PDA

View Full Version : Traditional 3-d Classes

greybark
02-05-2005, 05:36 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif The lower mainland clubs separate the traditional classes for their 3-d shoots by type of arrow . They are WOOD and OTHER(allum/carbon). They feel that there is more of a performance difference between these types of arrows than that of between Recurve and Longbows.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif Any oppinions on this ??????

REMEMBER -- Kep Your Fingertab On --

willyqbc
02-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Allthough I have never seen the classes broken up this way, i gotta agree that there is a huge difference in the two types of arrows mentioned. When you can get a 300grain carbon arrow to spine properly as oppsed to a 600 grain wood shaft, thats definately gonna make a huge difference in speed, which as we all know is a big advantage in unmarked yardage events like 3D! So as to the matter of your question... yes I think arrow choice will make a bigger difference than longbow or recurve, all else being equal.

Chris

PS I moved this thread to the target forum for you!

timberhunter
02-06-2005, 10:23 AM
We go one step farther. We have a class for traditional longbow, either wood or aluminum arrows. And a class for flatbows as well, wood or aluminum arrows allowed. And recurves fall into another catagory.

They did this because flatbows tend to shoot a lot faster and flatter than an english style bow. There are a lot of us on the island shooting flatbows, either crusaders or thunderbirds, made by marc at checkmate. Myself I can't see why everyone doesn't shoot them, they are awesome bowshttp://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif .

Marc

bochunk2000
02-06-2005, 01:02 PM
I help run the 3D shoots at the Victoria fish and game club on the malahat. I've never even thought about seperating the arrow types. We just have the traddies seperated by bow type. I wonder if the seperate arrow classes will catch on? I will keep an eye on this thread to see what people seem to have a preference for...Steve.

greybark
02-06-2005, 09:54 PM
:D Hey Timberhunter , If there are enough English longbows and Self bows they are together as a class as their performance is similiar(no glass). The thinking here is that Flat and longbows that have glass on the limbs have similiar performance chacteristics and have the same class:lol:

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

J_T
02-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Partly, it comes down to the number of shooters you have in a given category. If you only have 2 shooters, one with a recurve and one with a longbow, you're likely going to have one traditional category.

But as interest in a particular category increases, you have to consider the most logical barriers that keep the game interesting and fair.

The way Cujo is making the Chekmate bows these days, I don't think there is much difference between his flatbow, longbow or recurve. The arrow is the unique difference.

I also like the primitive category for those that are willing to til their own bow and put it to the test against others.

Evidence at the lower mainland shoots clearly suggests the traditional category is expanding.

JT

greybark
02-07-2005, 12:36 PM
:biggrin: Hey JT , That is preciely the class breakdown at the six lower mainland clubs and at the annual TBBC Championships the English and Self bows are in the same class. I have not heard one complaint concerning the classes during the past six years they have been adopted.

:razz: As a point of interest the Longbow (other) was the second largest class in the Abbotsford indoor shoot . The Recurve (other) was the forth largest class . This successfull shoot logs in 660 archer rounds a day and the traditional participants continue to increase each year.

willyqbc
02-07-2005, 01:23 PM
The number of traditional shooters seems to be growing by leaps and bounds everywhere the last couple years. Pretty easy to understand why. A lot of folks are completely intimidated by the world of modern compound archery, Traditional offers a much "simpler" approach. The other big reason i see is that no matter where you go, or what shoot your at, the people on course who are always having the best time are the trad groups, that kind of enthusiasm can be pretty infectious! Heck... I'm even gonna take a run at the trad gear a bit this year....even though I'm really, really bad with my recurve!! So back to the original topic, if i'm shooting a takedown recurve with carbon arrows what category does that make me?:-D ;)

Chris

greybark
02-07-2005, 10:43 PM
:roll: Hey Willyqbc , You would be in TRADITIONAL ( OTHER) Good luck with your recurve. Get the basics down pat , form and a few tricks of the trade and you will be surprised how well you will do.:wink: Heck we might see you at the TBBC Whitetail Hunt and Rock Creek Dinner in Dec .