PDA

View Full Version : Canning smoked salmon tricks?

MRBucks
08-31-2007, 09:36 PM
Anybody have any advice on canning freshly smoked salmon?

Dirty
08-31-2007, 09:38 PM
if it is fully cooked, just put it in long enough to seal the jars

MRBucks
09-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I haven't actually smoked it yet, it is still in the brine. I heard at sometime that you need to smoke the fish a bit different if you plan on canning it. I don't know if this means that you take it out sooner, before it drys out to much, or what?

I kind of hoped to eat some now and then can the rest, so I suppose if the stuff to be canned needs to be less than fully cooked, I could remove it from the smoker before the rest.

Dirty
09-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Smoke the fish like you would normally smoke it and eat it. Don't undercook it as it won't be as good. Just put it in the canner long enough to seal the jars. It will be the best canned fish you will ever have. Don't overpack the jars either. Cut the finished product into the proper sized chunks to fit in the jars. I hope this helps.

Gateholio
09-01-2007, 01:56 PM
You can just freeze it, too. I vac pack and freeze smoked salmon al lthe time.:cool:

thatskindafunny
09-01-2007, 02:40 PM
I have put a piece of smoked salmon in with raw salmon and canned it. Gives the whole jar a nice taste. Can as you normally would.

MRBucks
09-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Excellent, thanks for the replys!:smile:

Clarke, I would try as you suggested but my Foodsaver vacumn pack thingy is still on the mainland:sad: I got to bring it over next time I'm there.

Wildman
09-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Dont smoke it fully..and dont use salt. I smoke mine for 2 hours only then can. The canning process will enhance the smoke flavour 5 fold.

curber
10-24-2010, 08:18 AM
I use my normal brine but only smoke for 1.5 hours...I have tried it without salt and find it tastes bland to me.Make sure you rinse it extremely well before smoking....as the previous poster said all spice and smoke are magnified by canning. Hope it tuns out well.

Vader
10-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Add a half teaspoon of honey to each jar.. Candied Salmon.. YUMMY!

Yak
10-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Add a half teaspoon of honey to each jar.. Candied Salmon.. YUMMY!

Gonna have to try that!!

I just started canning salmon this year, and normally all i used was salt, but for one batch i put a cube of fully smoked salmon on top of the raw stuff before canning it and was really impressed with the turnout. Deffinately reccomend it

Yak

Backcountry archer
03-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Do you guys leave the bones in? I remember my Mom's canned fish and the bones were left in, you could mash them in with the fish when you opened a can.

d6dan
03-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Do you guys leave the bones in? I remember my Mom's canned fish and the bones were left in, you could mash them in with the fish when you opened a can.

Yup, just add a bit of vinegar and salt..It breaks the bones down..

308Lover
03-06-2011, 01:13 PM
I can mine for the full time in my pressure canner.This way you have much less shrinkage. Never a problem with bones. You need not smoke the fish very long. Half an hour was enough for 5 or 6 trout. Smoking trout/kokanee longer made them taste very strong when canned, but still to my liking. Take some spreadable cream cheese and mix with a handful of smoked trout (as thoroughly as you can) and you have a spread to die for. Easy to make and keeps well.