PDA

View Full Version : How many people here belong...........?

Schutzen
01-16-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm really interested to know how many of you belong to the BCWF?
If so why?
If not why?
Whats your general take on the BCWF?
Do you belong to any other organizations that are comparable?
Thanx

3kills
01-17-2005, 03:11 AM
i was last year and will be again this year..i m cuz it comes with my membership for the gun range...

01-17-2005, 08:23 AM
l do, and for the same reason as 3Kills, it comes with the gun club membership which is required to have a valid ATT. (on and on it goes!!:eek: )
l have deep reservations about the BCWF for various reasons...... When C-68 first came into effect, they (BCWF) supported the federal gov'ts posistion and strongly suggested the membership do the same........l totally disagreed with compliance and had l been able to cancell my membership, l would have! Since then BCWF has changed its opinion of the validity and usefullness of the firearms registration program.......
The BCWF works on many different fronts and issues with varying degrees of success, and l sometimes get the impression the organization has spread its resources to thin and tries to represent to many interests, and ends up not being to do any of them justice. imho I think it would be more benificial to choose a few individual areas of concern, and concentrate on them rather then the A-Z approch. Outdoor recreational users are a diversified group, and trying to represent all interests is impossible.

love the woods
01-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Yeah same for me.My gun range gives it to me.I like the magazine that comes with it though.

buckee
01-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Same here, it comes with my membership for the gun range...

I donate extra too. They stand up for our hunting rights and gun rights.

01-17-2005, 09:25 AM
I wonder how strong the BCWF membership would be if it was a paying proposistion, and not included with our club membership? Personally l wouldn't.........my interests are in the shooting/hunting area, and l financially support other groups that target those specific areas.

Steeleco
01-17-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm under the impression that a protion of a person's dues at just about any gun/fishing club is paid towards a membership for that individual. I sometimes make donations to help, although of late the volume of "junk mail" from the BCWF is increasing. Overall I think they do a fine job when you consider what they do with what little they have to do it with.

love the woods
01-17-2005, 12:38 PM
$17.00 from my gun club dues goes to bcwf.

Canuck2
01-17-2005, 01:17 PM
I have heard that the fish and gun club at Keremeos has severed their ties with the BCWF. What the issues are, I don't know, but would be interested to find out. Apparently there are a number of past members of the BCWF executive who belong to that club, so I would assume they are pretty much in the know. Anybody have any info?

bochunk2000
01-18-2005, 10:45 AM
I belong but it is a part of my range membership too.

Gateholio
01-18-2005, 09:08 PM
I belong, and it is also included in my dues.

I think only about 50% of the clubs in the province belong, which is a shame.

The BCWF does lts of good, and it provides good insurance for us, too.

If there are complaints abotu the BCWF, take them up wiht your local rep. Better still, attend a convention.;-)

boxhitch
01-19-2005, 05:06 PM
I belong, automatic with local F & G club. I am glad to support them too, there is no other body in the province that looks out for the hunter and fisherman like the BCWF.
Having said that, there are problems. Most of these seem to stem from the lack of input from various areas or groups in the province, and the appearence that the exec run the show. they can only work with the tools given, and only on the tasks presented by those that have issues. If the net has holes in , someone is going to feel slighted. To quote J Holdstock, " The world is run by those that show up ".

claudeb
01-21-2005, 05:32 PM
I am a member that reply that the bcwf supported c-68 is total crap I have been a member for 30yrs and have been to several coventions there has never been anything
but opposition to c-68 the core manager was nearly linched at the prince george
convention for suggesting that the bcwf take over mangement of the program in
b.c. anyone that hunts should belong there is power in numbers and they are the
biggest hunting org in b.c. If they say something you don't like get involved go to a meeting get it changed make your opion heard sitting on your but and whining here wont' change a thing

Gateholio
01-21-2005, 10:24 PM
http://home.cogeco.ca/~akimoya/rfc/positions.html

This a website with some info on the BCWF and how they have disanced themselves from OFAH, because the BCWF does NOT support C-68.

Check it out, it's an interesting read. Very interesting to see that so many of our fellow hunters woud sell out the rest of the shooting community.

jackychiles
01-24-2005, 11:16 PM
They are a part of my fees as well. They do appear to do good things as far as habitat restoration. What is the OFAH and why are they pissed at them ??

Jacky

Freshtracks
01-25-2005, 12:38 AM
Very interesting post. I've contemplated many times to ask the same question that Schutzen has here and see what the replies would be.

Now for my 2 cents....

I've been a member of the BCWF for some 25 years, most through affiliated dues from clubs I've belonged to and currently a direct member. I've also been a director of the Lower Mainland Region of the BCWF. I've attended many of the AGM's and can without a doubt, put in type here, that you're kidding yourself if you think a outdoor recreationalist shouldn't support the BCWF, by either affiliated dues, direct membership and your voice.... either thru petition, letter or protest support).

First a brief background on the BCWF. This organization is run by hunters, anglers and recreationalists just like you and me that value the outdoors. They are non paid volunteers who stand up for YOUR PRIVILEGE to hunt, fish, camp, access crown land, preserve habitat and countless other areas. I can honestly say during my years of enjoying the outdoors, if we didn't have the BCWF you'd be missing out on allot. First thing that comes to mind is I doubt you'd have any waterfowl/upland bird hunting right now in the lower mainland. A now deceased vet (Jack True) was one who worked hard for the hunter’s right. Currently Bill Otway and many others carry that same torch and I'm ever grateful he does. Consider this, how much bigger of an impact would it have on government decision making.... Federally, provincially or municipally, if everyone in BC that hunts, angles or enjoys the outdoors was a BCWF member, when going toe to toe with them. Because unfortunately government works in #'s...if they feel it impacts a small minority, as opposed to a large majority, you're fighting an uphill battle.

Lastly, don't mistake me for trying to paint the BCWF as the one organization. Again most local clubs work in conjunction with them, as do other large organizations such as DU, RMEF, BCWSS and numerous angler groups. What we need to remember is to try and be a united front for the good of maintaining these wonderful heritages and beautiful outdoors we enjoy. :grin:

Farmer
01-25-2005, 04:00 PM
I have been a direct member of BCWF for at least 10 years. I haven't participated in any AGMs but I follow their work in their publications and elsewhere and I must agree with Freshtracks.
This organization is very important to those involved in hunting and fishing.

My $.02

Gord

Rob
01-25-2005, 10:11 PM
I as well as 3kills got it with my range membership, yet ive never seen a magazine or any newsletters in the mail from BCWF. I'm sure i was to receive a patch or something.,maybe my money never made it to BCWF?????

Gateholio
01-25-2005, 11:57 PM
You are supposed to recieve The Outdoor Edge magazine that has a section on BCWF activities.

Rob
01-26-2005, 12:42 AM
never got it. Tom. i am going to see Bruce and find out why.

3kills
01-26-2005, 01:58 AM
speakin of range memberships and bruce i gotta renew my membership now...

coaster
01-26-2005, 11:36 AM
I am a direct member and have been a member for years. The BCWF does a good job for the hunting and fishing fraternity, they have a voice that is listened too by the Ministry in Victoria. I do not belong to a club or range and I get my insurance through them. It is one of the best places to, get ATV insurance ( liability ) which allows you to be covered on FSR's. Re. the magazine, the dues have gone up this year $40. if you want the mag. $25. if you don't..