PDA

View Full Version : My First Decoy Paint Job

DoubleDeuce
01-14-2020, 12:08 AM
Its my first season duck hunting and I recently got a really good deal on some hand me down decoys as a friend of mine is upgrading for next season.There was one mallard drake in the bunch who was in a bit rougher shape.So I thought with nothing to lose I’d try and repaint it.
I have read that having a couple Black Ducks in your spread can be useful and help lure in birds,it also seemed like one of the more basic colour schemes to try and start with which made me a little more comfortable to be honest.
So I dug around the house for some old acrylic paints and brushes and got to work....
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7727&stc=1http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7728&stc=1http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7729&stc=1
All the painting I did was by brush and with only 5 different actual paint colours (all other variations are just by mixing, for example I didn’t have blue paint so I used a mix of food colouring and white paint....)
I still have to fill the holes where I cut off the Drakes tail curls (didn’t make much sense to leave them on a hen) and then I’ll give it a matte clear coat and add it to my spread of decoys.

I am sure there are many more talented and qualified guys on here that do this sort of thing to a much higher level,but I am honestly pretty happy for my first attempt using only stuff I had kicking around the house,as this was kind of an experiment,if I was gunna do it again I would go out and pick up a few proper colours and paints and make my life a little easier.

Just figured I’d drop it here and see if I am on the right track with this or if beauty is just in the eye of the beholder.

Be gentle guys,but let me know what ya think
Greg

webley
01-14-2020, 05:52 AM
They look Wonderfull, Well done. Steve!

338win mag
01-14-2020, 06:16 AM
That looks great! Looks like a good way to spend cold winter evenings.

mcmullmar
01-14-2020, 06:34 AM
Looks great, well done!

Ride Red
01-14-2020, 06:51 AM
Great job DD.

fearnodeer
01-14-2020, 06:53 AM
Dang were do we send ours for such a nice paint job, well done.

pnbrock
01-14-2020, 08:27 AM
Looks real good. In the future I wouldn’t bother cutting off curls there not that smart. Also if they are close enough to see curls you should have taken the shot.

DoubleDeuce
01-14-2020, 08:40 AM
Looks real good. In the future I wouldn’t bother cutting off curls there not that smart. Also if they are close enough to see curls you should have taken the shot.

Yeah that had kinda crossed my mind as I stared at the hole after I cut them off,Definitely a step I would skip next time.

DoubleDeuce
01-14-2020, 08:54 AM
Thanks all around guys,I will be working on touching up all my decoys this off season,nothing to this extent but just fixing chipped paint.

It was a really relaxing way to spend A couple hours of a snowy day.

Anyone have tips on a clear coat to use?I have an old can of Painters Choice Matte Coat unless someone has a strong recommendation probably just gunna use that,just gotta wait for the garage to be warm enough to do some spraying.

Rackmastr
01-14-2020, 08:55 AM
They look great!!

Ron.C
01-14-2020, 09:08 AM
They look real good. I have some pintail decoys in need of some work and may follow your lead.

Whatever coatings you use, make sure you dont introduce anything that will glare when wet.

DoubleDeuce
01-14-2020, 09:14 AM
I used this site for reference pictures https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Black_Duck/id

Also seems to have a lot of great duck info in general in all species.Worth a look.

Laurp99
01-14-2020, 09:17 AM
I got into Duck hunting this year and have recently picked up a bunch of new Decoys.

I've seen where spraying a couple of coats of flat clear enamel paint can help the Decoys looking brand new, year after year.

Great job on painting the duck!

Rieber
01-14-2020, 10:20 AM
Fantastic - I didn't even realize this was a "thing to do". Hey, super job on those, I'm very impressed.

DoubleDeuce
01-14-2020, 10:54 AM
Fantastic - I didn't even realize this was a "thing to do". Hey, super job on those, I'm very impressed.

I don’t know if it’s a super common “thing to do” but it was probably easier than most guys would assume,and seems to be worth the effort,I mean time will tell how the paint and clear coat hold up but it shouldn’t be any more delicate than factory paint I’d guess.

silveragent
01-14-2020, 12:41 PM
Great job!

DoubleDeuce
01-14-2020, 08:09 PM
Thanks again guys,I’ll have to post up some before and after pics of the touch ups I’ll do on the other decoys,it’ll be a little less interesting but hopefully a good example of what a little paint refreshing can do.

And Hey,if anybody has got any old decoys kicking around you wanna get rid of that are past their prime I’d love to take them off your hands and try experimenting with some other paint schemes.My PMs are always open I am sure we could work something out.

Arctic Lake
01-14-2020, 08:21 PM
Way to go Mr.Vincent VanGogh ! Nice job !
Arctic Lake

DoubleDeuce
01-14-2020, 09:26 PM
Way to go Mr.Vincent VanGogh ! Nice job !
Arctic Lake

“Me.Vincent VanGogh” love it,now just to get some business cards made and lop an ear off! Haha

lorneparker1
01-15-2020, 12:12 PM
Look good!

No black ducks on the west coast though

Foxton Gundogs
01-15-2020, 01:30 PM
Actually I personally know of 2 Black Mallards taken in the Ladner Marsh but that was in the early 60s but I agree with you Lorne

DoubleDeuce
04-30-2020, 02:10 PM
In regards to Black Ducks on the west coast,Fair point.Honestly went with the Black Duck scheme just because it seemed the easiest and gave me room to experiment with some techniques for laying in the colour.Figure I can always re spray it blank for another species or find it a home on a shelf as display.

Greg

srupp
05-01-2020, 06:05 PM
Hmmm very very impressive..extremely..well done.
Cheers
srupp

DoubleDeuce
06-13-2020, 09:20 AM
Hmmm very very impressive..extremely..well done.
Cheers
srupp

Thankyou very much.