PDA

View Full Version : easy up moose calls

bone-collector
12-21-2003, 11:22 AM
I was playing around last night with kids and chris(my 12 year old) asked if I thought anyone else carted a coffee can moose call around, said I didnt know but would ask around

anyone thats ever used one knows they work , and dam well to .
so I thought I would put instructions up so others could solve that winter boredom (at least for 1/2 hour haha)

supplies needed:

1 - big metal coffee can ( mine is aprox 6-7inches high and about 4-5 inches across opening)

1 - hockey skate lace
1 - roll of camo tape
1 - roll ductape

a drill and small bit

-start off by drilling a small hole in dead center of bottom of coffee can
-next push skate lace through hole and tie in a good knot
-cut lace off at aprox 18-24" below can so you have a frayed end
-wrap cammo tape around outside of can, I do this for 2 reasons, #1- takes the shine out of the can #2- dullens the tinny sound

- next put some strips of ductape inside the can again to dullen the tinny sound

and your done :D

soak lace in water for a moment and pull on it , try it a few times until you get a rythm going of a good cow beller,

also , the can can be used near swamps and water to impersinate a cow moose urinating in the water, by filling the can and slowly pooring it out in a puddle or stream ,

#3 you can also scrub brush with bottom of can , little ruff on your cammo tape but works well

have fun :D

Thunderstix
12-21-2003, 01:15 PM
I am one who has used the coffee can method. My friends uncle laughed at me a couple of years ago because of this (he couldn't believe it could sound like moose). One day they left camp a few minutes before me (on foot). I decided to "practice" a bit before leaving. Later when I talked to my buddy, he told me his uncle nearly jumped out of his hunting boots when he heard what he thought was a moose nearby, and had quickly chambered round (I had made a couple of grunts).

Thanks for the tip about the duct tape as that makes good sense.

QnsCowboy
12-21-2003, 01:34 PM
Laughing my ass off....I am glad I am not the only one who has used a coffee can.....

However, quick story...My dad and his buddy were loading a large Mulie into the back of a truck a number of years ago, up Pink Mountain way, My dad said buddy was grunting so loudly loading this deer into the truck that he managed to call out a bull...some times moose are as dumb as they look...

bone-collector
12-21-2003, 01:38 PM
yw thunder(on the tape thing)

and yes moose are stupid as hell, I have had bulls come right out to us while cutting firewood(chainsaw groan as it burries itself in a log) other instances , a guy snoring in a tent when we were up at atlin 1 year, moose was 30 yards outside grunting away at him snoring(moose died)

I think the can call is about as good as it gets for beginners , and even experts , no thinking about what noises to make it just makes the right ones all the time :!:

dizzydan
12-21-2003, 01:56 PM
Rob i use it all the time with great sucsess. I do not soak lace in water I carry rossin for a fiddle and put it on the lace then pull the lace between my thumb and forefinger. I don't pull the lace threw the can. DAN>>> 8)
Sometimes i will crush a very small piece of rosin in my finger & thumb then play them a tune. :lol: :lol:

MADTRAPPER
12-21-2003, 03:14 PM
Bone-collector,

I read about your moose call in Field & Stream, only they used a rawhide lace and a 10 oz. can.

I never ever tried one though, knew a fellow who swore by his though.

You mentioned chainsaws, I've seen that happen.

I guess I'll have to make one of those moose calls and try it out for next year.

I also agree moose are very dumb sometimes... :lol:

Thunderstix
12-21-2003, 05:33 PM
Rob i use it all the time with great sucsess. I do not soak lace in water I carry rossin for a fiddle and put it on the lace then pull the lace between my thumb and forefinger. I don't pull the l;ace through the can:
Neither does Rob (pulling the string through the can I mean)! Me thinks you misunderstand Rob :wink: :D

bone-collector
12-21-2003, 05:45 PM
yea , I do same thing , pulling the string with thumb and index dan :D

bcboy
12-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Only problem I had was in 20 below C the string freezes....might try the rosin. Also I put a bit of moss in the can to vary the tone. :idea:

bone-collector
12-21-2003, 06:12 PM
moss would be a great idea, if we had any were I hunt haha, logging blocks and swamps ...dam cant have it all I guess

bochunk2000
12-21-2003, 07:57 PM
I have been with guys that have used them they swear by them. They use a leather thong also. They have called in many big bulls. I will pas along the use of resin as they had the feezing problem too. Thanks for the tip. :wink:

dizzydan
12-22-2003, 01:17 AM
Yes an old Indian told me about the rosin. He never used the can but he could take a moose into the back of your truck, then ask you when are you going to shoot. Have seen it done a few times. (he done it to me ) The old guy is dead now but hope he still has his bottle of XXX wine and it never goes MT. Great Fellow DAN>>>He could tell you some storys,he was the best guide around and a very good friend. :cry:

willyqbc
01-01-2004, 12:36 AM
I mostly just use my own voice, but also carry a "can" just to add a different sound. I don't use a coffee can for mine though, try a 4 litre bleach bottle instead put together with the same method as the coffee can. The larger size of the bottle gives a really deep resonating bellow, and the plastic bottle eliminates the tinny sound you can get from a can.

usually brings in a moose or two!! 8O :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid47/p28d2eea3101b15f4f12391d918d24fd0/fcc53dc2.jpg
Later
Chris

bone-collector
01-01-2004, 01:20 AM
dont see many antlers on them critters?

dizzydan
01-01-2004, 05:02 AM
I THink i should have went shopping for a scanner.Never even thought of that at xmass. Santa might have to come around and drop off one more gift.DAN>> :lol: :cry: Then BC if i learn how to scan & post watch out :lol: :wink: 8)

bone-collector
01-01-2004, 10:22 AM
there is some good ones cheap now Dan, think we paid 220 for this one and is scans negatives into pictures for you , kind of a nice thing to have I think, and I know I havent begun to scan out pictures either haha

willyqbc
01-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Bone collector - they are all bulls :D , just no real big ones :? , biggest one was about 35" and most were about the size of the guy you can see in this picture.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid47/pb42466c7f4d39508625ada15cc0a0bc1/fcc53dc1.jpg

We used to do a moose camp here in 5-13 back when there was a 2 week open season. There was usually 12-15 guys in camp and everybody was there for the meat so the first bull you found you shot. That particular year we had 16 guys in camp and we took 11 moose opening day. After splitting the moose up everyone had all the meat they wanted so we hunted deer the rest of the week. And just so people don't think we totally decimated one area, guys ranged as far as 80km from camp in all directions to take these moose!

Chris

Foxer
01-01-2004, 11:49 AM
BCboy made one of those cans - I thought it was the stupidest idea i'd ever heard of.

Then he 'let er rip'. Hooolleeeyyy CRAP! :)

It's an excellent idea. And it takes very little practice. Which is good, as your neighbours probably aren't going to appreciate the fine sound quality as much as you do....

That rosin idea sounds good - anyone know where to get some?

Spitzer
01-01-2004, 12:01 PM
Commercial ketchup cans sound the best as they are of better quality and don't sound so "tinny" like coffe cans. Just go into a dumpster behind some restuarant and you'll find plenty. :wink:

bone-collector
01-01-2004, 12:16 PM
well whatever, ketchup can is metal to , if you tape it up like I mentioned there is no tinny sound and seems to call 45" + bulls out every year guiding :D

Spitzer
01-01-2004, 03:27 PM
well whatever, ketchup can is metal to , if you tape it up like I mentioned there is no tinny sound and seems to call 45" + bulls out every year guiding :D

Well whatever works for you BC, I'm just trying to help. Next time you make one, try a commercial ketchup can and you soon understand what I'm saying.

bone-collector
01-01-2004, 03:36 PM
its ok I am content with the 1 I desinged , works well and hunters like to use it every year, just needs new tape after 11 years of beating around in jetboats and quads guiding

willyqbc
01-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Hey bone-collector, what if anything do you use for scraping bushes etc. I usually just use my plastic jug, but I'm not real happy with the sound I get from it. Any suggestions for something lightweight and compact that does well simulating bulls thrashing the bushes??

Chris

bone-collector
01-01-2004, 03:48 PM
a broken branch about 4-5" round works rather well and you dont have to pack it, I rarly scrape , I have a few areas I know rather well and hunt them , but for a new area I would do alot of seeking out wallows , old dried up swamps that still produce some green grass seem to hold alot of wallows come early october , + I will track a cow before a bull, a bull may travel 20KM in a night, were a cow will stick around and call the bull right in to her , batteling with bulls works but its better off way up north were i guide and there is more 60+" bulls to compete with each other , here I find average bull is 35"-40" and its easy to spook one off , my photo album here shows a few of our success stories :D ,
alot of guys grunt away like crazy , maybe you get a bull maybe not, I have watched a bull @ no more than 50 yards grunt and never heard a freeking thing, saw his head tilt up and his mouth open, alot of guys dont relise a bull will whisper so to speek when he thinks he is close to the cow, you may never hear it if wind is blowing and a loud grunt at that moment would send him running as he figures a bigger bull is there and chalenging him

Spitzer
01-01-2004, 04:58 PM
I use a Coleman green plastic lantern case lid for thrashing. Sounds good and works great, and I don't beat up my birch bark call.

bone-collector
01-01-2004, 05:06 PM
Willy anymore questions you may have please feel free to PM me with them :D

dizzydan
01-01-2004, 09:02 PM
As for the can I use a 48oz tomatoe juice can wrapped with birch bark and taped on.DAN>>> :wink:

Foxer
01-01-2004, 09:14 PM
does the birch help dan?

I wonder what would be better - birch or duct tape? I guess both would have a similar effect... I wish I knew a moose so I could ask :)

bone-collector
01-01-2004, 09:16 PM
I will be sure to interigate the verry next one before he dies just for you warren :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Foxer
01-01-2004, 09:23 PM
HA - I can just imagine it.. :)

"Hyhoo arrr beink veeery foolish, ve haf Vays of makink hyoo tap vonce for ja und tvice for nein..."

I'm going to pick you up a monocle next time I see one :)

dizzydan
01-03-2004, 06:31 AM
I wrap the bark on the can so when you are sneaking in some place the brush does not hit the can and sound like a church bell :lol: and send the moose into the next county DAN>>>And as far as a birch bark calls i have a few but acquired a nozzle off a Co2 fire ext. when i was on the department, just had to open the small end a bit more. Can not damage it. :lol: :lol: :wink: DAN>>>

Rufus
01-03-2004, 06:28 PM
I have never tried the coffee can call. My brother inlaw back east has used it for many years, says it works like a dam.

Amphibious
01-19-2004, 06:03 PM
just built one. works great. nearly made my roommate fill his pants when I snuck up behind him and let one rip!

MMMMMMMmmmmmWWWWWAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

luckynuts
01-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Well all this talk about moose calls from coffee tins has got me really curious guys. I'm halfway through this tin of crappy coffee and can't wait to try it out.

This past year was my first year calling moose and I can say it is extremely exciting to say the least. Having a bull answer and start coming in from hundreds of yards away right up to within 35-40 yards is amazing. If they would have only been legal :x No matter how hard i concentrated i could not get a mose to grow another brow tine or that number 10 point :roll:

W

Steeleco
10-14-2004, 04:38 PM
I just dug this thread up from way back, can's all ready to go, any hints on how to keep the cord moist and not burn my F'N fingers. I tried wax boot dubbin and it stopped making any noise. I'm running out of spare laces. where's those damd smilies again!!!!

3kills
10-14-2004, 05:15 PM
just keep a lil bottle of water with ya...if u go to post reply instead of quick reply u get the smilies...

Steeleco
10-14-2004, 09:05 PM
Thanks Darcy.

3kills
10-15-2004, 01:10 AM
not a problem...

ratherbefishin
10-15-2004, 06:42 AM
kerosine or diesel works better to moisten the bootlace.

MB_Boy
10-15-2004, 08:26 AM
Hi Guys,

I generally keep posts at a minimum. But on this one I can tell you my Dad (moose biologist/dork) who has been featured on his own special on discovery channel and also has his own videos on moose has used these calls and they do work quite well. We tend to use birchbark horns the majority of the time as there are some other good sounds that you can mimic with them that can get the bulls a runnin'. If anyone uses one and you are calling next to water if you get a bull responding try using the wide end of the horn pushing it straight down into the water to mimic the sound of a moose tromping through the water/swamp/bog. Other trick that has worked is cover the narrow end of the horn with your hand and fill it up some water....letting it out slowly sounds like an animal urinating in the water.....laugh away....it works. When you have a moose dork of a Dad like mine who has spent his whole life studying them you learn some tricks for when you are out hunting them as wel primarily call when we hunt. One other trick for those that may use a horn. If you can see a bull that is showing some interest but will not come in or is wandering off in a different direction....if you have a partner with you and are using a horn, let your partner make a call or two. My Dad and I have turned moose a quick 180 when they all of a sudden hear a slightly different pitch and may think there is more than one cow hanging around. We have video of a small bull that was way off in a swamp who was slowly coming in, but had lost interest until I took the horn from my Dad and gave a gentle cow call....turned him around in an instant.

Just thought I would pass on some tips. Good luck this fall guys....and for a guy who hunts when I head back home in MB....it is great seeing all the pics and hearing the stories.

Scott

Thunderstix
10-15-2004, 09:03 AM
When I am calling in a heavily rutting and full of energy and spunk bull I use a regular coffee can. When I am calling in a mellow, laid back bull then I use a decaf coffee can. Works well.

3kills
10-15-2004, 09:12 AM
lol @ thunderstix...if u put water in the coffee can and then dump it into that lake or swamp it works just like mb boy was talkin about with puttin water in the horn....

Steeleco
10-15-2004, 03:18 PM
When I am calling in a heavily rutting and full of energy and spunk bull I use a regular coffee can. When I am calling in a mellow, laid back bull then I use a decaf coffee can. Works well.

Now, I know your pulling my leg!!!!!!!!! What mood are they in when I use a Starbucks can. LOL

The can gets a workout starting tommorrow. I'll be sure to let you all know if it works.

bone-collector
10-15-2004, 03:21 PM
if it dosnt work well Steel they make great targets :lol:

I did hear something this fall I can say I never heard in my life, anphibious can atest to it , a cow was calling a bull while we were gutting my bull out, she had a super hi pitched almost wine sound coming across the swamp....made me re-think calling during the rutt and what sounds I create, will be trying out this higher than normal pitch this coming week , see if it works , if not the rutt is still going so I can go back to what I know works :)

good luck by the way

Steeleco
10-15-2004, 03:34 PM
I know a fellow that has a place near where I'm headed for tommorrow, he fiqures the rutt is just about to start and Swamper tells me wet snow is expected this weekend. Cans ready, I'm pumped. Thanks for the tips, BC, if the can dosen't work it's going to get a 250gr nozler through it.http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gifhttp://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gifhttp://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

bone-collector
10-15-2004, 03:47 PM
yes we are suposed to get snow as well and -15 weather at nights I hear come monday , that will push them dam swamp donkeys into it.... they gotta do something to keep warm :lol:

Mulie_Hunter
10-15-2004, 03:58 PM
How much longer do you figure the moose will be rutting for?Bonez

bone-collector
10-15-2004, 04:08 PM
in all honesty with this crappy weather we have been having (pooring rain and +15 during the days) I would hope another good 8 or 9 days once it cools down, some of the old timers here say they will rutt right into november, and maybe the odd ones but it wont be as spectacular as the middle or as myself and anphibious ran into that was just crazy calling everywere and fighting

I should say hopefully another 2 weeks, I doubt it maybe week if we are lucky , who knows for sure it could end tommorow ..that I hope NOT :lol:

dizzydan
10-16-2004, 06:55 AM
Foxer I do that to get rid of the tin sound if you bang the can & it muffles your call also. DAN>>>

Freshtracks
10-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Yes....I fashioned said call out of a 48 oz. Clamato tin (hmmm..Clamato in moose camp?)....used black electricians tape to wrap the exterior for same purposes bc stated.

Just this past trip, first morning, first draw of the call, produced 2 replies, which we then tried to coax out with no success for over an hour.

My mentor(s) to the call...an old retired couple in PG that me and a buddy ran into. Her eye sight was failing bad, so she called with her husband did the shooting. Not a bad info trade off (20 years ago) for hauling that moose out of the slash for them.

MB_Boy
10-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Hey bone-collector, what if anything do you use for scraping bushes etc. I usually just use my plastic jug, but I'm not real happy with the sound I get from it. Any suggestions for something lightweight and compact that does well simulating bulls thrashing the bushes??

Not sure if this has come up at all yet with respect to thrashing trees and bushes. But if you want something that sounds outstanding to rake against a tree or kick the crap out of some bushes try the shoulder blade from a moose. Only thing is you have to get yourself a moose first. We have been using them for years and they work really well. Although not necessarily lightweight and compact it is pretty flat and can tuck easily into a day pack or something along that line.

Scott

cowboy-up69
01-17-2006, 06:17 PM
I use the can moose call all the time... Last season, my moms bf and a friend dropped me off in a swamp, and i started calling, and I called out 4 big bucks actually, they came to the swamp to drink, heard me callin and jus looked around, probly stayed in my sight for probly 10 minutes or so, too bad I already tagged out for deer... And then I was walking back to the road, doin somecallin and scrapin trees and bushes and stuff, and called a 4x4 moose out, came runnin right towards me, I hid behind a bush, and it ran right by me at about 20 yards, and went through the swamp and never heard r saw of him again, it was a pretty cool experience. Deffinately gunna try that out next season for sure!!!

Brambles
01-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Called this one in this year with a Coffee Can call. Worked like a charm, sound travels a great distance.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0464.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0453.jpg

Called this one in Last year with a home built birchbark call. Good sound but doesn't travel nearly as well as the coffee can. However you can use the birch bark call for cow calls as well as bull. The coffee can is pretty much a bull call.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0078.jpg

livingston
01-29-2006, 08:32 PM
We used a coffee can and leather strip and within 20 min of calling had a decent bull out to the lakeshore.Which I was able to harvest(My first moose):D

youngfellla
01-29-2006, 09:01 PM
I use a homemade birchbark call as well. I roll the bark into a trumpet shape, then tie a couple strings around to hold it, and let it soak for a good while. After it's dry I wrap it with ductape, fix a sling to it, ready to go.