PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for cookin' Bugs

tailgate77
08-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I am going out to wack a few bunnies, but I am not to sure the best way to cook them. I don't want to make them tough. I have had tame rabbit shake and bake which is pretty good but my wife thinks its to fatty. I don't imagine wild would be as greasy. Suggestions.

brotherjack
08-05-2007, 11:21 AM
If tender is the goal - hers' my suggestions: leave it in the fridge overnight (long enough for the rigor to let go - makes the meat much more tender). After that, either pressure cook it or slow cook it, and then season to suit (I'm partial to salt and garlic powder, with a bit of some kind of chicken and rib rub my dad gave me a jar of).

There, are of course, other ways to make yummy food out of rabbits - but if you want tender, I don't think you'll get much more tender than the above.

Tanya
08-06-2007, 06:06 AM
Quarter the rodent. Season with salt, pepper and flour and sear in a heavy frying pan or pot. Once all pieces are browned add the following. 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped carrots, and a 28oz can of diced tomatoes ( Italian seasoned, chili seasoned or plain) If using plain tomatoes add additional seasoning of choice. Cover and simmer for an hour, or you can use the slow cooker method. You will have tender bunny. The portions can be increased if you have multiple rodents, the above will cook 2 wild ones, one large domestic.

Basically if you sear the meat, and cook with an acid, covered you will get the meat tender. Beer, wine, tomato all work.