PDA

View Full Version : Turkeys on the Island?

Marc
07-11-2007, 10:07 PM
I just saw what I believe was a wild turkey in one of the field near the Victoria Airport. Anyone else see anything in that area?

Hilgy
07-11-2007, 10:59 PM
I dont know about in Vic but I have seen them around Horne Lake

Hilgy

mapguy
07-12-2007, 06:56 AM
there's a flock 20 + up around mill bay so i wouldn't be surprised

Wildman
07-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Yeah, I lived in Mill Bay for most of my childhood. There were wild turkeys there for sure.

K-1
07-12-2007, 09:36 AM
I think any turkeys seen on the Island are domestic birds gone wild.

Derek_Erickson
07-12-2007, 09:40 AM
sounds almost like Girls Gone Wild, Domestic Turkey's Gone Wild!

bigwhiteys
07-12-2007, 09:40 AM
I would agree with K-1... "Organic Turkey's" are a big thing down here and there are several farmers on the peninsula raising them... My mom had 12 of the wild variety, they were big, good tasting birds.

There are probably several that have escaped from farms down here, and it wouldn't surprise me if you saw one by the airport. Some of the farms with turkeys are right close to there.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

One Shot
07-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Is there not a big Turkey barn on Government St. in Victoria? I would imagine that they have to use the airport from time to time.:mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
07-12-2007, 03:24 PM
I've seen them in Campbell river, Black creek, Dove creek, here in Courtenay and Horne Lake. The ones in Campbell River were over 50km's from any human dwelling, definitely wild.

rick stewart
07-13-2007, 09:26 AM
i remember my uncle and my dad talking about them when i was younger they told me that the goverment tried to trans plant them in the 80s. there was a flock out by durance lake,mill bay cowichan (i have seen turkeys on the lake cowichan high way)and up at the north end of the island but they had problems reproducing because of the wet springs.i don`t now for sure though .it could be coffee shop b.s

dime
07-13-2007, 02:05 PM
I've seen them in Campbell river, Black creek, Dove creek, here in Courtenay and Horne Lake. The ones in Campbell River were over 50km's from any human dwelling, definitely wild.
I think they are talking the difference between wild turkeys and escaped domesticated turkeys (feral turkeys).

big game walker hounds
07-29-2007, 12:51 AM
the wild life branh released 30 + go between sayward and campbell river around 2000 i know that much.

Islandguy
09-11-2008, 07:52 AM
I live in Shawnigan lake and have seen Wild Turkeys several times. Mind you I also saw a Peacock wander down the road the other day.:razz:

Wildman
09-11-2008, 07:59 AM
I live in Shawnigan lake and have seen Wild Turkeys several times. Mind you I also saw a Peacock wander down the road the other day.:razz:

When I went to school there, in Shawnigan, we had a Peacock on campus.

By the way...welcome Islandguy, I see this was your first post.

Bow Walker
09-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Marc - you of all people should know darn well that there are lots of "turkeys" on the Island :wink:

I've lived here - the Island - for a long, long time. Mostly Nanaimo and here on the South End. I haven't had the pleasure of seeing any turkeys of the poultry kind yet. But. There's always hope.

...and yeah, I know you were leading with your chin on that one. Some turkey just had to bite at that baited question. :wink:

Welcome to the site Islandguy - from me to!

Islandguy
09-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks very much.

huntwriter
09-11-2008, 08:42 AM
I think any turkeys seen on the Island are domestic birds gone wild.
A domestic turkey s relatively easy to distinguish from the wild birds.

Domestic turkeys are generally darker almost black. The white wing and tail feather markings of a wild turkey are dark brown or non-existent by domestic turkeys.

308Lover
09-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Biggest turkeys I've seen are in the upstairs lounge at the flight training school. LOL LOL

358win
09-11-2008, 02:43 PM
I've lived here - the Island - for a long, long time. Mostly Nanaimo and here on the South End. I haven't had the pleasure of seeing any turkeys of the poultry kind yet. But. There's always hope.

Bow Walker coming back from fishing in Cedar last fall 20 ish turkeys crossed the road in front of my jeep. Looked just like the ones I've seen in Creston.

Bow Walker
09-11-2008, 08:02 PM

Bow Walker coming back from fishing in Cedar last fall 20 ish turkeys crossed the road in front of my jeep. Looked just like the ones I've seen in Creston.
:p Those would be the ones that glow in the dark from the smell of Harmac? :-P

Although - there's some that say that the "Harmac Smell" was really the smell of money.......:redface:

ratherbefishin
09-11-2008, 08:31 PM
There was a small flock around Prospect Lake for a while-but they disappeared,likely to predation.Feral cats definately are a problem.I'm not sure what a sustainable breeding nucleus would be.Pheasants,once common, have all but disappeared from Saanich penisula-but quail seem to be thriving.If Peacocks can survive-I'm sure turkeys could as well.I understand they are on both James Island as well as Sydney island-so they can survive in this habitat

Islandeer
10-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Hey Marc,

If you are thinkin about chasin turkey's you may want to ramp it up and take one of my lab's!! :biggrin:

kishman
10-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Hard to imagine Turkeys not doing well on the Island with the mild winters.

Islandeer
10-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Hey Marc,

If you are thinkin about chasin turkey's you may want to ramp it up and take one of my lab's!! :biggrin:

Suppose Marc if you took off Marshall's nail polish he might be able to snag a turkey!! :razz::razz:

Marc
10-03-2008, 05:18 AM
Suppose Marc if you took off Marshall's nail polish he might be able to snag a turkey!! :razz::razz:

Two casts and no bites, time to change the bait. :mrgreen:

Islandeer
10-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Two casts and no bites, time to change the bait. :mrgreen:
I think something just picked the bait up .... and doesn't know it's been hooked yet. :-o