PDA

View Full Version : buck fever

brian
08-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Now I've never experienced buck fever because I've never had a buck in my cross hairs. But I know the first time I do, I'm going to become an adrenaline pumped mass of quivering uselessness, with a rifle. It's like a freight train that I know is coming but feel powerless to prevent. So any of the experienced guys n gals out there have any tips or strategies that can help me to deal with it when the time comes?

sparkes3
08-08-2007, 09:31 AM
take a couple of deep breaths get a hold of yer nerves and squeeze her off.i shot my first buck a couple of years ago.when i first seen him i kept staring at his rack thinking yes he is a legal four point couldnt really believe it was in front of me.shakin like a leaf took a couple of breaths to settle down and plugged him

Steeleco
08-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Brian, when that feeling stops it's time to take up golf!!!! We've all done it, go slow take your time, if the animal walks, there'll be others. And the memory will always be there.

Chuck
08-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Yes, it is a real problem, and not just some made-up fairy tale. I had it real bad when I was younger and as a result made some stupid blunders.
My remedy...I talked to myself constantly in my head and finally convinced myself that I could and would remain calm no matter what, and you know it actually worked. In fact it worked so well, that now nothing at all excites me anymore.....she said.

plumbob
08-08-2007, 11:46 AM
It's a natural feeling that I dont think ever passes but it will lesson with every animal.My wife has hunted for four years now and she is just started really relaxing with it as last year she took a 170 class mule deer.

Wildman
08-08-2007, 11:51 AM
I never had that problem. I remember my first buck. It is still the biggest I've taken. I had never shot any game before that deer. I took two shots, either one would have killed him. He fell 20' from where I shot him. I didnt, and still dont, experience that adrenaline rush "buck fever" until after I took the shot.
All I can say is practice lots and have confidance.......you will do fine. Good luck.

kennyg826
08-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Brian, these guys are right. Practice lots to build up confindence, walk slow, and train yourself to not get excited untill afterwards. I really had to put this test when I first started bow hunting.

Macgregor
08-08-2007, 12:09 PM
I've had it a couple of times. I missed a deer and a moose and when I was done and thought about it the only excuse for missing these shots was buck fever (or moose fever). Try not to get to carried away and take your time. If a person rushes everything and wounds an animal that gets away there isn't much of a worse feeling.

Sako_Halfcok
08-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Practice shooting at the range, not on a bench , but from shooting sticks, etc

08-08-2007, 03:15 PM
l hope that adrenalin rush never leaves! :) That said....practice until you get to the point you never have to think about whether you can hit what your shooting at or not. Your skill will carry you through in spite of the emotional rush. Another thing l do is concentrate exactly where l am going to place my shot, l find it helps from being distracted ogling head gear.

Shed Hunter
08-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Buck fever (malady) comes in about as many different guises as there are men and girls who succumb to this strange derangement of hunting behavior. In all its various forms, from simple loss of good judment, which is buck fever,in its milder pase, to helpless confusion and utter loss of composure, the malady is sill buck fever differing only in its effect on the hunter and the intensity of the attack. Sometimes the attack is so slight that the hunter honestly passes it off as mere carelessness in gun handling or just poor judgment in appraising the situation before him. even in the most severe cases of bewilderment, the hunter will often searct for some plausible reason to explain his unusual behavior.

Shed Hunter
08-09-2007, 03:09 PM
The more I'm fevered the more I like it junior member old time hunter

300WM
08-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I usually follow the same basic procedures whenever I spot an creature and goes something like this....

Immediately throw the truck in park, turn down the stereo, then slooooowly roll down the window, chug the rest of my beer before throwing it into the back of the pick up (I don't throw it on to the road like most as I like to lead by example), take one long drag off of my smoke then proceed to flick it out the passenger side (very important as you don't want the game to wind you), gently point the pre-loaded gun out the window, whisper to myself "I'm not as drunk as I think I am" and squeeze off 3 rounds as quickly as possible.

Seems to work for me :wink: :lol:

Paulyman
08-09-2007, 06:10 PM
300wm You almost made me piss myself laughing, nice story. seriously in order to avoid buck fever just realize that it probably will happen, just if you have time dont shoot right away, take a couple of deep breaths and just keep the crosshairs on the vitals and take a nice light squeeze of the trigger. every deer i have shot i got buck fever, i just kept those crosshairs where their supposed to be . I havent placed a bad shot yet.

Good luck!

Chuck
08-09-2007, 07:13 PM
I usually follow the same basic procedures whenever I spot an creature and goes something like this....

Immediately throw the truck in park, turn down the stereo, then slooooowly roll down the window, chug the rest of my beer before throwing it into the back of the pick up (I don't throw it on to the road like most as I like to lead by example), take one long drag off of my smoke then proceed to flick it out the passenger side (very important as you don't want the game to wind you), gently point the pre-loaded gun out the window, whisper to myself "I'm not as drunk as I think I am" and squeeze off 3 rounds as quickly as possible.

Seems to work for me :wink: :lol:

LOL...good story, bet it happens now and then too...somewhere.

300WM
08-10-2007, 07:53 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/redneck_camping.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5697)

Here's the camp we set up last year.

By the time I stumble into the truck I'm as cool as a cucumber. After about the 8th beer, any "buck fever" I may get as counter balance with the spins. Makes my shots straight and true I tell ya!

JAYDEE
08-10-2007, 08:13 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/redneck_camping.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5697)

Here's the camp we set up last year.

By the time I stumble into the truck I'm as cool as a cucumber. After about the 8th beer, any "buck fever" I may get as counter balance with the spins. Makes my shots straight and true I tell ya!
What a HILLBILLY:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Paulyman
08-11-2007, 12:34 AM
300 wm, i thought you were just trying to be funny, but after seeing the pic i guess you were giving first hand advice weren't you? lol

Mattimoose
09-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Go-out with friends to the pit and a pile of ammo, and get used to shooting on command. Take turns allowing your buddy to slap you in the back of the head when you f-up after the command to shoot. This works wonders for curing buck fever, as the indignation you feel getting slapped in the back of the head is the same as getting laughed-at for getting buck fever back at the hunt-camp. Sounds crazy, but works.

browningboy
09-05-2007, 08:51 PM
I will take a deep breath, rip a huge fart and a half, smell it then shoot, works everytime!

mntman
09-05-2007, 08:59 PM
I will take a deep breath, rip a huge fart and a half, smell it then shoot, works everytime!

yes everyone enjoys their own brand

.308win
09-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Remember, huge adrenaline rush with loaded gun! If you don't keep a level head, it can = trouble! Like most guys said, I like to take a couple deep breaths and then i talk myself through it(not aloud, hunting buddies may think you'r nuts) ie: Think about the shot, tell yourself that you have to calm down and think clearly, I have to make this one count...etc...etc...
Works for me, hope it can be of help to you!.....Just my .02

Perry

wjh131
09-06-2007, 04:13 AM
Once you see the buck you're gonna take. and he's a "for-sure shooter". do not look, again do not look at the horns through the scope. Focus on the shot placement and the kill zone and then let loose the finger of death.

mapguy
09-06-2007, 08:07 AM
an adrenalin rush is really potent esspeacialy if you have an animal after you
practice what .308 said and you should be fine

mapguy
09-06-2007, 08:09 AM
remember you don't need to get them on the first jump take your time

brian
09-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks for all the great advice!

Mr. Dean
09-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Now I've never experienced buck fever because I've never had a buck in my cross hairs. But I know the first time I do, I'm going to become an adrenaline pumped mass of quivering uselessness, with a rifle. It's like a freight train that I know is coming but feel powerless to prevent. So any of the experienced guys n gals out there have any tips or strategies that can help me to deal with it when the time comes?

Getting in on it without it knowing you're there... Take all the time in the world and settle in. View him through the scope and when the world stops shaking,,, let one fly.

I find that the fever comes in waves. Once I think that I'm good to go, the land starts jumping all over the place again. After two or three of these waves have crashed, it gets easier to control.

Remind yourself to keep breathing and 'talk' your way through the shot.

Mr. Dean
09-06-2007, 09:02 AM
I see most of what I stated was already said.

Here I thought my post was going to be compelling... Good luck.

eaglesnester
09-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Practice, practice, and practice some more. Shoot off hand, sitting, kneeling, become proficient with your rifle. Build confidence in your self and in your shooting ability. Shoot at different distances know the ballistics of your round and load, know how your bullet performs on game The buck fever will never completely go away (and we don't want it to) but you will be able to control it. This will inspire mucho confidence in your abilities and you will know where that bullet is going down range. Concentrate more on the technical aspect and the art of the shot than on the animal you are shooting at. If its a big trophy animal, don't even look at the rack after you have identified your target.