PDA

View Full Version : early spring bear hunt

mainland hunter
02-25-2005, 05:22 PM
I've only hunted bear in early june, is april first a little too early in the pemberton Lilloet lk area. If so where's good. Does time of year make a difference in the taste of the meat

willyqbc
02-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Can't speak for the pemberton area, but April first is definately way too early here in the Cariboo. As far as different times of year making a difference in taste....you bet it does. Its directly related to diet of course, a grass fed bear in the spring will taste different than a berry fed bear in the fall. This can also be a function of location....i.e. a berry bear in the interior vs a salmon bear on the coast! Another thing you may want to consider with that April first date is that a bear just out of the den can have a funky taste. they need time to drop their "plug" and get cycling some food and water through to clean out the system from hibernation!

Hope this helps
Chris

oldtimer
02-25-2005, 08:43 PM
May long weekend around Quesnel is usually pretty good. They are out in the open areas looking for the new clover and grass. Mike

Steeleco
02-25-2005, 10:52 PM
I can't say for sure but this year with the goofy weather we've been having in the south coast I'd bet the bears may be out much sooner and already fattening up by April 1st. That may affect their coats but the meat should be good. At least once a week there's a new story about a problem bear on the tube or in the paper's. The best part is there' only four week to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freshtracks
02-26-2005, 12:49 AM
mainland hunter,

yes April 1st would be to early for Pemberton area....localy around chillwack or hope might be worth a look if the nice weather holds through March...but any change for the worse and you're looking back to late April, start of May.

mainland hunter
02-26-2005, 02:19 AM
thanks, appreciate the response. maybe I'll try harrison or chilliwack to get my fix.

Steeleco
02-26-2005, 10:25 AM
Any thoughts on the top of the Indian arm, a few years back in August on a flyfishing trip for pinks there were blackies all over the road on the way in. Always planned to get in there but!!! where does the time go???? :oops:

Gateholio
02-26-2005, 01:24 PM
It's nice and sunny here during the day,but it chills right off at night still...

I'd say there may be a few bears out by April 1st this year, but later on is still gonna be better...

I'll post when I start seeing bears..:)

BCHunter
02-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Gatehouse is that an invite....lol. I can scoop my hat then...lol