PDA

View Full Version : Share your oven deer jerky recipe with me...

overthetop
09-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Anyone got any? Don't have a smoker or dehydrater, could get one off google I'm sure but.....tried and tested would be better.

kaptkannon
09-26-2007, 09:18 AM
OTT,

You will just have to buy the HBC cookbook when it comes out. I am pretty sure I included a couple of recipes for Oven jerky in those that I submitted.

newhunterette
09-26-2007, 09:21 AM
yes kaptkannon I believe you did - and the book is going into printing as soon as Marc and I have a cover design we have agreed upon.

Ali

johnes50
09-26-2007, 09:39 AM
I make lazyman Jerky. I buy Eastman jerky seasoning, slice up 5 pounds of meat, mix the two together until the salt and cure have blended into the meat, then put it in the oven at 150-160 degrees F. with the door held open with a big spoon. Wait 5-6 hours or until as dry as you like it. Works everytime. Then I have to beat my son with a stick to keep him away from it.:grin:

There are a lot of good recipes, but this is the fastest easiest way I've found to make Jerky.

I have a Lil' Chief smoker and a bigger propane smoker, but I find making Jerky easier with this method. If you want smoke flavour, just add some liquid smoke to your cure mix.

Gerry
09-26-2007, 10:24 AM
That oven method sounds easy enough. How long would jerky made that way stay edible? Can/should it be frozen? thanks.

The Dawg
09-26-2007, 10:31 AM
I make mine in a dehydrator...picked one up from Wally World for $40. Works great and can do quite a bit at a time.

beeker
09-26-2007, 11:47 AM
I make lazyman Jerky. I buy Eastman jerky seasoning, slice up 5 pounds of meat, mix the two together until the salt and cure have blended into the meat, then put it in the oven at 150-160 degrees F. with the door held open with a big spoon. Wait 5-6 hours or until as dry as you like it. Works everytime. Then I have to beat my son with a stick to keep him away from it.:grin:

There are a lot of good recipes, but this is the fastest easiest way I've found to make Jerky.

I have a Lil' Chief smoker and a bigger propane smoker, but I find making Jerky easier with this method. If you want smoke flavour, just add some liquid smoke to your cure mix.

I just tried this stuff out last week and it was pretty good... super easy. I always add chilies on top because i like it spicy, but definitely worth the minimal effort.

Browningmirage
09-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Try an even mixture of brown sugar, soy sauce, and thai sweet chili sauce

It works really well, marinate it for around 24 hours, then put er in the oven...

or wait for the cookbook, this one will hold you over until it comes out

Phoneguy
09-27-2007, 10:31 AM
This post got me thinking so I did a search on the net. Cooks.com has tons of jerky recipes, oven, dehydrator, and smoker.

I tried one last night with some old round steak (beef) that was in the freezer.
Off the top of my head it had, soy sauce, worstchier(sp) sauce, ketchup, garlic powder, onion salt, pepper, salt. Let it soak for a couple of hours and then into a dehydrator that I borrowed from a buddy.

This morning up packaged up some yummy jerky to take on our hunting trip in less than a week. Knew there was a reason I bought that vacuum packer!

Cooks.Com had lots of recipes.
Looking forward to the HuntingBC Cookbook too.

James

johnes50
09-27-2007, 01:12 PM
I used to marinate my jerky meat in a brine, but now I just mix all the ingredients together until the salt and cure is melted then I immediately throw it in the oven. That way I get same day jerky in one easy step. Plus there's less water to evaporate.

When the meat is dried enough, it is red all the way through, meaning that the cure has completely penetrated through the meat. I usually slice the meat less than 1/4 inch cause it dries faster in the oven and it gives me more slices.

I never had a problem with jerky going bad, just a problem keeping my son from eating it all in two days.:grin:

MRBucks
09-27-2007, 10:26 PM
If you find that slicing the meat thin is a pain, or you don't like the stringy bits getting stuck in your teeth when you eat it, buy a Jerky Cannon. It's like a large caulking gun. A buddy of mine and I did up a whack of Canada geese using one. You grind the meat in a meat grinder. (nice if you have an electric one) Use the coarse cutter. Mix your favorite cure in really well with the ground meat, then pack the meet into the large tube of the cannon. You then simply squeeze out a nice round length, on your dehydrator sheet, or screen. Stick it in the dehydrator for most of a day, and presto! Nice, tasty, easy to chew, jerky.:biggrin:

I bet a guy could use one of these cannons to make pepperoni at home as well. Just need the casings.

huntcoop
09-28-2007, 11:03 AM
If you find that slicing the meat thin is a pain, or you don't like the stringy bits getting stuck in your teeth when you eat it, buy a Jerky Cannon. It's like a large caulking gun. A buddy of mine and I did up a whack of Canada geese using one. You grind the meat in a meat grinder. (nice if you have an electric one) Use the coarse cutter. Mix your favorite cure in really well with the ground meat, then pack the meet into the large tube of the cannon. You then simply squeeze out a nice round length, on your dehydrator sheet, or screen. Stick it in the dehydrator for most of a day, and presto! Nice, tasty, easy to chew, jerky.:biggrin:

I bet a guy could use one of these cannons to make pepperoni at home as well. Just need the casings.

Where do ya buy a Jerky Cannon?

Nechako Outdoors
09-28-2007, 01:08 PM
We sell them :) if you're interested

huntcoop
09-28-2007, 03:19 PM
We sell them :) if you're interested

How much are they? What's included in the package and can you ship to the Island?