PDA

View Full Version : Bulkley River at MorrisTown?

rbduck
07-23-2007, 11:36 AM
I`m heading up to Smithers in the next few weeks. Was wondering if anyone knows the price for fishing at MorrisTown these days.(familiar with "Idiot Rock"?) Is it worth fishing there or has the recent high waters affected everything? Thanks.

Ron:mrgreen:

loki
07-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Price? You mean besides the fishing license?

If someone made you pay to fish the river, something tells me that someone took your money...

As far as I know, any non Moricetown native (sorry I forget the band name) can fish the Bulkley with proper licensing. The only catch is that any Native can claim a section of river as their hole, and tell you to move. I think it's proper to sign in at the Band office, which allows them to know you're there, and increases the chance that someone will come tell you to move (fishing is one of their industries around there, no matter what anyone thinks about it).

If you're talking about the canyon that the natives fish off of as "idiot rock" I'd say it's off limits. Not that you aren't allowed to fish there, just expect to be told to move in five minutes or less. That's kind of their main fishing area. In fact I'm kind of foggy on the rules, but I think there's a big posted sign stating the canyon to be off limits to non Morice town band natives.

rbduck
07-23-2007, 07:22 PM
I used to fish there years ago. I imagine prices and rules have changed. It used to be that you bought your B.C.fishing licence then a permit from the local tribe to be able to fish on the reserve($20.00 for the season). This area was just north of where the natives gaffed their fish. This spot was called "Idiot Rock" because of all us fools standing shoulder to shoulder on the edge of a small cliff(just a little dangerous) trying to spincast with 9 to 12ft rods(try being a lefty) into fast water for that illusive giant Spring Salmon.

Ron:mrgreen:

ianwuzhere
07-23-2007, 07:43 PM
ive fished there a fair amount. Unfortunatly not this year. i am curious as to how the water is out there too. a week ago the bulkley at smithers was coffee color still. At idiot rock u can fish there no problems except sometimes natives come around and collect $10 (a year ago) from each person. This is just cuz you are fishing and parking on their land. Had relatives been asked for money at the skeena near Kitwanga. huh. makes me laf tho cuz they bring a reciet book that anyone can buy at a local store. I dont know where the money goes...
I am curious to hear how the fishing in the region 6 rivers have been lately. I think ill be that way in 3 weeks if i hear anything good. Would also like to hear on the fraser and bowron for springs..
cheers!

GrizGuy92
07-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Went through last weekend on Sunday, the water is still high and REALLY muddy, theres no1 fishing on the rocks.

ianwuzhere
07-26-2007, 07:31 AM
thanx for the report young fella, -the wait is on!!