PDA

View Full Version : Returning from my first hunting trip

brian
10-05-2007, 01:38 PM
And I'm on a bit of a hunting high. I absolutely loved it. It was a profoundly spiritual experience, even though I didn't fire a shot. We hiked up mountain sides and into lush little valleys. When I watched a circling Raven from the top of a rocky ridge, I suddenly understood completely why the old Native Americans revered the bird.

While stalking a power line where we had seen deer activity, my hunting partner motioned to a thicket of trees in front of me. I stalked around a tree and almost right into a deer. Well not into it, but at the moment everything seemed bigger and closer than it really was. It saw me as I saw it. We froze together. Immediately my heart rate jumped up and my legs went to jelly. For what seemed like hours we stood there watching each other. But through the trees I couldn't make out whether it was antlered or not. It huffed and stomped. So I slowly raised my rifle. Now flipping off my safety is something I should be able to do blind folded without a thought, but yet I had to fumble with the thing for what seemed like minutes. I glassed it, and through my scope it was clear that this was a whitetail doe. So I flipped my safety back on and the doe that was holding so nicely for me decided I wasn't worth the effort, turned tail and arrogantly walked away. Even though it wasn't a buck, the experience left me buzzing for the rest of the night.

The whole trip was truly an amazing experience. I'm hooked. The only bad thing is now I have to wait an entire year to do it again. Although first thing I did when I got home was to get onto google maps and research potential areas to scout out for next year.

Flinch
10-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Glad to hear you are hooked. And yes, as corny as it sounds, it really is a spiritual experience, I think that is why most of us stick to it. If you are out just for the rush of getting something, that will wear of after a few years, but there is something deeper that keeps us involved in hunting. Gawd, I think I am going to cry or something.

kishman
10-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Glad to hear your having a good time out hunting. I've only been at it for a couple years now myself but I can tell you that "jelly in the legs" feeling hasn't gone away for me yet. I thinks it's what's referred to as Buck fever8-).