PDA

View Full Version : O/U shotgun for waterfowl

Wild one
04-21-2018, 04:25 PM
Any one here have experience with any of the synthetic O/U shotguns?

Yes I realize most use semiauto or pumps(own a pump already) so no need for the great debate on what action is best for waterfowl

Want an O/U for their simplicity and maybe I am a little strange lol

So if you have experience with O/U’s interested in hearing recommendations or ones to avoid

Firstblood
04-21-2018, 06:47 PM
Which synthetic ones are you looking at? I have a 20 gauge OU and a 10g SXS. Neither are synthetic but my break guns are wood and walnut and I only hunt them for fun on occasion. My serious duck gun is a SBEIII. I used to shoot better with them because I knew I had two shots to make it count, with a semi I used to just pop away, even subconsciously knowing I would miss the trigger finger wants to shoot that last round. After time and practice I shoot equally well with any of my scatter guns. Simplicity only goes so far, a bit of mud or dirt and the action wont lock or close tight and it doesnt take much.

VLD43
04-21-2018, 07:15 PM
never hunted with over and unders, but if I were considering one for hunting, I would look at a Browning Cynergy. Not sure, but I think they made or make one in stainless.

Wild one
04-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Does not seem to be a lot of options in synthetic o/u shot guns

Browning cynergy and cz swamp magnum have my interest but early in research so no real choice yet

I have always liked break actions for simplicity and keeping control of spent shells. Plus shooting lefty I am already I often resorted to rh shot guns and it’s annoying having shells fly past my face

Plus I just like things a little different lol

canishunter22-250
04-21-2018, 09:11 PM
I use a Citori for waterfowl. Made the switch 5 years ago and would never go back.

At first I thought the 2 shots vs 3 would be a drawback, but I actually bag more birds because I make my shots count that much more knowing I've only got 2.

It's really nice laying in a layout blind because I just leave my action open and throw in either #4s or BBs depending on if a flock of ducks or geese is up next on the horizon.

My dad and one of my buddies has followed suit after hunting with me.

Blacktail
04-21-2018, 09:14 PM
I have a Stoeger condor supreme that I used for quite a number of years for waterfowl when living on the west coast rock
used it for trap and skeet as well as upland
love it.
Out in alberta here I got myself a Rem semi for the third shot capability.
Still use the O/U for upland

Blainer
04-21-2018, 09:43 PM
My choice of O/U would be Winchester 101, fit, quality and a fine O/U with single select trigger, very nice feature.
Research ejectors and extractors and make decision based on findings
LOP is important to skeet shooters, but it's easily adjustable.
Browning Citori, as recommended above, is another great choice and should be handled.
If uncertain, purchase a Stoeger, Baikal, or others for less than $500 used and you can feel it out.
Likely get money back if sold to upgrade or just a change of heart.
synthetic reduces your options, good luck

Mulehahn
04-21-2018, 10:15 PM
I used to duck hunt out of a kayak and I didn't want empty hulls flying over board so i picked up a stoeger condor. Not the prettiest gun but fit pretty good and it is easy to clean/dry after a day in the mud or rain. Only real negative I had with it was the weight but wasn't walking with it all day so it was fine

nedarb2
01-08-2020, 09:10 PM
I hunt with the cynergy wicked wings o/u. Shot show special this year.
love it! But it stays home for goose hunts where I want the 3rd shot

01-08-2020, 09:36 PM
The Citori is a Wonderful O/U to shoot, hunting afield ,trap , skeet.

Lots of different options available too

mastercaster
01-08-2020, 11:31 PM
That third shot with a semi or pump is often a wasted shot,,,,,birds are usually too far away at the time of firing it. Having one rarely gets you more birds. When you know you've only got two shells to work with (O/U) you tend to make them count. That being said, I use a semi for waterfowl since my 'go to' O/U is only a 20 ga. which I've been using for upland bird hunting since 1980. I think I'll get buried with that gun!

Beachcomber
01-08-2020, 11:37 PM
That third shot with a semi or pump is often a wasted shot,,,,,birds are usually too far away at the time of firing it. Having one rarely gets you more birds. When you know you've only got two shells to work with (O/U) you tend to make them count. That being said, I use a semi for waterfowl since my 'go to' O/U is only a 20 ga. which I've been using for upland bird hunting since 1980. I think I'll get buried with that gun!

The trick for using the third shot effectively is to make sure you miss with the first two really quickly.

Dutch
01-09-2020, 01:22 AM
I hunt with the cynergy wicked wings o/u. Shot show special this year.
love it! But it stays home for goose hunts where I want the 3rd shot I use the same gun as well bought it for my Xmas present and can shoot 3.5" if I want.Had an early cynergy before didn't like it much but this one is pretty nice.Use a Benelli 828 on pheasants as well as it is lighter and I don't shoot heavy loads through it .Like the o/u as I grow older don't feel the need to build a big pile anymore ,

fearnodeer
01-09-2020, 06:55 AM
I have a Ruger Red Label and use it lots for hunting geese, worked just great for me, most cases you do not need more then 2 shots.

Ron.C
01-09-2020, 07:21 AM
Ive also been looking at o/u's for waterfowl. But I need to improve my shooting technique and want to get a little more consistent with my BPS before I get serious about looking at another toy.

I rarely take 3 shots with my pump. I do most of my hunting in the salt marsh so I was looking at some of the lower end guns. But I have yet to get my hands on one that seems to mount well "for me". Havent tried the stoeger, but looked at a tristar " just felt cheap snd junky", a lower end franchi " didnt fit me at all", and a savage " didnt fit me and seemed very cheaply made".

I had the chance to fire a citori last month and have since had my hands on several and they just seem to feel right. I am going to keep my eyes open for a used one on CGN and may pick one up during the off season.

MichelD
01-09-2020, 12:41 PM
I usually use the first two out of my pump to miss and save the third shot to blast off in frustration.

jlirot
01-09-2020, 12:41 PM
A buddy of mine who shoots literally hundreds of ducks a year only hunts with o/u. I went hunting with him and was scared to carry the Citori he handed me. All fancy gold filigree and such. But his comment was 'it's not doing any good in the safe'. I couldn't miss with that gun!

I pack a 20 gauge synergy. I got a smoking deal on a used one. I haven't shot ducks with it yet but it's a really nice o/u that didn't break the bank.