PDA

View Full Version : Expandables vs fixed blades

xtremearchery
07-25-2007, 11:27 AM
For years I have been struggling over which broadhead is better. Fixed or expandables? I have tried spit fires and Grimm reapers. I find when you do hit an animal, end result is a big hole and very little tracking. The down side is the shots where the blades deflect either off of objects or quartering away shots result in no bagged game. This year I have tried many different fixed blades, and everytime I do I always want to go back to expandables. I like the idea of my broadheads matching my field points. The only ones I have found that come close to that are slick tricks and g5 montecs. Are there any other suggestions?

blaker_99
07-25-2007, 11:58 AM
We are currently shooting Rage 3 blade mechanical broadheads and they shoot out to 70 yards exactly like our fieldpoints with our crossbow. I would reccomend them to anyone. The come in a three pack with a practise broadhead that weighs the exacts same as the sharp broadheads. Good luck.

Geo.338
07-25-2007, 12:40 PM
I shot an elk calf with an expandable .It was a quartering away shot at 20 yds. Penetration was minimal but I hit it right in the heart and it did not go very far .After seeing the penetration I felt releived to even find it .Thunderheads only for me now.

Bow Walker
07-25-2007, 05:09 PM
This is my broadhead of choice. Needle sharp point, wickedly sharp blades, tough tough construction, and easily tuned. Razorcaps. 100 grain. Made by N.A.P.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/529PORRAZRC01.jpg

I've tried various Mechanicals but haven't been impressed, so since these fly right with my field tips I see no reason to change.

My second choice would be the Slick Tricks. Replaceable blades and easily resharpened. While these aren't Fixed blades they are the toughest replaceable blade head that I ever seen.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/529SlickTrick125-1.jpg

As always.........just one man's opinion.

Dirty
07-25-2007, 05:42 PM
I like fixed blades better. I shoot Montec G5's, try them you won't be disappointed.

calvin L
07-25-2007, 09:23 PM
I have been lucky enough to have used both the fixed and the expandables . I found I like the rocket steel heads in 100 grain (expandable). I have killed moose, bear, deer, bison and the performace has been great . They also fly the same as my field points . I was having a hard time tuning my thunder heads to my bow . I change up to the steel heads and the problem went away .I did try the rocket hammer heads with a 2" cutting dia they worked fine but on heavy boned animals I liked the smaller thicker blade of the steel head . Note with the hammer head there was always a great blood trail SHORT.

BlacktailStalker
07-26-2007, 11:04 PM
After last year and my mechanicals not opening, I am back to fixed to stay.
My wasp mech's never opened on a 3x3 and I got REAL lucky as I knicked above his elbow before only getting 4-6" of penetration, severing his femoral artery. Seems it had gotten moist being in my quiver (my guess) and gummed up.
Most awesome blood trail I've followed though, spraying 3 feet in either direction.
He made it 40 yards.

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Rocky%20Mountain%20Broadheads/Rocky_Mountain_Titanium_Broadhead_100gr_3pk/Page_1/PNT2609706.html

See how these do this year.

Elkhound
07-27-2007, 12:38 PM
I am shooting rage mechanicals.....but since I just started no experience with them on game. I am hoping to correct that thisfall:-D

jessbennett
07-27-2007, 07:07 PM
i hear the rage heads are the shiznit....:mrgreen:

Elkhound
07-27-2007, 09:07 PM
i hear the rage heads are the shiznit....:mrgreen:

Here's hoping. Did some research on some archery forums in the states and they all seem to love them. Huge wound channels.

willhunt
07-28-2007, 10:18 PM
muzzy's are great and shoot alot like a field point I know they are the "Chevrolet" tips in a world of "BMWs" but they work great for me.
--------------------------
compound :misson
arrows:maxima 250
rest:"I love my wisker buscit"
traditional bow:Southern Draw 68" longbow
arrows:33'' CX traditional 150

xtremearchery
07-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Well I found a fixed blade broadhead that flys just like my field points out of my Bowtech. Slick Tricks 100g. Paper tunned perfect aswell.

oldtimer
07-30-2007, 05:37 AM
MUZZY'S !!!! Simple design but an awesome penetrating point. My 2 cents. Mike

Sideofabarn
08-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Bowwalker, I have been eyeing off those NAP broadheads you have pictured. My question to you is this: Have you tried them on larger game? I know you guys have those little greyhounds down on the island, but just wondering about their effectiveness on moose and elk sized game. Your thoughts/experiences?

Bow Walker
08-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Bowwalker, I have been eyeing off those NAP broadheads you have pictured. My question to you is this: Have you tried them on larger game? I know you guys have those little greyhounds down on the island, but just wondering about their effectiveness on moose and elk sized game. Your thoughts/experiences?

PM sent......