PDA

View Full Version : String Jig

Walksalot
01-09-2005, 09:44 AM
I have been trying to make a string jig and it is making me crazy. When I turn the string inline it goes slack instead of remaining taunt. I am not doing it from any formal plans kinda create as I go. Anyone got some good plans for a string jig.

Fred
01-09-2005, 12:00 PM
You are a better man than I just for trying it. I just went for a new Zebra string and buss cable from Spuce Grove. When I come to the 3D shoots this season it will be with my Feathermax and a hunting partner.:D Fred

Nails
01-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Sorry walksalot, I am not able to help you. I know this fellow who does make them. He uses a jig he made by trial and error. If I remember right he had the same problem, he was able to fix it though it was little a thing like keeping the string taunt.

leftcoast
01-09-2005, 01:43 PM
You are talking about an endless string I assume? I got a link to plans here somewhere.

=keith=

leftcoast
01-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Here is some string making help:

http://www.buckys-sports.com/stjig/

I didn't find the jig plans themselves but I will take a look in my other browser later on.

=keith=

leftcoast
01-09-2005, 02:17 PM
I could only find a link to this one:

http://www.rfd.cc/endless/index.html

I thought I had another one but I can't find it, sorry.

If you mean a Flemish String Jig I ave plansfor one of them here as well.

=keith=

Walksalot
01-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys.
Leftcoast, thanks alot, I am making a basic string and I think I have found the problem. Now whether the problem is solved depends upon if I can straighten the parts I bent when I clubed it with the hammer.

Walksalot
01-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Well guys here it is. I hope the thing will work.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/walksalot/IM000333.jpg

leftcoast
01-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Walksalot, that looks good. Are the side rails wood or metal? I really need to build an endless string jig. I really like Flemish strings but I don't know that they are any better than an endless so should do some comparison tests.

=keith=

Walksalot
01-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Leftcoast, the rails are tubular steel and in actuality the whole thing is made of steel. It does weigh a little more than a wooden one.

Walksalot
01-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Just finishing up my second string. The jig works like a charm

willyqbc
02-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Is everything staying tight in both positions walksalot?? Or are you making adjustments when you turn them? I've always marked the position I want in line and then Adjusted it when i turned it to serve the loop, then back to the original mark to finish serving. Most jigs are like this, if you found a way around that I would be very curious as to how it was done, as I have a buddy of mine getting ready to build me a new jig right away. I'm thinking I want to do at least one end with fairly narrow gap between the posts to make it easier to do split cables. Any thoughts?

Chris

Walksalot
02-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Willyqbc, the string stays taunt in both positions and I accieved this through making the arms identical. The other arms were a bit different from each other and when I turnend the arms to serve the string it went slack. That doesn't happen any more.