PDA

View Full Version : A few nice Island Blacktails

buckee
01-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Here are a few deer I've gotten in the past 3-4 years. I'm new here so just wanted to show my mugg :smile:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/432buckeeblacktails.jpg

Nails
01-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Welcome to the site Buckee, Good looking bucks you got. I notice you hunt with bow, its great to have another opinion here.

houndogger
01-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Welcome Buckee! Nice deer.

Marc
01-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Hey Buckee, There was a young fella that lived on Gabriola Island. His nick was "The Brew" on this site and I'm sure he had sent a picture of his uncle with a nice deer. Would you be the same guy? :roll:

buckee
01-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Nope...it wasn't me.

3kills
01-08-2005, 03:58 PM
welcome to HBC..some nice deer there for sure...

Canuck2
01-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Buckee, good to see you here. Yep, those bucks are still nice.:smile:

Freshtracks
01-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Welcome Buckee,

Nice mug :p and the deer pics are great...bottm left is a nice high rack...any decent scores?

buckee
01-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Hi there Jack (Canuck2):-) So this is where you hang out eh.

Hi Freshtracks,
The only deer that has been scored in that picture is the top left 5x5. It scored 117-6/8 and won me the big-buck contest a couple of years ago. Got my name in the Vancouver Island record buck for that boy. He sure is a nice swamp-buck and looks great on the wall too.:)
That deer on the bottom left was a really nice mature brute, but he was also a 3x4, which made him not too worthy of scoring. He was one of the most exciting and shortest hunts, I have ever had. I was in my stand, not 3 minutes and was still getting my act together, when he responded to my first doe-call. He came in on the run, just like you would see a whitetail do. I had laid some scent down at 20 yrds and 10 yrds and he came out right in between the two. One scent was a squirt of artificial vanilla and the other at 20 yrds was doe-in-estrous.
The rut was in full swing and he went first to the vanilla (which gave me time to nock an arrow...LOL), then turned and slowly started walking over to the high branch I had sprayed up with the doe-in-estrous. I nailed him at 15 yrds and he only ran 60 yrds into a swamp before dropping, just out of my line of sight. It was a short, exciting morning :)

stanway
01-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Those are great pictures Buckee! I had never heard of using artificial vanilla as a scent, but that's why I'm here, to keep learning and hopefully bag a nice deer like one of yours.

Regards,

James
:D

Red Foreman
01-09-2005, 12:27 PM
What would a good sized Island blacktail weigh dressed out?I've never seen one before,I've only been to the island once and it wasn't for hunting lol.I've heard they're pretty spooky and hard to hunt.Are there lots of them around?

buckee
01-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Vannila is not a scent I use very often. It is just one of those surprise tactical scents to use spareingly, from time to time. You don't want to use it all the time, because the deer will start ignoring it after awhile, when they find out there is nothing at the end of the scent rainbow....LOL

I've found using it every once in a blue moon seems to be more effective.

Yes Red,
There are lots of blacktails here, but if you want a mature deer they are hard to hunt.
I've never weighed a field dressed deer, however, I've found over the years that
a mature buck can weigh anywhere from 85 to 115 lb here in the Valley. (That's dressed, hide, legs and head off, at the butchers)
I've heard stories from guys saying they shot a 130-150 lber up in the mountains, but I find it hard to believe here.
On the mainland the blacktails seem to be much bigger, in some areas.

Red Foreman
01-09-2005, 01:15 PM
I'll have to put that on my list of things to do,maybe make a combo trip out of it and go for some steelhead at the same time.

QnsCowboy
01-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Very nice deer and welcome to the site Buckee.....Couldn't agree more, the big black tails definitley get that way for a reason...

Craig

Fred
01-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Maybe if you guys ask real nice Steve will post a pic of that little hog he got! :lol: Fred

Mulie_Hunter
01-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Nice bucks! And Welcome to the site buckee

sloshula
01-23-2005, 11:13 PM
those are some great lookin inland deer great to see

Thunderstix
01-23-2005, 11:53 PM
Don't know how I missed this thread way back when but those are nice bucks for sure.

DBM
01-25-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm a blacktail buck nut and would take one of those over a trophy mule deer anyday. Enjoyed your article on BlacktailCountry as well.