PDA

View Full Version : Best Compound?

Dirty
02-06-2005, 07:38 PM
I am looking to upgrade to a higher quality compound bow. I was wondering what you guys think is the best bow for hunting and target shooting. I have been looking at Bowtechs and Archery Researchs. Any thoughts or suggestions out there?

willyqbc
02-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Well that really depends on what you value most in your bows? All the reputable manufacturers out there make great quality bows so it really depends on what you are looking for in a bow. If you can tell us what you are looking for, I'm sure we can suggest a few manufacturers or possibly even specific models. So what'll it be.......smooth shooting???.....raw speed???....Forgiveness???.....quietness??
Also, what is the primary use going to be? Is the hunting or the target shooting more important to you? Finally, do you have a preference of solo cam or dual cam. Basically tell us exactly what you want out of a bow and we can suggest several to fit the bill, then its just a matter of trying them and seeing which feels best to you and fits your budget!

Chris

Dirty
02-06-2005, 09:24 PM
I want a bow that is fast and quiet, mostly used for hunting but i like to shoot targets as well. I have no preference as to whether it is dual or single cam. Cost isn't really an issue

willyqbc
02-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Ok I'm gonna throw a list at you here, the Mathews Switchback and Bowtechs Equalizer cam bows fit your criteria well, but I'm really not a fan of first year productions. Give them a year or so and see how they do.

So okay here's my pics

From Mathews I really like the LX. Mathews makes one of the quietest bows on the market, and the LX is a tried and tested favourite. It is quick with an IBO of 317fps and an adequate brace height of 6 5/8". It is not silky smooth, but it is certainly nice to shoot. This bow will perform and will not let you down.

From Hoyt you would have to consider the Ultra-tec. Since its introduction it has become one of the most widely used bows on the planet. it is a great all around bow for any application. It is pretty quiet, has a good 7" brace height and will hit IBO's of 315fps with xt2000 limbs and spiral cams. Also a very smooth shooting bow. The other great feature of the ultra-tecs and pretty much all the Hoyts is they have draw weight adjustments of 15# or more. Again this bow is tried and tested and will be rock solid for you for many years.

The AR bows while very smooth just don't produce enough speed for my tatses. However, if I was looking for a 30yd treestand bow the AR 34 would be my choice as it is quite possibly the quietest bow I have ever shot.

From Bowtech i think the best bow they ever made is no longer available The Extreme VFT produced blazing speeds (IBO 333), very light weight at only 3.4lbs. It was only moderately quiet... not great, but adequate. The draw is stiff but it shoots smooth and is a small price to pay for the speed produced in my opinion. I personally own 2 and am looking for a third because they are no longer being produced. You can probably still pick up one of last years models for a little while yet. The closest thing to them in the new Bowtech lineup is the Patriot VFT with infinity cam....basically the same bow, but with a slightly shorter axle to axle.

Martin and Darton I will not comment on as I personally have no experience with them.

PSE has a reputation for blowing up limbs, and from what I have seen the reputation is well deserved.

So there ya go.... my picks for the best all around bows on the market today.
Take it for what its worth and hope it helps! If you need any more info on these bows or any other let me know and i will do my best to help you out!

Chris

Dirty
02-06-2005, 11:35 PM
My little brother has a hoyt magna-tec with the xt-2000 limbs, he picked it up set up with cobra sights, whisker biscuit, and the whole nine yards for 400$ It was from a friend who is upgrading and had shot it maybe half a dozen times in the back yard. This is kinda of my reason for looking for a new bow. After seeing how much faster and quieter it was than my bow I am definitely looking to upgrade soon. Thanks very much for the info Chris I am gonna start looking into those bows you have listed.

Fred
02-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Heck, I paid $400 just for my used Mathews Feathermax and was glad to get it. It was tough at the time finding a used Bow in my size!:cry: Fred

willyqbc
02-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Let me know your draw length and the weight you are wanting to pull. I may be able to put you into a very gently used hoyt all geared up and ready to hunt for around $500 - $600. i know the fellow who owns it and it has been shot very little and well taken care of. Can't remember which model off the top of my head, but can find out if your interested.

Chris

Dirty
02-07-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm not really interested in buying something that is used, but thanks for the offer Chris. Another question do those Extreme VFT's come in optional single or double cam and if so which is better.

willyqbc
02-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Solo cam only on the VFT, which is a far better option in an all-around bow in my humble opinion. The 80% let-off of a solo is very nice to have on a cold winter morning when after sitting, freezing your butt off for hours, your suddenly needing to draw and hold your bow as you wait for the buck to clear into a shooting lane! If speed and raw power are at the top of the priority list the VFT has it all over the Hoyt or Mathews. Its not as smooth as a hoyt, or as quiet as a Mathews, but neither will they produce the kind of speeds the VFT will.

Chris

oldtimer
02-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Another question you need to ask yourself is , who in your area has the best after sale service or warranty work. All the bows Chris has talked about are excellent bows Myself I like my High Country:p . Some of the high speed bows have a tendency to shake things apart which generally happens happens at 3D shoots. At least that is what I have seen. Mike

Walksalot
02-12-2005, 08:43 PM
I want a bow that is fast and quiet, mostly used for hunting but i like to shoot targets as well. I have no preference as to whether it is dual or single cam. Cost isn't really an issue

My the highest priority is on forgivness because when hunting one is not always in the perfect position to shoot a bow. When it comes to being out of position and form is a little sideways on a shot I will take less speed and more forgiveness. One does not have to be on the bleeding edge of technology to put venison on the table.

3d bowman
03-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the response about the broadheads. Will keep my eyes open for them.
Now about your comment about the AR's. 30 yards bow?? Not fast enough??? The AR will produce speeds in the 300's just like the others. I would have no problem shooting at 40 to 50 yard shots with my AR34. Quiet yes, very quiet!! And besides, fast speeds or over rated. It takes a well placed shot to kill anything, not speed.
What do you shoot?? Would like to hear more on your thoughts. Sounds like you know your stuff.

3d bowman

Kirby
03-06-2005, 08:57 PM
I'll thrown down a recomendation for Alpine, I love mine, fast, smooth, and fairly forgiving. One thing to keep in mind, if you plan on going P&Y, need to watch the let off %.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/140140bowresize-med.jpg

Kirby

willyqbc
03-07-2005, 08:42 AM
3dbowman, I also would not hesittae to go 40 or 50 yards with an AR34, my point was that it would be my choice for a bow where shots were most likely going to be very close, due to the fact that it is such a quiet bow! I do not believe that 300 fp/sec is a reasonable expectation for a hunting set up in these bows though, maybe if you have an exceptionally long draw length. And if you do what is neccesary to take these bows up into that speed range you will lose a lot of the quietness which is one of their best features. Swamper on here owns an AR 34 and i believe that he is getting around 285 @ 30" draw. would get a tad more if he went right down to 5GPP but again it would not be nearly as quiet as it is with his hunting set-up.
All of this is of course just my own opinions. :grin:

As far as what I shoot here's the list

hunting bow - bowtech extreme VFT @73 #'s
3d bow - same as above but in target black
indoor bow - hoyt sapphire that I customized and upgraded to the cam 1/2
system
i also have a PSE takedown recurve and a Kazama one peice recurve.
I have recently owned a hoyt superstar, a css challenger, and a bowtech pro40. between me, the wife and the kids we have 12 bows on the rack, 7 compound and 5 trad! keeps me busy with the bow press and arrow fletcher for sure!!

Once again, welcome to the site and i look forward to your contributions!!

PS - Kirby, Pope and Young has changed the criteria and any let-off is now allowed. The only difference is that anything more than 65% will go into the book with an asterisk beside it to show it was taken with higher let-off.

Chris

Kirby
03-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Chris, thanks for the heads up, when did that happen? I have been out of the loops too long!

Kirby

willyqbc
03-07-2005, 03:16 PM
started last year i believe Kirby, you can even enter older racks which were taken with higher let-off so if you shot a monster 5 years ago with 80% let-off and always wanted it entered, now you can!

Chris