PDA

View Full Version : Geese Around?

NEEHAMA
02-02-2005, 11:35 AM
has anyone been seeing any geese recently? i hunt the pitt-river areas. are there any numbers out there yet? i live in langley, hard for me to go out spotting. dean if your reading this get that little flat bottom boat ready bro! it's almost time to go goosen! can't wait! bah du bah du bah du (goose call).

Farmer
02-02-2005, 12:30 PM
We saw a couple hundred on the first fields east of Mission on the north side of the highway on Sunday. There is also a few up Agassiz way. My 7 year old is impaitently waiting for the 12th also.
Gord.

Rhys
02-02-2005, 10:53 PM
In order to hunt geese in the Lower Mainland do I have to belong to a club? I heard something about needing special insurance. I wouldn't mind getting out hunting geese for the first time.

Rhys

Dirty
02-02-2005, 11:24 PM
In order to hunt Geese or any migratory games birds in the fraser valley you must purchase a migratory bird license, a fraser valley special area permit(acknowledges you are insured basically), and a regular bc hunting license. Also another note, you are only allowed to use steel shot to hunt migratory game birds, just thought I'd include that in case you didnt know.

Fred
02-03-2005, 12:06 AM
I live near 248th and 16th and hear them going over every morning and evening but I never paid much attention as I used to be a prairie goose hunter and as such never got excited about these local birds. Fred

Dirty
02-03-2005, 09:20 AM
Fred, you are not allowed to hunt in Langley unless you have written permission from a farmer that has proof the migratory birds are ruining his crop. It is a big hassle, not to mention people phone the cops all the time and the CO's too. It would be better to concentrate on a spot that has less people around.

BCHunter
02-03-2005, 11:21 AM
I can't wait for the 12th!

I have written permission to hunt a property in Langley:p

NEEHAMA
02-03-2005, 01:32 PM
cool thanks for the reports.

Rhys
02-03-2005, 04:14 PM
In order to hunt Geese or any migratory games birds in the fraser valley you must purchase a migratory bird license, a fraser valley special area permit(acknowledges you are insured basically), and a regular bc hunting license. Also another note, you are only allowed to use steel shot to hunt migratory game birds, just thought I'd include that in case you didnt know.

So how do i go about getting insurance? do I just go to my insurance company and say I want $1 mil in personal liability insurance? i'm asking all my friends if they know anyone in langley/abby with farms, I'm from White Rock so its a it far to get away for a couple days. I think hunting geese would be very cool. I had a great time hunting deer for the first time this year.

Rhys

Dano
02-03-2005, 06:48 PM
You can go to your insurance agent and get a liability policy for the 1 mil.. I have it included with my house insurance and a membership with the BCWF cover's you as well.

Saw a few birds a week ago when Dave (who I met on the site), and I went out for a walk near Pitt Lake. Lots of ducks around (a few weeks too late though), and the flocks of geese were smal. Maybe they are in fields someplace out here, I haven't found them yet though..............
May get out the week after opening day.

Fred
02-04-2005, 03:36 PM
I don't hunt geese here so never gave much thought to the rules. Since this topic came up though, I have been watching out for them and have seen literally hundreds of them in the fields. Where they go from there would take some scouting but it could be worthwhile. Fred

BCHunter
02-13-2005, 02:47 PM
did you make it out and hunt today?

Farmer
02-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Had 2 opportunities Saturday. Got right on top of one small flock and couldn,t knock one down. Hammerd one but he made it out to the river with the rest of the flock. After lunch got close to a couple more. Knocked a 12pounder down but couldn't finish off the second one. It also made it out to the river with the other 2 flocks that were in the surrounding fields. Checked out them out on the river but couldn't see a wounded one. I must need more practice. They sure were stupid. I just spot and stalk for geese. I was within 30 yards of both flocks. The goose sure didn't pluck easy as well as having some pinfeathers. It kept my 7 year old happy as he spotted the first flocks in the morning. There was no one else hunting around as there were geese in full view of the roads for most of the day.

Gord