PDA

View Full Version : KitchenAid meat grinder attachment and sausage making

Jager
10-14-2007, 10:20 AM
I was just wondering if anyone can give me advise on getting sausage mix to feed through a meat grinder w/ sausage funnel on my KitchenAid? I have no problem grinding meat, but when I try to run the mix back through the machine with the funnel attachment (to make cased sausages) it is PAINFULLY slow and seems to require way more elbow grease to get anything to come out the funnel.

Is my mix too dry?, wet?, warm????? Too much silver skin?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Jager
10-14-2007, 11:09 AM
I thought of that but I believe that I need to keep the plate in to prevent the auger from popping out

Brambles
10-14-2007, 01:02 PM
You need a sausage plate, it replaces your grinding plate but has much much larger holes in it. Nothing wrong with your mixture. find out which size head you have and buy a sausage plate to fit it.

3kills
10-14-2007, 07:34 PM
ya try gettin a course plate for it...ur mixture might be a lil two dry as well and it should be nice and cold....

cdub
10-15-2007, 05:56 PM
When I used to use that method I used the coarsest grinder plate and made sure it wasnt too dry. After I bought a trespade stuffer from Stuffers i swore I would never use a grider to pack sausage again. No mushing of meat ant the sausage flies out the stuffer as fast as you can feed the casings.

mwj
10-15-2007, 07:10 PM
I found that when i ground the meat first, it was too mushy to go a second time, so i cut the meat in small chunks, about 1 inch square, and the fat in small chunks as well if you are adding it, seasoned it mixed it up good then fed it in that way. Just grinding it once straight into the tube.
worked better for us.

Wildfoot
10-16-2007, 01:27 PM
I found that when i ground the meat first, it was too mushy to go a second time, so i cut the meat in small chunks, about 1 inch square, and the fat in small chunks as well if you are adding it, seasoned it mixed it up good then fed it in that way. Just grinding it once straight into the tube.
worked better for us.

thats what i did last year. Also the diameter of sausage casing limited how fast I could stuff sausages. When using a large casing for smokie sized sausages it goes as fast as i can keep casings on the tube. With breakfast size sausage casings it goes a lot slower