PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try a Citris Collar?

mtnmax
07-30-2007, 02:42 PM
It seems my beagle has got me into trouble with some neighbours. I got one guy two houses down who doesn't like my dog barking during the day. I guess she barked for two hours last week and then I got a phone call from the by-law officer. He said that tickets don't work but he wants me to get a Citris Collar for her. They are about $80 ,,I had the electronic collar and it didn't work woth a crap.
I anyone has triied a citris collar or has a suggestion on how to keep her quiet please let me know.http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5609&cat=500

Ride
07-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Some friends of mine have one for their dog and it works great on her. They swear by it.

beeker
07-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Haven't tried one, but am curious as to what it is?

The Dawg
07-30-2007, 06:02 PM
In my experience, its a hit and miss...it works great on some dogs, but not at all on others. Worth a try at least.

newhunterette
07-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Citronella Collars
Aromatherapy is often used to make people feel more relaxed or energized, but the use of citronella for dogs may quiet them for other reasons. You’re probably familiar with citronella in the form of those anti-mosquito candles for patios. The smell is kind of lemony and people don’t mind it at all (although in my experience, mosquitoes don’t mind it much either). Unpleasant for

dogs but not inhumane, the citronella-spray collar works on the principle that a mildly unpleasant surprise can curtail barking. The collar emits a jet of citrus scent (citronella is a natural oil), which dogs are said to dislike, when they bark. Since we are nearly at the end of our list of debarking strategies, the assumption is that you’ve tried more behaviorally-based methods and they haven’t worked. If that’s true, then it may be time to try this collar. However, like the shock collar whose description follows, the citrus collar is probably mysterious to the barking dog. He’s just going along doing what he’s always done, and for no apparent reason, he’s sprayed in the nose with something that smells nasty to him. It may put him in a bad mood until he figures out that when he barks, he gets the spray.
One website advertising such a collar says that you can reverse the effect of the collar by removing it from the dog, but then it says that dogs will learn to associate barking with being sprayed and will learn not to bark while they are wearing the collar. This assumes that the dog will always wear his collar. Another citronella collar company recommends the dog only wear the collar for 2-3 hours per day, which makes me wonder how it could be expected to work consistently if it’s not being used consistently. Maybe it depends on the dog: how astute does he have to be to link the citronella spray with his barking behavior? How long will it take him to stop barking once he wears the collar, and, once the collar comes off, will the barking resume?
Another drawback to the citronella collar is that is may be set off by the barking of a nearby dog – not necessarily the one wearing the collar. Punishing a dog for something that has nothing to do with him will completely confuse him! The Placerville Veterinary Clinic estimates that the citronella collar is twice as effective as the shock collar, and suggests that some dogs may find not only the smell aversive, but also the hissing sound the collar makes when it puffs out the citronella. With all the conflicting attitudes towards the citronella collar, it seems very worthwhile for a dog that has not succeeded with traditional Bark Prevention Training. It doesn’t hurt the animal, although it isn’t pleasant, and if it works, your problem is solved. Definitely give the citronella collar a serious attempt before moving on to more drastic measures.

Cappy
07-30-2007, 09:42 PM
My German Shepard has caused me grief as well, surprisingly the beagle hasn't. Shock collar didn't work to good on him either. The Citronella collar worked very well, but it would stop working after a few months, usually in the cold weather.

rocketrob
08-10-2007, 10:09 PM
try tri-tronics bark limiter .stop my beagles from barking,the best bark collar out there . 30 day money back guarantee i got my from www.houndhunter.com (http://www.houndhunter.com) or try tritronics.com.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Worked really well for my sister's Golden Retriever. She said it depends ona dog's personality. Hers was scared of her own shadow:-D.

SSS

RyanGSP
08-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Dont let them run out. The neighbor had one and didnt check the level. One day the dog was barking and to collar ran outta citronella so the dog figured out it just had to bark for 15 or 20 minutes for the spray to run out then it was free.

ruger#1
08-11-2007, 06:44 PM
If your using a dog shock collar, make sure the dog isn't on a chain, or you will ruin your dog.

Beverly
08-19-2007, 06:18 PM
It seems my beagle has got me into trouble with some neighbours. I got one guy two houses down who doesn't like my dog barking during the day. I guess she barked for two hours last week and then I got a phone call from the by-law officer. He said that tickets don't work but he wants me to get a Citris Collar for her. They are about $80 ,,I had the electronic collar and it didn't work woth a crap.
I anyone has triied a citris collar or has a suggestion on how to keep her quiet please let me know.http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5609&cat=500

Do you know why she is barking? ( is she unhappy? lonely? bored? no walks?)

....don't know zip about Beagles but most dogs bark for a reason, usually because they are alone in the yard too much/ change in family routine or such things. Does she have any amusement while you are gone? (Interactive toys? Dog companion?)

Why not leave her in the house?