PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Nootka

BlacktailStalker
07-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Off to Nootka this weekend (wind permitting)
Anybody been out?
We slayed em last year but more so a couple weeks from now.
Hopefully be back with pics, slabs, sea chickens and maybe a story or two!

Wildman
07-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Let us know......I go out to Nootka usually the last week of July. Guaranteed Slabs! If I remember right it was rather slow last year at this time out there, they seemed to show up a little later. But there was that big algea bloom out there this time last year. It's a bit slow up here right now.

BlacktailStalker
07-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Yeah I know we can find some offshore but it's nice when Maquinna is hot :) It's nice to run out at first light, limit out on halis in a couple hours, mixed in with a few 20-30lb springs and run back in when the wind picks up at 11 for bigger slabs in our honey holes.
Apparently Bajo is closed for rockfish conservation reasons...
I know Bamfield had a decent wave a little over a wekek ago but was the shits from the 7-10th so hopefully that means the majority are still up between Kyuquot and Nootka :)

Hilgy
07-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Heading out the second week of Aug. Fished all over the Island but never in Nootka. going to take a couple of my flat lander buddies from work out. Should be a good time.

Hilgy

BlacktailStalker
07-12-2007, 10:03 PM
You will do well that week.

Wildman
07-16-2007, 11:40 AM
How did you make out? It slowed right down here.....no bait anywhere. They are catching them out of Hardy though. It should get hot here soon.

BlacktailStalker
07-16-2007, 02:51 PM
We did pretty good. No halis though, which is what I wanted most lol. We did well on other ground fish, limiting out on snapper, and lings. I did get a monster 45lb ling, that was kinda cool.
The coho were THICK, we caught about 25 coho between 5-10lbs, only keeping the ones 8-10lbs which we filled our limit with. the majority came while dragging bucktails on light rods with MR'3s, making it a lot of fun. Man they hammered them !!
The springs were there but we had to work for them, unlike past trips. That was fine, as we hooked into about a dozen from 5lbs up to 25lbs, the largest I landed. Most were 12-18lbs. We ended up with 5 springs, the 25 and a 22lb getting the honourable mentions.
Aside from that, lots of hump backs in the area.
I couldnt beleive how calm it was, a very rare two days offshore.
The big springs were caught offshore about 13 miles.
There was a lot of bait, everywhere. We jigged some pilchers and cut plugged them hoping ot entice the big boys closer to shore, offering something different than the 100's of teaser head combos they were seeing from dawn til dusk but to no avail.
A couple weeks and it'll be hot.
Note; Not everybody was catching fish so get out there and put in your time everyone to see what works ;)

bushape
07-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Was at Kyuquot from the 7th thru 11th, gale force warnings everyday! Best day was Tuesday with our limit of halis. Couldnt keep the coho off the lines, but minimal retainers, most were wild.

Good luck!