PDA

View Full Version : Bloodhounds?

76Chevy
10-04-2007, 02:22 AM
anyone know of some websites for Breeders in BC??
I looked and cant seem to find any.

Ive always loved Bloodhounds and am looking at picking up a pair of them. but they seem to be a fairly rare breed in Canada. im looking to find out about cost and what not, and how the whole thing works as far as getting one.

anyone tried hunting with bloodhounds? ive heard they make great hunting dogs and ive also heard that they are terrible hunting dogs so I dunno.

thanks
76Chevy

diggerpax
10-04-2007, 03:11 AM
I'm not sure if a bloodhound is the best option for a hunting dog. They are the best tracking dog without a doubt- hence why they are used to track peopls so much. As far as hunting, there are more motivated dogs such as walkers, reds, and black and tans. I've seen walkers chew the bark off trees in a frenzy. Hounds are extremely loud, stubborn, and difficult to train dogs. You can't exactly take them out for a stroll in the woods without a leash or a long distance shock collar or they may be gone for days. If you just want to track wounded game, believe it or not Jack russel terriers are great- they are used all the time in Africa. My advice is go with someone that runs dogs- they train all year and most are willing to take people out. Big hounds make don't make great house pets. These are jut my opinions, but I am a 4th year veterinary student, and have spent time with hounds. If you have any more questions please ask- I could even get you in touch with people that run lions and coons, but not in BC.

Fisher-Dude
10-04-2007, 08:42 AM
I second what Digger says. My friend has bluetick/bloodhound crosses, and they are horrible pets. They don't listen, bay at everything that moves, rip you to shreds as they try to climb you (instinct), and can't be let off leash...nor do they heel, sit, stay, or come when they are called. They are purpose built dogs that are best kept by people who use them for tracking only. The vision of Jed Clampett's hound dog sleeping on the front porch is never one that I have seen in "real life".

Dogs with more smarts and better temperaments make much better companions and family pets, IMO.

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I would look at an Airedale terrier if I was you,great hunting dog,friendly intelligent playful,and not too big if you want a house dog.:p

76Chevy
10-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Well if all goes as planned Im gonna be moving out to a 5acre piece of property out in some bush country so having big hounds is not gonna be a problem.

and Im just about deadset on getting a Bloodhound. Why? because i find them facinating. I may even be interested in getting involved in the search and rescue team with him. Hunting was kind of an after thought. although I figured they might make half decent hunting dogs as well with some good training. apparently those coon hounds and what not your talking about are all bred from and decendents of the bloodhound so I would think the Bloodhound should have alot of those same genes and instincts the more Common hounds have.

or am completly wrong here? ive seen a bloodhound tree like houshold cats and whatnot so id assume they could be taught to do the same to say a bear or something. plus youd never loose an animal you have shot, best tracking dogs alive.

76Chevy

Barracuda
10-04-2007, 01:05 PM
A hound is a whole lot different then a normal dog. If you are looking for a bloodhound go on the UKC board and get some info and feedbackand if you decide you wish to aqquire one then choose a bloodline from the genetic predisposition you are looking for.

Our hounds take alot more work then almost any other dog you could imagine. To teach them to obey commands and to control them takes a very dedicated person ( or in our case my wife and I are both heavily involved ) that is more stubborn then the hound and you have to adapt and your training methods to suit your needs. Some people say you cant train then but that isnt neccasarily true it is just that you have to understand the dogs genetic tendancies and limitations and you have to put in the endless amount of time required to get the desired results (it never ends because a hound will always push the envelope and try to take advantage of almost every opportunity)

Our hounds listen to commands come sit etc as long as they havent completly lost their marbles because of game and we really stay on top of things with them so they dont lapse

we put alot of work into getting our hounds to be controllable and very few people ,even houndsmen can dedicate the time effort and energy you have to put into the dog to make it a civilized animal.
Our lives in many ways have to take into account the needs of the hounds , they are not and will never be the type of dog that you can go to the park with and play catch, and follow you on hikes.

That being said there is nothing more pleasureable and exciting then watching your hounds and hard work all come into play on a hunt.
Be sure of what you are getting into and good luck.

diggerpax
10-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Great quote Barracuda- hit the nail right on the head. One thing to add- 5 acres is nothing for a hound, 100 acres would not be enough- the dogs will still have to be caged or tied- they will go for miles and miles.

horshur
10-04-2007, 06:44 PM
I don't have any experience with Bloodhounds but was very impressed with bloodhound crosses(Majestic type) Mindful,respect,decent handle, and trailed a iced up Tom track with little trouble.....I'd say go for it you will never know less you try.......I wouldn't take just anybody's word for it.

houndogger
10-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Ya Majestics are nice8-)

76Chevy
10-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Great quote Barracuda- hit the nail right on the head. One thing to add- 5 acres is nothing for a hound, 100 acres would not be enough- the dogs will still have to be caged or tied- they will go for miles and miles.

yes I realize this. the property is fenced though so the animal(s) would not need to be stuck in the house or tied up all day is what I was getting at.

and thanks for the advice so far.

76Chevy

diggerpax
10-04-2007, 10:46 PM
I don't have any experience with Bloodhounds but was very impressed with bloodhound crosses(Majestic type) Mindful,respect,decent handle, and trailed a iced up Tom track with little trouble.....I'd say go for it you will never know less you try.......I wouldn't take just anybody's word for it.

Do you use the same reasoning when trying to pick up a rattlesnake after 10 people told you it would bite? And 4 years of vet school make me more than "just anybody"

houndogger
10-05-2007, 06:32 AM
76chevy If you set on bloodhounds then I would suggest you get one to start. They are a little hard headed but more then trainable. I can call my hounds off a tree and walk the six of them back to the truck without a leash. So I would say with time you will get your bloodhound doing what you want.

Spokerider
10-05-2007, 10:03 AM
I have owned two airedales and an english x treeing walker.

All have been indoor dogs, and all I've had since a pup except one 'dale.

In short, the hound listens better than either of the dales in the home and off leash on hikes, loves to swim after and fetch sticks in the water, retrieves thrown balls, is good with other dogs, and face-barks less than the 'dales.

Dogs is dogs.

Get what you want. The dog you choose WILL be the product of it's breeding, so research the abilities, faults and disposition of the pedigree well.

horshur
10-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Do you use the same reasoning when trying to pick up a rattlesnake after 10 people told you it would bite? And 4 years of vet school make me more than "just anybody"

4 years of anything don't really amount to much---after 20 maybe I might think your somebody...........your gonna come against it with that "Education" arrogance.
I've 4 years of a sociology degree and I ain't solved the worlds problems or even most of mine.
If you have actually had a Bloodhound or ten then you just might know something about bloodhounds but that don't come with a guarantee either.

Sniper
10-06-2007, 12:23 PM
The Bloodhound crossed with a Redbone\Black n Tan or just about any hound can be great hunting dogs in fact I would be real tempted my self if I heard about some Redbone X Bloodhound pups. The critisism I here about using pure Bloodhounds to hunt cats is they are to slow and heavy to get into a chase.The butcher at Savona meat cutting had Majestic pups a little while back, could easily have a few left.