PDA

View Full Version : Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket

bochunk2000
07-13-2007, 01:21 PM
What are you opinions on these arrows for my hunting set up?
Thanks Steve.

loki
07-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Well it may help us to post your hunting setup.

I've been looking at these myself, just wondering if they break or bend under stress?

pupper
07-13-2007, 03:54 PM
they are a heavy arrow, so they will slow your speed down thus making your pin gap larger and becuase of the loss of speed you wont be gaining any more kinetic energy than if you were to use gold tips.

I looked into getting some but I would only increase my K.E. by about 1-2lbs and reduce my speed by 20fps minimum.

Im not sure you need all that arrow wieght.

loki
07-13-2007, 04:36 PM
they are a heavy arrow, so they will slow your speed down thus making your pin gap larger and becuase of the loss of speed you wont be gaining any more kinetic energy than if you were to use gold tips.

I looked into getting some but I would only increase my K.E. by about 1-2lbs and reduce my speed by 20fps minimum.

Im not sure you need all that arrow wieght.

Well don't forget that some people consider more than just FPS and Kinetic energy when selecting arrows.

I've met some that swear their groups are tighter with heavy aluminum, and others that swear by ultra thin carbons, etc. Basically with this thought is if you're grouping better with one arrow brand over another, then FPS and Kinetic power don't really matter if you can't consistently hit the vitals.

Also, don't forget that the third (and way overlooked) equation to penetration is having a heavier projectile. On impact a lighter arrow will be stopped by friction easier than a heavier one.

Bow Walker
07-13-2007, 09:03 PM
I have to agree with pupper on this one - I don't see the ned for all that extra weight. Although, many people are using them and they seem to like them.

pupper
07-13-2007, 09:13 PM
I can group great with gold tips that weigh 8.2 grains per inch I dont see how adding 2 or more grains per inch your going to add accuracy?

the only way you could have better accuracy is if you are not shooting a sufficiently spined arrow and then you get an arrow that has the correct spine which will most likely be a tad heavier, and then it will shoot better groups.

but just adding weight for the sake of it?????? I dunno doesnt make sense.

Eagle1
07-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Basically they are an ACC in reverse, carbon core aluminum outside with a cool looking finish. They pull easier from 3- D targets cause of the aluminum.They can bend our break like an all aluminum arrow, they are heavier than most carbons,depending on carbon size,but overall a cool looking shaft.

greybark
07-13-2007, 09:48 PM
:-D Hey Bowchunk2000 , What does your arrow weight now ?

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Kitimat Killer
07-13-2007, 10:17 PM
hey guys i have them and really like them ya they are a little slower but fly really nice im just going to put blazer vanes on them for goats on aug 1st see how they work on them

bochunk2000
07-13-2007, 11:07 PM
:-D Hey Bowchunk2000 , What does your arrow weight now ?

Its 8.4gpi 27.5 in arrow=231 grains plus the weight of the insert, nock, flech, and point.
Steve

greybark
07-13-2007, 11:17 PM
8) Hey Steve , Your arrow weighs out at around 378 gns . (100gr Broadhead) I have to disagree with Pupper on this one as this is light . (keep in mind I have been out of compounds for 14 years)

pupper
07-14-2007, 12:17 AM
8) Hey Steve , Your arrow weighs out at around 378 gns . (100gr Broadhead) I have to disagree with Pupper on this one as this is light . (keep in mind I have been out of compounds for 14 years)

dont listen to him steve, for a traditional shooter if your not flinging a block of fire wood out of a stick it aint right:mrgreen:

my arrow wieghs out at 361 grains and I have taken Elk, Whitetail, and 2 black bears all with one shot kills from 20yds- 40yds on the elk.

the kinetic energy of my setup is 79 ft. lbs.

remember in the KE calculation the speed gets to be multiplied (x2) so it increases more with speed than just adding weight. Although wieght is important you dont need 600 or 700 grain arrows to make a kill.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Most hunters I know have their arrows weigh in at about 400 grains ... Trad guys use heavier arras to get penitration to make up for lack of speed that compounders generate.

My arrows are 426 grains being flung at right around the 300 mark ...
Easton Epic 340 at 28" 100 gr point Blazers and the factory nock ...X? I believe ...soon to be g-nocks as the X nocks are too fat

That all said I also have hunted with lightspeeds ...weighing in at 340 grain and done just as well
Lightspeed 400s cut at 28" 85 gr BH 4" duravanes and uni bush g-nock set up.
You will understand why I went away from Lightspeeds hunting when you see your arrow pass through a critter and smack the ground on the other side and then shatter

FMJ are great arrows ... an ACC .... the only thing I dont like About them is they tend to bend ... just like aluminums (and ACCs for that matter) they can be straightend ...thats a bonus ... but I hate straightening arras ...so I use Carbons

bochunk2000
07-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys. I appreciate the info. If it matters I use a 125 gr tip. I was able to get some off of Ebay for less than half of the price up here. All cut to my length already, 10 for 54.00usd. Three of which come with Lumenoks already installed.
Though it was worth a try at this price
Steve.

Nails
07-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Bochunk, we will have to get together when they arrive, it will be interesting to see how they group for your set up.

bochunk2000
07-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Sounds good Nails, we should shoot before that though...