PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunting ethics

Mooseman
02-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Here is an article that hits it right on for me. I hope you enjoy it. It made me understand a couple of things that I was unsure about thus far.
http://www.africasbowhunter.co.za/ethics.html

The link will not get you to their main website which is nice to look at and dream a bit. Here is that link:
http://www.africasbowhunter.co.za

Sweet dreams,

Mooseman

bochunk2000
02-11-2005, 01:42 AM
I think that's a great article. The example it makes me think of was in this past hunting season. I passed up a 45 yard shot broadside on a nice sized bear. I had limited myself to 40 yards due to the fact that at 40 yards I get 10/10 arrows in an 8" circle(killzone) at 45 yards its 9/10. I felt it was unethical to take that risk. There is no rule that says not to take that shot. Steve.

Blacktail
02-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Great article

I admire your stance on your hunt too;)

fester
02-11-2005, 07:23 PM
I had a shot at my first bear this last spring and had an awesome stalk(my first), we have all had it my heart was pounding I thought for sure the bear could hear my heart and breathing it was so loud. When I finally flicked the safety off and was ready to shoot a few meters in front of my bear a cub jumps up looks at me made some noise and ran off into the bush with his ma. I was so excited my buddy watched the whole thing from afar it lasted probably 20 mins total. I had shots before but did not feel comfortable with the distance so decided to get closer. My buddy commended me on my decision to wait longer and get a touch closer. That alone as a friend I enjoy the respect he has for me for that.
I think that ethics play a huge part in hunting and that being a hunter that follows the regulations demands more respect from the non-hunting community because of the incredible decision you have to make when you pull the trigger because it is a flesh and blood animal not a paper target anymore.

I know this is supposed to be about bowhunting but I have no experience with bowhunting....yet
Thunder-stix has been taking me to the indoor practice shoots and I am addicted.

barehunter
02-21-2005, 06:12 PM
What a great article moose ! I suppose everybody does have a different take on ethics and what is right or wrong . We all hunt for different reasons and any article that can make you reflect on what your expectations of your hunt and yourself are has to be good!