PDA

View Full Version : Goat and Sheep

TinMan
01-13-2005, 12:42 AM
I am from Sask, me and a buddy want to go on a sheep?goat hunt. we will be sponsored buy a coupl of buddies of his . he said we would probably go around the Wilkinson Lake area zone 7-38 ish anybody no what the goat prospects are up there. i would prefer to take a goat just because the license is cheaper and I only want to buy one tag. i will save my sheep for naother time. also what type gun should I use 25/06, 30/06, 270 wsm, 300 mag, 7mm mag> I want agun that will give me some measure of protection just in case i happen across a grizz or other critters that may want to eat me hahaha.

todbartell
01-13-2005, 12:48 AM
any of the cartridges you listed would be a good pick for goat, of course the 30-06/300 Mag would be best for a bear encounter when loaded with 200-220 gr. bullets.

7mm Mag or 270 WSM would be my pick for goats out of what you listed.

houndogger
01-13-2005, 05:28 AM
Any of those will put ya down painlessly before a grizz would!:eek: ;) :lol:

huntersdad
01-13-2005, 07:42 AM
Hey Tinman

Does you buddies buddies need anymore buddies? This sponsorship thing you got going on is a pretty good thing.heheheheh

butcher
01-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Hey everybody, I'm new here but I recognize some names from other forums.

Tinman, I think you and your friend will have to settle for a goat hunt anyway. The BC govt. doesn't issue permits to accompany for sheep hunters or Grizzly hunters. You'd be better off with a goat/moose combo or goat/caribou.

BCrams
01-13-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm working on a mountain goat study up in the Williston that you are talking about. There are a few goats around.

As Butcher mentioned .... you will not be allowed to hunt or shoot sheep and grizzly.

DUKE
01-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Tinman , i had worked as a initial attack fire fighter for the bcfs for several years in that area and managed to gps a few areas that we flew over. Grizz were always in the grass basins while the goats were high in the rocks above. 10-4 that you can't get a grizz tag, but that shouldn't stop you if your shooting to save your hide. keep a clean camp, get the heck out as soon as you can,( p.s take a look over your shoulder from time to time.) i will be in that area this sept and can keep you posted on goat populations. friends dad is a wildlife bio in ft, st john. we ever meet up you will owe me a rum and some hunting stories. not the story about the windshield vrs the shotgun heard it. hehehe

TinMan
01-15-2005, 01:26 AM
I wasnt going to try and get a tag for a Grizz, i just wanted to know what type gun I should have in case I happen to meet up with one that maybe thought I may look good for dinner. Thanks though for all your advice guys

claudeb
01-15-2005, 10:44 AM
pound for pound i'd rate a goat as tougher than a g-bear to kill i've shot both

after my last goat my buddy said were lucky those things don't go 600lbs and
eat people go with the 300

leftcoast
01-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Any of those calibers will stop a Grizz. If you asked which one to avoid my advice would be avoid the 7mm Mag.. And I can't speak for the 25-06. I shot a black bear with one and it was a heart shot. Other than that I have no experience with them.

=keith=