PDA

View Full Version : Methods of fishing?

loki
07-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Hello,

Please let me start this thread by stating that I am wondering what the big deal is with certain methods of fishing. In no way am I trying to wonder about ethics, or how you 'feel' about a certain way of fishing, and anyone too heated or trying to push their views can please move along, I won't read it.

So now I've been reading some threads around here, and have noticed some highly opinionated individuals stating that certain methods of fishing are "immoral" and "going to get the fishery shut down" etc etc. As long as you are fishing legally (ie no foul hooking on purpose, barbless hooks, etc), I feel that the method of fishing is up to the fisherman and unless the fisherman is harming something I have a hard time seeing why certain methods are wose than others.

For example; bottom bouncing, I have noticed that some around here think that will be the end of some fisheries? Why? Does it harm the environment? Are too many clams being left homeless by a weight crashing their shells? :lol:

Seriously though, I enjoy a good BB, and it makes for a more active day of fishing, even if all I pull up is an empty hook. If it's the argument that BBing makes it easier to foul hook, then I see it as no argument at all. I know that the feeling of a fish biting my gear is different from one that just brushed the gear, so I take it onto myself to only set the line with fish I am certain have bit. Anything else is either a mistake, or worse; intentional, which then makes the offender a poacher if they keep the fish.

Or another example I've seen around here; Jigging. Once again, you will be able to tell the difference between a fish biting, and one just brushing past.

So really I am wondering what the big deal is here with the methods of fishing? In my opinion, it's just as easy to foul hook using a float, as it is using any other method. It's up to the fisherman to know the different feeling between a brush and a bite.

It's not only this site that I've noticed this opinion. I've had some 'locals' in the Skeena area inspect my gear, find I was BBing, and attempted to chase me off the river. To which I polietly replied they could take their issue to DFO, gave them my license plate and contact info, and went back to the water telling them that when they're certain that a BB was outlawed they can stop me.

boxhitch
07-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Loki, I think its just a picture of human nature. Every one has an opinion, and some have no width of vision. Whether its fishing, hunting, religion, or sex with farm animals, someone will tell you that your way is wrong.
Don't let 'em grind you down. Stay true to what you feel good about, and lets you get sleep.

Mr. Dean
07-10-2007, 09:05 PM
(ie no foul hooking on purpose...)

I think that this is where some minds tend to go. From what I've read, I'd be leaning on the notion that ANY fish caught in this manner IS foul hooked. Reason being, it didn't take too the hook. The hook was 'installed', hence; snagged.

Apparantly, this activity has been a thorn in the A$$ of DFO for some time... I'm curious to see what's in the future in way of changes to the river guy/doll.

Kechika
07-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Loki, I think its just a picture of human nature. Every one has an opinion, and some have no width of vision. Whether its fishing, hunting, religion, or sex with farm animals, someone will tell you that your way is wrong.
Don't let 'em grind you down. Stay true to what you feel good about, and lets you get sleep.

Well said.

moosinaround
07-10-2007, 09:41 PM
So there are people that think bottom bouncing is immoral???? Too much time on their hands I say. Maybe they should try bbing and forget making judgements on people who are in fact not breaking any laws. Maybe they should be lobbying against commercial netters who scoop up the entire underwater ecosystem. That is not sporting. Anyways I think it would be hard to please everyone out there, and some people just like to hear themselves talk I guess. I'll continue to bottom bounce, fish with a float, a fly, troll and all other pefectly legal methods of fishing. Moosin.

steel_ram
07-10-2007, 09:55 PM
It's funny, some of the "purist" styles of fishing could be considered snagging by some on this board. Old style flyfishing for Salmon and Steelhead in rivers is often no more than "flossing" with the occasional full on take. The famous Tyee pool is the same, with angler and rower "setting" the hook at the slightest hesitation or bump at the rod tip. Occasionally these fish are brought up hooked sideways an released, or often the hook has pierced the outside if the mouth and hooked inward.

When a chinook hits a large bait in a natural way, it will usually hit first and come back to swallow the wounded prey. The hook often dangling from the bait may also hook the salmon on the outside of the head.

Guess everyones got to draw their own lines. To me the offenders are those that jerk huge trebles content on hooking the fish any way they can, with no regard to sportsmanship or the well being of a certain stock.

GoatGuy
07-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Boxhitch said it right.

If you're catching to keep/there aren't other sensitive species and it's food to feed your family/friends I don't care if you're using a spey or a 2X4 with nylon rope and barbed treble hooks. So long as you have a license and you're enjoying our waters all the power to ya.

(C&R is a little different because you're dealing with setups which can and will affect mortality rates.)

We can't forget that there are people who fish strictly and solely to feed their families - they catch their limit and head home.

Does it matter how they catch their fish so long as there isn't a conservation concern?

Silent Wolf
07-10-2007, 10:47 PM
The only method I use in the river for fishing is Center Pin. The true old school......

Lakes is flyfishing..

BBing yes I did it once way back to when it first opened.... I reminded me of my days on the Comm Troller no fun catching fish.

It is the SPORT I AM AFTER....

Mr. Dean
07-11-2007, 12:20 AM
I hope that I'm not being judged as a purist (Pull my finger??).

I'm a fellow that's just sitting on the fence, trying to absorb all the info that I can. Some from here, some from what's printed in black and white, some from several interviews with people in the know AND experienced fishers (flosser's).

Not having any experience with the activity, I dribble my thoughts, pass on information which supported my reasoning, in hope of gaining more info/insight.

I have one question that I would like to see answered: I see several posts that claim this fishing style as a legal one, yet I can't find anything in print that would support this claim. Can someone point me to some writings?

If sox were in the same class as herring and squid, I'd have NO reserves about it. After all, I have NO problem with snagging bucket-loads of them. My uneasiness of the situation isn't a question of ethics; I simply question the Legalities.

From what I've found so far, there is enough gray (black) matter surrounding this 'fishery', that I wouldn't dare be caught dipping my pinky toe into a pool of water w/ a flossing rig in hand. In fact, I believe that the waters are SO murky on this that all related threads pertaining to it, should probably be nuked (promotion of an illegal activity), but that's not my call.

My mind could easily be swayed IF it could absorb the info that I find essential in making a sound choice - I just haven't found it yet nor has it been presented at this time.

Now if people think that flossing SHOULD be legal, then lobby the rule-makers for change... Quit standing in the corner 'pretending' that things are fine because the fish is hooked in the mouth.:roll: That argument isn't winning ANY races (from my understanding).

All of my related posts have been done with the intentions of good will - Sorry if some might have seen it as anything less.

Thanks for tuggn' my finger... Now I have freckles in my shorts! :wink:

loki
07-11-2007, 01:42 AM
I have one question that I would like to see answered: I see several posts that claim this fishing style as a legal one, yet I can't find anything in print that would support this claim. Can someone point me to some writings?

Good question, I assume you're talking about flossing with this one, and not my general rant of BBing?

I am truly looking into this question, as I am usually blessed to fish right by a DFO officer, every season. From my lookings thus far page 9 of the 07-08 freshwaters synopsis under "Allowable Fishing Methods" seem to be the only topic close to covering this, specifically the method "Angle". This is the method that governs floats, flys, artifical lures, BBing, and assumably "flossing". I can't find anything speicifcally to the topic stating it is, or is not allowed, but then again I can't find a paragraph telling me float fishing is legal either :???:. I assume it's all under the topic of "Angling" as long as your gear is legal, and co-incides with local restrictions.

Well when it comes to flossing, I release fish, but that's my personal ethic as the flossed fish have visible line wrapping from outside the mouth, or the hook set outside the lip, etc, so I consider it a snag, which is only my personal ethic. I see flossing can happen by accident as the line going through the fish's mouth can be tugged hard enough to simulate a bite.

Steeleco
07-11-2007, 08:16 AM
I can't answer your guy's question re-"written word" but I can attest to the fact that, of the few times I have fished for socks, I've had a fisheries officer ask me to pull my line to see if I'm using a legal hook, twice. They must have had a reason to check!!! and should nail anyone not complying with the rules.

Wildman
07-11-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm in total agreement with Mr. Dean. I cant find any documentation that it is a legal way of fishing. Everything I've read states that snagging is foul hooking and foul hooking is ileagle. Why we are arguing about this is beyond me. It doesnt matter weather or not a guy needs to feed his family or not, same goes for deer. Does it make it right to shoot a deer out of season if your family is hungry? No.

One Shot
07-11-2007, 01:50 PM
I used to fish with grenades.............:mrgreen: