PDA

View Full Version : New rule regarding buying and selling.

Steeleco
03-06-2019, 04:00 PM
From this day on ALL new members will NOT be allowed to buy or sell unless the following conditions have been met.

1. The deal is done in the flesh, hands on, cash in hand! You get the idea. Then the long standing member please pipe in and start a thread telling all that want to look, the deal was a good one and start a good rep with the NewB!!

2. Until the first day of the third full month of membership is passed you will not be allowed to do any "online" transactions. So if you join Jan 2nd you cannot do deals until, May 1st. For this We are going to need help from all members in good standing. If a person enters into a transaction with you and they are short of the above 2 requirements send the mods a message.

1st time will be considered an oops, second one will cause a membership decline of 1 newb!!

Steeleco

PS, remember that in the end ALL deals are BUYER beware, we mods can only do so much to protect you from yourselves !!

bcshadow
03-06-2019, 04:54 PM
Good policy, thank you.

BriarPatch
03-06-2019, 05:48 PM
Would it not be possible to block new members from even advertising gear until after the third month of membership.

This would probably eliminate 90% of the shady transactions.

Personally I do not think this would be unreasonable.

albravo2
03-06-2019, 06:11 PM
Well done Steeleco.

Min
03-08-2019, 05:37 PM
Not much of a 'buyer', and not at all a seller. But, no problem here with a rule like that.

guntech
03-11-2019, 05:34 PM
The new rule doesn't affect present members... but it will be a pain in the ass hassle for honest new members... too bad you can't direct it more at the dishonest folk. It is so similar to gun laws...

patbrennan
03-12-2019, 08:11 AM
Nothing says welcome like the old boys club and a bunch of rules aimed specifically at new members!

guntech
03-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Maybe revisiting the old "for sale rules" (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?118495-Forum-rules-and-guidlines) ... rule # 2. Selling for a buddy isn't allowed. Get them to get an account!

Not really a viable option if the new rule - Until the first day of the third full month of membership is passed you will not be allowed to do any "online" transactions. So if you join Jan 2nd you cannot do deals until, May 1st. For this We are going to need help from all members in good standing. If a person enters into a transaction with you and they are short of the above 2 requirements send the mods a message.

Steeleco
03-12-2019, 02:40 PM
We could always just let members get fleeced and do nothing. Can't have it both ways. The last guy was here to do nothing else but rip people off, stolen ID fake name and the like. Which would you rather have? If a person opens an account to sell things and nothing more do we really want them here? This site ONCE was about sharing hunting stories, not a craigslist!!

Wild one
03-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Unfortunately there is not a lot HBC can do in the end people need to use caution

Lots of forums have time or post limit rules and people still get ripped off the only effective tool a forum can provide is the ability to check the persons reputation.

Nice to see effort put into limiting scammers but it is the members responsibility in the end to cover their @ss HBC should not be responsible for trying to babysit buy&sell bettween members. Boot reported scammers is all that can be expected

MODs here already have enough of their time wasted trying to babysit posts on the forum lol

300rum700
03-12-2019, 03:45 PM
You realize there's people that live beyond Hope, right? Makes it pretty tough if you live in the North or interior.

tigrr
03-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Wouldn't it be more friendly to do a Feedback score like CGN has? I live in the middle of nowhere and it is hard to do face to face in Langley.

guntech
03-12-2019, 05:45 PM
Wouldn't it be more friendly to do a Feedback score like CGN has? I live in the middle of nowhere and it is hard to do face to face in Langley.

Yes it is ridiculous... face to face on the mainland is out of the question for those who live on Vancouver Island too...

it's not about being friendly for sure...

Gateholio
03-12-2019, 08:24 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?150252-Donna1-Scammer

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?151079-Mich-Bacon

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?150973-Traviss&highlight=traviss

Steeleco
03-12-2019, 09:28 PM
Yes it is ridiculous... face to face on the mainland is out of the question for those who live on Vancouver Island too...

it's not about being friendly for sure...

You among others were in negotiations with Traviss for items of all kinds, had I done nothing there would be a whole different set of threads about how we did nothing and long time members got ripped off. If a genuine person joins up and has to wait 3 months whats the big deal, rip off artists may no wait that long, they'll find another site.

guntech
03-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Steeleco

I was in negotiations to sell to 'travis' but he was unwilling to pay me...

Gateholio

The new rules would make it harder for the three examples you posted...

but it has also made it harder for every honest person in the future.

I think if all the members stopped hiding behind fake names and used our real names and addresses the moderators could see more easily the frauds...

I do think it is good we are having this discussion.

Steeleco
03-12-2019, 09:34 PM
You realize there's people that live beyond Hope, right? Makes it pretty tough if you live in the North or interior.

If someone has a trader rating on another site post it up. Would you rather be out of pocket or have to wait a few weeks?

Steeleco
03-12-2019, 09:38 PM
We Mods and in fact many members have zero means to tell a crook from an honest member, and I will admit it's at the new members expense. How else do we deal with shit like this?
This guy(TRAVISS) is asking for photos of my gun for sale HE HAS A STOLEN ID
https://i.imgur.com/H9A8uHo.jpg

REMINGTON JIM
03-12-2019, 09:49 PM
We could always just let members get fleeced and do nothing. Can't have it both ways. The last guy was here to do nothing else but rip people off, stolen ID fake name and the like. Which would you rather have? If a person opens an account to sell things and nothing more do we really want them here? This site ONCE was about sharing hunting stories, not a craigslist!!

Well PUT ! If people don t like the way its run go else where like CGN - jmo RJ

DoubleDeuce
03-12-2019, 10:27 PM
I don’t think this is unreasonable.
Personally I have always had great interactions with the people I’ve dealt with on this site.And I’ve learned lots and felt generally welcomed.
The internet (well the world really) is full of folks who would sooner rip people off rather than treat one another decently,I think the HBC forums is a community aimed at the latter (fellow hunters and outdoorsmen with common ground and a spot to find eachother)and that is something worth cultivating and protecting.Thats why I joined these forums and not some of the others.
My two cents anyway as a newer member (been here just over a year and a bit)

patbrennan
03-13-2019, 07:19 AM
Steeleco

I was in negotiations to sell to 'travis' but he was unwilling to pay me...

Gateholio

The new rules would make it harder for the three examples you posted...

but it has also made it harder for every honest person in the future.

I think if all the members stopped hiding behind fake names and used our real names and addresses the moderators could see more easily the frauds...

I do think it is good we are having this discussion.

I too think it is good we are having this discussion. The only couple deals I ever had not go very smoothly (on another site!) were within the last few years (I was the buyer in each case) so it is definitely buyer beware in any case.

tigrr
03-13-2019, 08:07 AM
So
1 90 days before nemby's can sell or buy.
2 Then say they must post 30 posts as well in that time. Contribute to the site.
Untill both are met they can't even apply to view the selling/buying threads.
Trader rating would help as well.

Steeleco
03-13-2019, 03:32 PM
So
1 90 days before nemby's can sell or buy.
2 Then say they must post 30 posts as well in that time. Contribute to the site.
Untill both are met they can't even apply to view the selling/buying threads.
Trader rating would help as well.

IIRC in the early days of CGN before the big crash and the new site, there was a rule about post count, that just drove people to pipe in useless BS on low viewed threads just to get the post count up.

At the end of the day the primary rules still applies. "BUYER BEWARE" if a deal is too good to be true it may just be!

Steeleco
03-28-2019, 03:08 PM
He joined before the rule and has some posts prior. If a member is interested be diligent, check other forums like CGN for trader ratings. Buyer beware!!

donny.brooke
03-31-2019, 08:06 AM
Hey be careful no question nicholast is a scammer!!

REMINGTON JIM
03-31-2019, 09:08 AM
I see nicholast was CHECKING in here at 2 11 am ! :mad: Banning HIM was a GOOD thing ! RJ

donny.brooke
03-31-2019, 10:48 AM
Traviss and nicholast are same guy

Gateholio
03-31-2019, 11:12 AM
If you see a for sale post that looks suspicious, please use the report a post feature.

REMINGTON JIM
03-31-2019, 12:14 PM
Traviss and nicholast are same guy

Yes Banned too ! :evil: RJ

Weatherby Fan
03-31-2019, 12:41 PM
If you see a for sale post that looks suspicious, please use the report a post feature.

Will do Gate thank you

lowball
03-31-2019, 04:04 PM
Always good to be truthful how a transaction actually went. Heads up is always good to stop another victim of a scammer!

Downtown
03-31-2019, 08:41 PM
I can understand the Moderators Frustration but I am afraid you punishing the good Guys because of a few Bad Apples. I also know this Site is a Business not a Democracy but perhaps we are allowed to make a few suggestions.

Myself I prefer how this is handled at CGN but again its always Buyer beware. Perhaps it is reasonable that new Members should have a certain amount of Posts before they are allowed to offer something for sale. This could also help making this site more interesting because even the Dullest Knucklehead Latte Sucking ...........well you get my drift, may has something to contribute we can learn from.

And finally the Internet made it easy for Scammers and it probably going to get worse therefore Buyer beware.

Cheers

mikethemad1212
05-14-2019, 07:05 PM
I'm a new B, I got some stuff to sell but I shall wait my turn and Im pretty much always looking to buy (lefty stuff lol) I joined March 11 ish and the new post about the new rule was put in March 6, so I guess I missed my window by a few days. I have a new rifle and I'm looking for a good scope so I guess in the mean time Ill look in the forums for scope info. I have a vortex but I'm actually pretty unhappy with it considering all the rave reviews I heard before buying it.

donny.brooke
05-20-2019, 07:59 PM
Still new guys posting for sale items? Hroth is a newbie who joined May 16th with 1 post and a high end rifle for sale already, so much for new guy posting rules?

Steeleco
05-21-2019, 06:24 AM
DB, we have lives and believe it it or not WE HUNT TOO

Gateholio
05-21-2019, 08:00 AM
Still new guys posting for sale items? Hroth is a newbie who joined May 16th with 1 post and a high end rifle for sale already, so much for new guy posting rules?

If you see this happening, use the REPORT A POST ! triangle button so we can look at it.

donny.brooke
05-21-2019, 08:04 AM
My last post was a general warning about a new guy posting a gun for sale. This isnt a moderator policing issue it's a new guy not following the rules issue, I bet some new guys have no idea there is posting rules. Being a honour system HBC is easy pickings for scammers and helping each other out by posting these things should be encouraged. My days of saying anything just came to an end.

Steeleco
05-22-2019, 05:11 AM
My days of saying anything just came to an end. We appreciate the help! Members just need to remember that we don't read all threads and are not always on here. The report a post is a great tool for making things happen quicker! Hell I get notices to my phone for those!

Gateholio
05-22-2019, 07:52 AM
My days of saying anything just came to an end.

That's up to you, but for anyone else that sees something suspicious, please use the REPORT A POST feature. it's the best and most efficient way of letting multiple moderators know about something with just a click of a button.

BCBRAD
05-22-2019, 08:11 AM
I do some buy / sell / trade on public forms such as this and others.

What I have been doing is asking for a picture of the person holding their RPAL/PAL next to their head at eye level. At least on bigger ticket items.

At least I know who I am dealing with. I do the same in return.

Redthies
06-02-2019, 08:24 AM

I’m happy to see rules for the for sale section modified. Another forum I’m a chapter president of made it so you could only use the classifieds after 50 posts. I’m not sure if that was something they could do in the settings of the forum software?

Guntech- Your name and address idea is a bit out there. I get the not being able to hide thing, but we probably don’t want to create a “go to list” for gun thieves and B&E guys.

doddatto
06-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Been a member for sometime, have sold a few firearms on here and am in good standing, am i allowed to sell a firearm i have ? Just checking before i make a post

Thanks

Gateholio
06-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Yes sure......

Rye
08-07-2019, 08:57 AM
Reading through the sales rules and the comments, I (as a new guy) am not clear what exactly is/isn’t allowed... by my read:
- if I want to buy something, I can buy now provided I complete the transaction in person, if I want to buy via email/EMT/shipping I need to wait for the three month mark.
- if I want to sell something, I can list it now, but it has to be “in person transaction only”. If I want to sell by email/EMT/shipping I need to wait for the three month mark.

Can a mod please confirm if this is correct, or else clarify? I don’t want to waste my time or anyone else’s.

Related, if you are expecting new members to stick to in-person transactions for the first three months, it would be really useful if ads mentioned where the seller is located.

Steeleco
08-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Reading through the sales rules and the comments, I (as a new guy) am not clear what exactly is/isn’t allowed... by my read:
- if I want to buy something, I can buy now provided I complete the transaction in person, if I want to buy via email/EMT/shipping I need to wait for the three month mark.
- if I want to sell something, I can list it now, but it has to be “in person transaction only”. If I want to sell by email/EMT/shipping I need to wait for the three month mark.

Can a mod please confirm if this is correct, or else clarify? I don’t want to waste my time or anyone else’s.

Related, if you are expecting new members to stick to in-person transactions for the first three months, it would be really useful if ads mentioned where the seller is located.

In person deals cannot be controlled by anyone outside the persons involved. In short the rule was to protect members from scammers. Of late a few have been taken for not small sums of money. Scammers won't wait 3 months!
I trust your a hunter, some won't even list the province they're in let alone their town of better yet "honey hole"

papaken
09-10-2019, 11:07 PM
Don't know what the problem is? When I try to reply to an ad in the exchange forum I get a message that I am not allowed to???
Can you let me know why I can't?
Thanks papaken

Rackmastr
09-11-2019, 06:33 AM
Don't know what the problem is? When I try to reply to an ad in the exchange forum I get a message that I am not allowed to???
Can you let me know why I can't?
Thanks papaken

You can't reply to others buy and sell ads. Just have to use PM function to contact them

joehunter
10-02-2019, 07:35 PM
good on ya. keep up the good work.

tom
10-08-2019, 06:16 PM
As a victim of a scam I am all for this new rule.

Tom

Jamesonm
10-12-2019, 09:05 AM
I agree that the three month rule may help eliminate the amount of scammers.

I was previously on this forum years ago, but when I tried to log in again I had to re activate my account. This is the same username. I was asking users what grain the recommended for my .270 WSM.

Is it possible to have access to the used forum? I am currently looking for a pair of quality binos, but don't want to break the bank and am to pick up something where a user has upgraded.

Look forward to hearing back. I read through the comments and appreciate everyone's insight on previous bino topics.

I am happy to provide contact information to the appropriate adminstrative persons. I work for government and you can easily look me up.

Thanks
Jameson

stever
10-14-2019, 05:53 PM
Is this site still active I have been away for a while and it seems a lot of posts are very old?

Elkaholic
11-18-2019, 03:55 PM
I think you would notice it pretty active if you looked at the real forums not just a dead news thread.

downsouth204
03-09-2020, 10:56 AM
The new rules seem perfectly reasonable given there is no i-trader or similar setup on here. I was one of the people that dealt with the travis guy, and luckily felt something was amiss and avoided being ripped off by using my own common sense, and the efforts of the folks on here.
I would suggest anyone buying or selling to use multiple lines of communication with a person. So messaging on here, a phone call and or emailing and texting them. One of the tools I use, is that many people advertising on here, myself included, also advertise and browse on CGN, which uses I trader ratings. Easy enough to ask the person if they are on there and have a look at their rating.
If they work at a business, check out the business on the web and see if they have a bio on there for their staff. Just investigate in any way you can, and if you feel somethings up, pass on the deal. Doesn't guarantee you won't get ripped off, but doing all that you can certainly cuts the risk.
I will relate a recent transaction I had with a gentleman on here who frankly gave off some signs of something being up. Wanted to mail me a cheque for payment, didn't have an email address, didn't text. But he was open to a phone call. So after a lengthy chat on the phone, I found out not only was this an older guy who simply wasn't interested in the complication of modern technology, but found out we had friends and interests in common and he had recently dealt with the owner of the business I work for at a sports show.
So as he was in no hurry, he mailed me a cheque, I cashed it at my bank and mailed him the item, a smooth transaction by any standards, if a bit out of time :)
I let him know that I wouldn't be sending anything his way till the cheque cleared, and he was fine with that, and I really don't think either of us had any concern after talking for an hour on the phone.
Buying is of course more of a risk and frankly if anything was out of place I'd pass, and if its too good of a deal to pass up on, maybe there's your first clue.

Edzzed
03-10-2020, 09:18 AM
My suggestion is an escrow service. They hold the money. Being as honest as I am, Olympic volunteer, PAL, Blood donor, Employed same company 34 years. Send me the money and I will hold it till everyone is happy and then I will go spend it in Mexico. https://www.420magazine.com/community/data/avatars/h/334/334181.jpg?1579613153

Retiredguy
03-27-2020, 04:07 AM
So is the requirement to have a face to face deal still a "must do"? I live up north and getting together with someone to buy face to face may take a long time as I avoid the lower-mainland like the plague. Waiting three months is fine, but then I think a guy should be able to avail themselves of the buy and sell, otherwise it kind of makes the whole buy and sell area worthless to anyone who does not live in or near a big city.

Steeleco
03-27-2020, 05:00 AM
So is the requirement to have a face to face deal still a "must do"? I live up north and getting together with someone to buy face to face may take a long time as I avoid the lower-mainland like the plague. Waiting three months is fine, but then I think a guy should be able to avail themselves of the buy and sell, otherwise it kind of makes the whole buy and sell area worthless to anyone who does not live in or near a big city.

If you believe during any correspondence that you trust the seller by all means do the deal. The rule is intended to dissuade NEW members from showing up only to sell items. In some cases of late, rip people off. At the end of the day as always its "buyer beware!"

jcronk
01-30-2021, 12:19 PM
Newb here but not to other sites. Pretty tough to do an in person buy even without the Covid travel restrictions. I do not live in BC. I already have positive feedback on CGN and Alberta Outdoorsmen for several buys sells and trades. Also good rep at Switzers Auctions. I pay promptly by EMT or credit card so seller already has payment. Of multiple transactions over a couple decades only two have actually been in person. That’s the benefit of the internet. I registered with HuntingBC because I became aware of an item that fits into my collecting but that will be long gone during a 3 month wait and the cost to travel a couple thousand kms simply makes a buy cost-ineffective. Thanks for reading this. Jack

Steeleco
01-31-2021, 08:07 AM
Newb here but not to other sites. Pretty tough to do an in person buy even without the Covid travel restrictions. I do not live in BC. I already have positive feedback on CGN and Alberta Outdoorsmen for several buys sells and trades. Also good rep at Switzers Auctions. I pay promptly by EMT or credit card so seller already has payment. Of multiple transactions over a couple decades only two have actually been in person. That’s the benefit of the internet. I registered with HuntingBC because I became aware of an item that fits into my collecting but that will be long gone during a 3 month wait and the cost to travel a couple thousand kms simply makes a buy cost-ineffective. Thanks for reading this. Jack

If I were you I'd and your buying, send the PM to the seller and go from there. We can't stop people buying. The intent of the rule was stop people selling items and ripping members off.

Ronin13
02-10-2021, 08:42 PM
My suggestion is an escrow service. They hold the money. Being as honest as I am, Olympic volunteer, PAL, Blood donor, Employed same company 34 years. Send me the money and I will hold it till everyone is happy and then I will go spend it in Mexico. https://www.420magazine.com/community/data/avatars/h/334/334181.jpg?1579613153

I like your honesty. Shut up and take my money!

Blacktail1
02-10-2021, 08:58 PM
Maybe refer to Alberta outdoorsman rules on buy sell for new members. Good policy. Makes other members have a chance to get to know other members so to speak.

MercerThomasRichard
06-28-2021, 08:41 AM
Will you pls reply back to let me know if I made my limited entry draw. Thankyou.
Tom Mercer

Redthies
06-29-2021, 02:43 PM
Welcome to HBC Thomas. You need to log in to your bc govt page (via BC EID) and the results of your entries will be found there. Nobody on this forum will have any idea on what you drew, if anything.

Blueback2014
05-31-2022, 02:26 PM
I have a sig saur 9 mm Eite stainless , never fired. for sale. can I put it on here and if so how do I do it? Blueback2014

Steeleco
05-31-2022, 05:29 PM
I have a sig saur 9 mm Eite stainless , never fired. for sale. can I put it on here and if so how do I do it? Blueback2014Place the add in the firearms for sale section. It's as simple as any other post. The pics I'd suggest via test or e-mail. Bumps after 7 days and an asking price is required.