PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Gopher hunting...

atomlowe
12-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Hey there everyone. I'm new to this whole idea and I've been speaking to a few people. I was wondering if everyone could offer up some locations within BC to do this. I'm thinking in and around the 6 hour mark from Vancouver. I'd had the suggestion of heading out towards Hedley.

Also, I'm looking at picking up a Winchester 9422 used if I can find one but a 22LR for sure. What do you use for this activity?

Adam

Marc.....site looks great BTW!!!

Marc
12-16-2003, 10:56 PM
Marc.....site looks great BTW!!!

Thanks Adam but I can’t take all the credit. Spink has put a lot of time and effort into putting this site together for me. It's too easy to forget the people on the sidelines and I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank him again. Job well done Spink! :wink:

bone-collector
12-17-2003, 12:04 AM
Hey there everyone. I'm new to this whole idea and I've been speaking to a few people. I was wondering if everyone could offer up some locations within BC to do this. I'm thinking in and around the 6 hour mark from Vancouver. I'd had the suggestion of heading out towards Hedley.

Also, I'm looking at picking up a Winchester 9422 used if I can find one but a 22LR for sure. What do you use for this activity?

not sure of any place within BC thats worth the travel , may be a few spots down south like you mentioned with a few dogs, alberta badlands is a great place to go I hear, my uncle does the trip every spring and wastes off 1000 rounds

as for prairie dog medication, I am building up a 223 (may take a while but I will get it done. I chose this caliber as its NOT a barrel burner and I wont be replacing a barrel a season like in a 22-250 with handloads , but I did want to keep that EXPLOSIVE reaction of a hi-speed heavier bullet than say a 22 hornet or a 222

I will try and get a few locations out of some guys here that head east every spring see if a trip is worth it or not :wink:

Anonymous
12-21-2003, 02:54 PM
I have been told by a couple of people that Nelson is good. Any comments?

hooligan
12-21-2003, 02:59 PM
Oops. By the way Adam, last post was just me.

Roy

SAVAGE
01-08-2004, 05:25 AM
Any thought of shooting gophers makes me green with envy, since they dont live this far nort I have a 4 to 5 hour drive to go play, up here I plink on crows, magpies & coyotes. I did live in Brooks, Alberta years ago, that was lots of fun. easy to shoot off a brick of .22 in a day down there. :lol:

Amphibious
05-15-2004, 08:39 PM
I just took 12 of the *******s in about 4hrs of hunting on a small farm with a rusted out Cooey Model 60 .22lr with open sights. these particulare ground squirls have been under heavy hunting pressure and are very very shy. but, it can be done with an old .22.

YOU DO NOT NEED A $$$$ GUN

find something cheap and learn to crawl. you can get within 50yrds easy, and a cheap .22 is more then enough. now IF I have a nice scoped centerfire or .17HMR I'm sure there would have been a nce 30 count pile easy.

have fun and good luck!

Silverado
05-20-2004, 12:43 AM
I used to use a 9422 as my gopher gun. It was some kinda fun to shoot, that's for sure. I'm going to get a bolt action .22 or .223 for it though, as it's more like practice for longer shots on big game.

Amphibious
05-28-2004, 04:42 PM
32 now. as of last weekend - to much rain all this week to chase them.

damn whistle pig hunting is fun

puppychow
05-28-2004, 06:33 PM
:) I lived in Kamllops many years ago and use to head up towards Barriere and Clearwater for gopher hunting. Some of the rancher use to ask people to shoot all the gopher because they dg holes in the cattle fields. The cattle often break their leg in the wholes. The other area was around Cache Creek, Spences Bridge and north to Clinton. Use to use a .22 Mag or a 223. Good Luck. Puppy.

Amphibious
07-25-2004, 11:16 PM
41 now. think thats it for the summer - no more acess :( (Ranch Sold)