PDA

View Full Version : Goose Shooting Question

Crazy_Farmer
09-22-2007, 08:18 AM
I've been wondering how everyones been killing their geese. Pass Shooting, decoying them in or jump shooting them. It goes along with a question of how pressured our birds are. The more guys that decoy the birds right in is the best but I understand some dont have that option, pass shooting can teach the birds to be wary of decoys and want to flare out to un-shootable range. Same goes for skybusters, if you keep shooting at birds in the 60-70 yard range all you're doing is teaching them to stay that distance away and never come closer. I know our birds are no where as near as pressured as say the prairies but I've come across geese in the past that as the season goes on the residents are taught a certain way to act.

Dano
09-22-2007, 11:19 AM
I would prefer to decoy birds but in general, most of my goose shooting is pass shooting (especially the spring hunt). Usually it's close range, under 40 yards.
Dan

todbartell
09-22-2007, 11:19 AM
field hunts over dekes for me, although I havent gotten to go out yet this year.

4ptbuck
09-23-2007, 09:52 AM
For Snows, I have them cupped and comitted. For Canada's it's mainly pass shooting. I do have the dekes out, and they do make a 'pass' over them. Hardly ever, do they cup and comitt, typically it's more of a looksee.

Danny
09-23-2007, 01:29 PM
When the landing gear drops thats when we let loose
Nice and close
Same for ducks