PDA

View Full Version : finally.

daycort
08-23-2007, 10:15 PM
my wife finally gave me the go ahead for a pup. I am looking for a companion and a friend for the kids. and maybe for some hunting or packing. a tough short hair that can take the climate in the FSJ area. any input would be gratly appreciated.

Fisher-Dude
08-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Visit your SPCA. They have the smartest mutts out there...too many of the purebreds have had the brains bred out of them. This guy amazes me daily with his intelligence and hunting/retrieving/sighting/smelling skills.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/01860001.jpg

Chuck
08-24-2007, 09:46 AM
He's my kind of people!

newhunterette
08-24-2007, 10:19 AM
pound puppies r the best way to go - we got Sissy 10 years ago from the SPCA slated to die list - she was so badly abused by the sheep farmer that when we got her she needed lots of love and care but she is the best dang dog today at 12 - she tries her hardest to show up our Lab
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/DSC_0243.jpg

Spokerider
08-24-2007, 10:40 AM
If you're looking for a family dog, one that will loved by everyone, you may consider bringing your wife along to help choose one.

A dog wanted / loved by only one household member is in for a tough go...........

daycort
08-24-2007, 11:10 AM
ya i am going to go to SPCA to find a pup. and a 57 is all we had as kids. and the wife and kids have been to the SPCA a few times already just looking.

ruger#1
08-24-2007, 12:14 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/small_bear_009.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5298&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=699)

horshur
08-24-2007, 01:56 PM
What you describe for wants I would hunt around for a mixed up dog--fellow around these parts bred to meet those basic requirements--some mastif blood with collie and malamute--Nice stout dog that is loyal and protective and can really pack a load.
Personally I have a beef with the SPCA dogs--road to hell being paved with good intentions--requirements to keep a dog may surprise you--they regularly deny applicants because they have small children, unfenced yards, etc ad nauseum. Frankly I dislike the uber alles.

Fisher-Dude
08-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Who says the SPCA's "rules" are bad? It's not bad to have a fenced yard or kennel run so your dog isn't killed on the highway or gets excited and runs out and nips the neighbour's kid. Some dogs aren't good with small children, so isn't it best to know that ahead of adopting a dog into a family with kids? The spaying/neutering requirement is a no-brainer when there are so many unwanted dogs put down every year because there just aren't enough good homes for them all.

The SPCA adopts thousands of great dogs into caring homes every year. It doesn't take much to meet their requirements, which I found to be common sense, practical things that any responsible dog owner should be doing in the first place.

You're just a rebel Andy. ;-)

Koot
08-24-2007, 03:14 PM
We got an Elkhound this past year and we are very impressed.Gentle,protective when he should be ,and has never had a fight.Great dog.Just make sure that you could give him the 1 hour of exercise a day that he needs.
Happy dog hunting!
Koot

horshur
08-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Who says the SPCA's "rules" are bad? It's not bad to have a fenced yard or kennel run so your dog isn't killed on the highway or gets excited and runs out and nips the neighbour's kid. Some dogs aren't good with small children, so isn't it best to know that ahead of adopting a dog into a family with kids? The spaying/neutering requirement is a no-brainer when there are so many unwanted dogs put down every year because there just aren't enough good homes for them all.

The SPCA adopts thousands of great dogs into caring homes every year. It doesn't take much to meet their requirements, which I found to be common sense, practical things that any responsible dog owner should be doing in the first place.

You're just a rebel Andy. ;-)

Did you sign a paper giving them permission to check on you and your companion's digs? A stout chain will keep a dog safe tell them your gonna chain the dog up...... I bet that won't fly.

daycort
08-24-2007, 09:23 PM
if anybody has a line on a good pup down south and are heading to the FSJ area for hunt this year let me know. willing to pay for a good dog.

Fisher-Dude
08-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Did you sign a paper giving them permission to check on you and your companion's digs? A stout chain will keep a dog safe tell them your gonna chain the dog up...... I bet that won't fly.

That's a crappy life dragging a chain around all day. A dog on a chain all day will most likely dig holes, bark all day, dump his water/food, walk in his $hit, and bolt when he's off the chain. A dog is much happier kenneled, fenced, or in the house guarding it while you're at work. Dogs who have the freedom of being able to run around a bit instead of the 10 feet of their chain will be much better adjusted and a pleasure to own. They need to be able to amuse themselves and burn off some energy to keep from getting bored and destructive.

I'll also highly recommend some professional training for your new pup. The training is as much for you as it is for the dog. Firm and consistent, and he'll learn fast.

daycort
08-24-2007, 10:03 PM
trained horses and cow dogs most of my life. like to do it myself. bad expierences from so called pros.

horshur
08-24-2007, 10:06 PM
That's a crappy life dragging a chain around all day. A dog on a chain all day will most likely dig holes, bark all day, dump his water/food, walk in his $hit, and bolt when he's off the chain. A dog is much happier kenneled, fenced, or in the house guarding it while you're at work. Dogs who have the freedom of being able to run around a bit instead of the 10 feet of their chain will be much better adjusted and a pleasure to own. They need to be able to amuse themselves and burn off some energy to keep from getting bored and destructive.

I'll also highly recommend some professional training for your new pup. The training is as much for you as it is for the dog. Firm and consistent, and he'll learn fast.

Like I said Uber Alles.;-)

Fisher-Dude
08-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Daycort, agreed, some trainers are much much better than others. You have experience, so you're good to go with getting a pup to respond. Anyone else who is checking out trainers, be sure to ask for references.

Horshur, Uber Tubers! :lol:

Dirty
08-24-2007, 10:28 PM
For a farm dog I would have a Heeler. For an all around family dog I would have a Lab or Golden Retriever hands down. If you do end up going for a Retriever breed make sure that hips and eyes are certified for both parents. Too many dogs have hip and eye problems. It would be tough to tell the wife and kid that you have to put down a gimped dog.

daycort
08-24-2007, 10:34 PM
heelers are to aggresive and lets say energetic unless they have a job to do. labs seem to like are shoes as kids. i liked are collie lab that we had. she had a blind date with a ikeda bear dog. they were tuff dogs and smart as all hell.

daycort
08-27-2007, 10:17 PM
well i think we got it down to a bernese mountain dog. the spca in fsj was a joke. does anyone have info on this dog? any known breeders? some info would help.

BlacktailStalker
08-28-2007, 10:59 AM
This lil girl Kysa, puts up more grouse than the now trained weimeraner beside her and all the labs my friends own lol.
I remember 3 years ago in January steelhead fishing the Gold, torrential downpour, wind in our face, she suddenly bolted back left, trotted into the timber about 40 yards and put up 2 grouse. I have NO idea how she smelled those. But she does it time and time again.
And shes always ready to go hunting :)
She requires a minimum of 1 hour of unconfined crazy exercise every day.

I definitely wouldnt say all purebreds are overbred. Shes smarter than most people.

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/th_HuntinBober001.jpg

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/th_101_0444.jpg

Bernese are nice dogs, there was a few in obedience class and I really liked them. Maybe because they remind me of the 2 saint bernards I had growing up, but they were well behaved and clumisly playfull.

newhunterette
08-28-2007, 01:22 PM
heelers are to aggresive and lets say energetic unless they have a job to do.

Guess she did her job - does she look agressive lol - such energy heheheehhe :)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/DSC_0307.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/DSC_0300.jpg