer told me once and have always done it.

Sikanni Stalker
12-02-2007, 07:20 PM
I like what you said mulies, I will definitely try that.

.308win
12-02-2007, 07:44 PM
I usually have a peice of fresh liver for dinner the day I shoot the game, Heart goes in the freezer, but its the first to get cooked!

Perry

Allen50
12-02-2007, 10:19 PM
try this, do you make turky stuffing, well make it and stuff the heart and bake it, then slice it through the stuffing and enjoy, its sooooo good, liver, soke it in butter milk, toss it in flower, and into the frypan with onions, and cook till done, sooooo good, and if you wish to keep till later date, then bag and toss into frezer right away, fresh like,, will keep good when frozen when fresh,,, sounds tast to me...

Gateholio
12-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Liver has a membrane around it, it can be sliced and then peeled off with your fingers. it's good to soak heart and kidneys overnight in some salt water, to leech out blood and..other stuff.:tongue: