PDA

View Full Version : Broadhead Tuning?

Laurence_Erickson
08-10-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm just getting back into bow hunting ,I picked up a second hand Darton bow .I have it driving tacks with field points.I tried a 125 gr. muzzy practice broad head and it is shooting low and left .Any help will be greatly appreciated .

Kirby
08-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Is it paper tuned?

Kirby

pupper
08-10-2007, 11:41 PM
If your cams are timed correctly and your bow is tuned correctly and it still doesnt shoot bheads the same as FP's...

1. Make sure you are shooting a properly spined arrow
2. Make sure you are shooting the same grains as your field points.
3. Make sure your broadheads dont wobble when you spin test them

then move your rest in micro adjustments untill the bheads are hitting the same spot as your FP's. In your case you would move your arrow rest low and left a hair. then re sight in your pins and your field tips and Bheads should be at the same place.

Laurence_Erickson
08-10-2007, 11:52 PM
I will definitely give this a try ,I have found some info on the web . I had a buddy in Ft.Mc Murray time it after he put in a different module.The arrows should be the right spine and the field points and Bheads are the same grain . I am sure I will be back asking more questions

Bow Walker
08-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Proper spine and properly aligned heads-inserts-shafts are critical. So is spin testing to check if everything is square and in line.

Good luck and check back to let us know how you're making out.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-15-2007, 09:03 PM
what kind of fletching are you using? is it helical or straight ... what BH are are you using .. are the blades straight or offset. If your fletches are at 2 degree offset and you blades are straight ... they will fight one another in flight ...

Without actually seeing your setup I would venture a guess that your vanes are too small to stabilize your head .... Probally shooting a 3 " vanes ... try a 4 or 5" ...you will lose a bit of speed but gain alot in accuracy

Walksalot
08-23-2007, 05:51 AM
I have had this discussion with a few knowledgeable archers/bow hunters and they claim trying to get the broad head to shoot the same as a field point is, in some cases, an unrealistic goal. Some archers/bow hunters have two sights, one for field points and one for broad heads. If my arrows are flying fine then I move my sight to zero in the broad head.
If your arrows are flying well and drop in a relatively straight line as you increase the distance then your bow is fairly well tuned.

diggerpax
10-04-2007, 12:31 AM
You can always practice during the summer with field tips, then re-sight in for BH- in theory you should be able to get them to hit the same, but it can be frustrating event if you're not being helped by a pro. Also, pay close attention to your broadhead blades- many of them will be slightly bent after hitting a target only a few times. I know I'll catch some flack for this comment, but a mechanical, if legal in your area, will fly like a field point. And,with a well placed shot, they kill just like any other head. But, we've all made poor shots in our lives, and there's no doubt I'd rather be tracking a poorly hit animal with a muzzy in him than a mechanical.

Bow Walker
10-04-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm just getting back into bow hunting ,I picked up a second hand Darton bow .I have it driving tacks with field points.I tried a 125 gr. muzzy practice broad head and it is shooting low and left .Any help will be greatly appreciated .
LE, are you married to a 125 grain head? What arrows are you using? What poundage are you shooting?

Maybe the answer is in the spine-front of center-grain weight equation.

Derek_Erickson
10-04-2007, 05:52 PM
delettteeedd

Bow Walker
10-05-2007, 08:28 AM
How long is his draw length? How long are his arrows - from nock valley to shaft end (including insert)?

According to the chart the arrows should be at least 29" long. If you are shooting 68 bs then the arrows ought to be 30" long.

Try the 400 spine Trophy Hunters at around 27.5 or 28 inches...or, cut the 350's down by an inch or so. Alternatively you could drop down to a 100 grain point. That would stiffen the shaft and change your FOC a bit.

I'd be willing to bet that you'll get better results with a slightly stiffer shaft.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Carbon_Impact_Selection_Chart.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6217&size=big&cat=500)

pupper
10-12-2007, 12:12 PM
just for future reference, I wrote an article on broadhead tuning if you care to read it can be found here: http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/viewarticle/10/12

Laurence_Erickson
10-12-2007, 03:52 PM
thanks pupper I will have a read on it .I did manage to get them shooting pretty good finally.