PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to get into waterfowl hunting

CanAm500
10-10-2007, 06:03 PM
How do I get into it? What does goose taste like? What shot would one use (steele of course)?

Also whats the federal licence cost?

I dont have a dog to retrieve.....

todbartell
10-10-2007, 07:14 PM
$18 or so for your bird stamp

12 gauge is best, with a 1550 fps load of #2 or BB or BBB for geese. 3.5" is ideal, 3" ok, 2.75" is ok for close range decoy shots (20 yards)

goose taste varies from bird to bird...thats all I will say! :P

hunting over fields can be very productive, you will want some decoys, at least a half dozen to a dozen

Murder
10-10-2007, 07:15 PM
$18 or so for your bird stamp

12 gauge is best, with a 1550 fps load of #2 or BB or BBB for geese. 3.5" is ideal, 3" ok, 2.75" is ok for close range decoy shots (20 yards)

goose taste varies from bird to bird

Wow Bartell. Is there anything you don't know!!!?

todbartell
10-10-2007, 07:31 PM
I dont know how to cook goose in a way that makes me want to eat it often :lol:

Crazy_Farmer
10-10-2007, 07:51 PM
You just need to find some good recipes. Our main way is to turn it into sausage but I also slow cook the breasts for about 10 hours in a crock pot with apple cider and other ingredients, Then drain the fluids and pull the meat apart, Have pulled goose sandwiches for a week and it tastes just like beef. Also we deep fry our fair share of ducks/geese, either put it on a sandwich with hot sauce or dip it in your favorite sauce....thats some damn good eating.

WoodOx
10-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Arent the birds, more often than not, tasting like fish. I live in kelowna. Any fowlers on here that know spots around Kelowna that its decent?

Dirty
10-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I like marinated goose breast on the barbeque. We turn a majority of our duck/goose into pepperoni and italian sausage. Waterfowl in general is an acquired taster. It is 18.02 I believe for a migratory game bird stamp. Get the stamp at your local post office. A dog is not necessary, a younger brother works well for a bird dog. For ducks I use #2 or #3 shot. For geese I use BB shot. #2 shot will also work for geese. You definitely need a call (duck and goose) and some decoys. I like the primos goose flute and primos yo' sista duck call. I also have a scotch call for ducks too.

MooseNuts
10-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Don't forget about good rain gear preferably camo. A small boat or canoe may be of some use too since you don't have a dog. If it is possible I would try and get out with somebody to give it a try before you invest too much. I'd take you out for a day but Prince Rupert is a long way to go for a day hunt.

todbartell
10-10-2007, 08:58 PM
also, a camo shotgun is great IMO. Nothing will scare birds away quicker than a glossy walnut stocked, richly blued steel barrel of a 870 Wingmaster etc. Beautiful guns, but to me, a waterfowl gun is a tool

Tanya
10-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Ya, we generally use BB for geese. Cooking them right can produce so amazing meals. We either breast and leg the geese and freeze separately or pluck and clean the whole bird.

The breasts we will brine briefly or not depending on time and then smoke for an hour. Then score the skin, sear both sides in a cast iron fry pan, finish in a 375 oven for approx. 25 minutes. Remove to cutting board, cover with tin foil and let stand. Take the drippings, add to a pan with a couple tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, a splash of wine, salt to taste. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Slice the breast to 1/4" slices, place on top of salad greens or rice. Drizzle with the drippings mixture. Awful gosh darn tasty! Same reciipe can be used for duck breast, cook in oven for 12- 15 minutes, less for teal.

The legs we cook long, slow and wet in the crock pot or other vessel in the oven or on the stove top. Popular additives are tomatoes, and/or curry concoctions. As long as they are cooked with an acid of some sort, like tomato, or wine they we be tender.

The whole goose we brine (google brining goose or turkey), smoke for an hour and then cook for 45 minutes in a 375-400 oven. If you use soya sauce in the brine it will produce a beautiful brown bird.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/CopyofJan1607003.jpg

4ptbuck
10-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Tanya, is that a goose or a duck in the pic? It looks a little too small or a little too big. BUT it looks a lot too tasty,... mmmm....

shoot to kill
10-11-2007, 10:35 AM
a younger brother works well for a bird dog.

HA.HA. very funny wise guy. just remember who makes you tail all his steelhead because you cant hook them. and atleast i can hit the broadside of a barn with my 300 and not whine like a girl about the recoil.

Tanya
10-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Tanya, is that a goose or a duck in the pic? It looks a little too small or a little too big. BUT it looks a lot too tasty,... mmmm....

That is a goose, one of the smaller ones. No guarantee of course, but more often the smaller are the more tender. Yes, it was very tasty. :D That was one that we brined, and then smoked.

BCrams
10-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Did really well with 2 3/4" shells of #2 steel shot at 1275 fps.

Its a slow load I know, but we downed birds every bunch that came in including doubles.

We also had those shiny fancy 870 wingmasters!