PDA

View Full Version : Choke Question

swamper
09-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Since moving to BC in the late 70's I have not done a lot of duck hunting. Now that the steel requirement is in place I don't want to use my good O/U.

What choke is safe to use with steel shot. I purchased a 12 gauge with variable chokes and would like to know what you folks would suggest as a good one to use with steel.

kishman
09-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I have a Benneli Nova and the only choke with a warning stamp regarding steele shot is the full one. Impvoed cylinder and modified are ok for steele. Good luck.

Wildman
09-04-2007, 04:44 PM
I have a double barrel side by side shotgun. It is an older firearm that my father gave me, that used to be his fathers shotgun. I took it into a gunsmith and I was told that it was full choke and that I had to get my barrel reemed out because I wouldnt be able to shoot steel out of it unless I did. The shotgun is made by Black Diamond (Belgium)which if I remember right is made by Browning? --cant remember. What he said is that my barrrels were made of high quality metal so I was lucky, but I had to lessen the choke to handle steel. I chose to do one barrel in modified and the other in Improved I think. In hind sight I should have bought another shotgun and kept this one original. I still have not gone duck hunting to this day....I am this year though. I know this doesnt answer your questions.....I just wanted to share my insight on changing your chokes if you have an older shotgun as a new shotgun is only a few hundred more than taking your older gun in to get modified.

4ptbuck
09-04-2007, 04:44 PM
I am shooting a light modified in my 870. Halfway between improved, and modified.

Wildman
09-04-2007, 04:45 PM
I am shooting a light modified in my 870. Halfway between improved, and modified.

Huh, never knew there was such a thing!

Ian F.
09-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Imp cylinder with steel will be close to modified with lead
Modified with steel will be close to full with steel

My favourite choke ever was imp modified for lead, wicked deadly! Ahhh days gone by..

Just bought a patternmaster short range to try out!

Ian

4ptbuck
09-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Light Modified might be a Remington thing.
Kinda the same as an Improved Modified,... or is that 1/2 between mod and full?

Ian F.
09-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Light mod is a standard designation, Imp mod is 1/2 way between mod and full.

Here's the standard list of constrictions...

Choke Bore Sizes and Constrictions (http://www.briley.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=51)

CYL = Cylinder
LTSK = Light Skeet
SK = Skeet
IMK = Improved Skeet
IC = Improved Cylinder
LM = Light Modified
M = Modified
IM = Improved Modified
LF = Light Full
F = Full
XF = Extra Full
D = Diffusion
N/A = Not Applicable

Wildman
09-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Is there a way to measure your choke to find out what it is? Calipers? Does anyone know what the dimensions are for each type of choke?

MichelD
09-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Got time to kill?

Here is some light modified reading.

http://www.wildfowlmag.com/tips_strategies/shotgun_062304/

partsman
09-05-2007, 10:08 AM
http://www.shotguncombogauge.com/multiboregauge.html

Ian F.
09-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Click the link in my post and it will give you the measuresments.

BUT!

Choke is actually the difference between the bore and the choke, not just the constriction, so you can get close with just the muzzle, but there can be as much as designation difference on guns that are backbored.

Ian