PDA

View Full Version : Upland Bird on the Island.

caljw
08-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Just returned from beautiful trip to Vancouver Island. While there I couldn't help but wonder at all the open farmland and dream of bird hunting. Any locals have ideas for a San Diegan who wants to hunt birds on the Island? My dad lives in Ladysmith so that would be my base. Any unusual regs? Where do I find Quail, Grouse etc. Thanks guys, you live in a beautiful part of the world

MichelD
08-14-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't know the rules about foreigners possessing firearms in Canada. Maybe someone else can advise you on that or you can go to the Canadian Gunnutz site and ask in the "legalese" thread.

Canadians must have a PAL (Possession and Aquisition Licence). I don't know if you can apply for a temporary permit or you have to have a full blown PAL.

You will need a B.C. hunter number. Unless again there is a temporary provision for you.

We require one.

You may apply for it after passing the Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education exam.

There is a book you can study if you wish to challenge the exam or you can take the course.

Then, hunter number in hand, you take $180.00 to a hunting supply shop and purchase a non-resident hunting licence. You may only hunt small game and game birds without a guide though.

todbartell
08-14-2007, 04:40 PM
non resident aliens require a license outfitter

reach
08-14-2007, 04:50 PM
non resident aliens require a license outfitter
Only for big game. Small game, including game birds, doesn't require a guide.

From the 07/08 synopsis:

Small Game

It is not necessary for a non-resident of
British Columbia to be accompanied by a
licensed guide when hunting for small game
(includes game birds).

You would have to go to a Government Agent (not your local sporting goods store) for the non-resident license, and pony up the $180 for the non-resident license and the $50 for the upland game birds species license for non-residents.

caljw
08-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks - Sounds like it could be a hassle. Will look into it some more. BTW great bird hunting here in So. Cal, Dove opens Sept 1st. our countdown is on! c'mon down.